Considering WAHM'ing. Advice please!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 04-03-2007, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! My name is Stephanie. I'm kinda-sorta new to MDC... Rather, I lurk a bunch and post every now and then.

Anyway. I'm a SAHM. However, I always feel guilty about every purchase I make with my fiance's money. I know in theory, I work full time too and just don't happen to be paid for it, but still. He hates his job but works every hour diligently just to support our daughter and me.

I want my own spending money. I've been slowly selling our old baby clothes and other random items on Ebay, but it's not bringing in any dough. I have a crafty side, but little time/energy to really create enough to sell. I make, like, one thing a month.

SOOOO here's my question: which work-at-home situation is best for you? Surveys? Selling products like Mary Kay or Shaklee? Transcriptions? Etsy or Hyena Cart?

I have a lot of child care experience so I've been thinking of doing part-time nannying where I can bring my child along. I'm afraid this might cut into my relationship with her, though. I hate to think I'd give more of my attention to someone else's child.

Please reply. I'm so lost in this area. I think making my own money will contribute to my self esteem, too. Often I feel useless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 04-03-2007, 09:39 PM

I have a regular gig that I do as a WAHM-- You can see it on my home page and I have been at it for a long time. But when my dd was a baby, I hired a nanny that brought her own two kids along to my house to watch my baby and it worked out wonderfully for all of us. She stayed working with dd and me for 3 years. I felt that her kids benefitted from the experience and I know that my dd did love the two little girls that came over everyday, to play. You might really enjoy it, too.

Good luck to you!
#3 of 17 Old 04-04-2007, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.V. Lowi View Post
I have a regular gig that I do as a WAHM
This is really intriguing....

To OP: I have tried a few handcrafting things, and finally settled with wholesale and retail clothing production. The most lucrative thing I think I have done is making mei tais (Pack-Packs) but I got a bit burned out on it. I think the key was that I had something unique - until others started doing some similar things, which is bound to happen when you have success. My point is, though, that (I feel) you need to find something that gives you an edge since there is SO much competition. You need to find what it is that you are really good at, *then* find a way to market it. I am not good at retail - just not my bag - and have always been crafty to artistic, so I decided to go with that. With that said, there has been a large investment factor with my recent venture. I wish I could be more help. I do like it when people post what they do, and what their experiences have been - sometimes it triggers a vein of inspiration.
#4 of 17 Old 04-04-2007, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoliMum View Post
SOOOO here's my question: which work-at-home situation is best for you?
I work as a Medical Transcriptionist and love it. Honestly, there are several ways to make money working from home (I do a lot of other things on the side, in my spare time). You just have to find something that 'you' will enjoy. Something that works for one individual, may not work for another. I have a good friend who sells Mary Kay and she is amazing at it. I tried direct sales, but failed horribly.

Best of luck!
#5 of 17 Old 04-07-2007, 01:14 AM

S others have said, you need to find something that works for you. And it doesn't have to be perminent. It is ok to do something for a while and realize that it isn't working.

I tried Avon, blah. I did make some money at it, but didn't jive with the product ingredients, so felt guilty selling it. Plus it takes a certain personality to do well with direct sales.

I've sold on Ebay, until I ran out of stuff. Tried buying stuff at yard sales, but now most people put their good stuff on Ebay or charge high prices, so not much profit unless you get lucky, which I do occasionally.

I buy and sell at the flea market in the summer. My hubby sets up with his guy stuff and I buy at yard sales to sell (Household items, books, movies, etc..)

I do mystery shopping. I make about $100-300 + reimbersments (food and purchases) per month doing that.

Now I'm in the process of starting a sewing business. Mysery shopping is ok, but in my area I get stuck doing the same jobs month after month, which gets boring after a while, and the pay is very low for the amount of hours I put in.

Oh yeah, I tried GPT and nearly went out of my mind with insanity! Big bleah!

Good luck!

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#6 of 17 Old 04-07-2007, 01:39 AM

Selling products usually requires a monetary investment, as well as time away from your children.

GPT sites work really well. You can make a lot doing the free trials and even more if you're willing to pay a small S+H fee to earn $30. I made a TON of money off of these the two months that I did it. I haven't done it lately because I am focused on writing.

If you can write, try associatedcontent.com where you can get paid between 3 and 15 dollars to write an article about anything from breastfeeding to cosleeping to politics to religion.

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
#7 of 17 Old 04-07-2007, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

moonfirefairy- I can write okay. Where do the articles on associatedcontent.com go? Are they published somewhere?

heldt123- I've been wanting to mystery shop for awhile. I signed up with one company online, and they just sent me offer after offer at a bank. I wasn't keen on that, because I know banks need your ssn, etc. What company did you use?

Billie- Transcribing is something I've been considering, but don't you have to pay for training? I don't have any money to invest right now, plus I need to know that if something doesn't work out, I won't lose money. (That's why I'm not doing direct sales..)

Please keep the advice coming! Everything everyone's said has been really helpful.
#8 of 17 Old 04-07-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
heldt123- I've been wanting to mystery shop for awhile. I signed up with one company online, and they just sent me offer after offer at a bank. I wasn't keen on that, because I know banks need your ssn, etc. What company did you use?

I am signed up with about 150+ different companies and actively work with about 10-15 of them. I've done bank shops, they are usually pretty easy. I don't know which type you were offered, but the ones I've don't don't require you to provide any personal information. You usually just have to inquire about a service or something similar.

My favorite companies are: Bestmark, Customer Service Experts, Trendsource, Certified, Ritter, GFK, First Point, Corporate Research, Kern Scheduling, Gap Busters, Secret Shopper, and Service Intelligence.

Just DO NOT sign up with any company that makes you pay...scam city!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#9 of 17 Old 04-08-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Billie- Transcribing is something I've been considering, but don't you have to pay for training? I don't have any money to invest right now, plus I need to know that if something doesn't work out, I won't lose money. (That's why I'm not doing direct sales..)
Yes, you do. Personally, I think it's worth the investment if you think it's something you will enjoy. The school I attended had a very high job placement rate (98%). Plus, I was able to deduct the cost of the course on my taxes. You can also apply for financial aid. I did a lot of research first to make sure it was something that would work out and that I would enjoy.

Good luck with whatever you chose!
#10 of 17 Old 04-11-2007, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billie View Post
Yes, you do. Personally, I think it's worth the investment if you think it's something you will enjoy. The school I attended had a very high job placement rate (98%). Plus, I was able to deduct the cost of the course on my taxes. You can also apply for financial aid. I did a lot of research first to make sure it was something that would work out and that I would enjoy.

Good luck with whatever you chose!
I had no idea you could study from home!

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#11 of 17 Old 04-11-2007, 02:41 AM

"What company did you use?"

you'll need to sign up with dozens. like heldt123 said, it sounds very normal to me for a successful, serious mystery shopper to be signed up with a hundred and working with 10-15 on a regular basis. A lot of the work in becoming profitable is piecing together enough work from diferent sources and coordinating a route or schedule so you're not wasting time and gas between the jobs. that's a lot of computer time before you even perform the work and write the reports.

in addition to the companies she listed, I liked working with Checkmark, ShopnCheck, Dynamic Advantage, EPMS, Infotel. Though again, I've been out of the full-time MS biz for about 2 years now, so things may have changed.

FYI, the actual companies being shopped are different depending on your location, and change whenever contracts run out. So though I went to restaurant A for company X, they may now use company Y, but on the east coast they may have always used company Z.

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#12 of 17 Old 04-11-2007, 10:42 AM

I've always enjoyed delivering newspapers and phone books. I can do it with my kids, we get to go out for a walk, and I even love being "forced" to get out all year long.

In our old town we had a small extra paper that was just delivered once a week in the afternoon, and that was great. But I think I am going to get signed up to be a morning deliver here soon.
#13 of 17 Old 04-11-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchrissyy View Post
"Checkmark, ShopnCheck, Dynamic Advantage, EPMS, Infotel.
Didn't see this one mentioned.... I've done shops with Intellishop. They actually contacted me, after getting my number from someone locally. Payed me 55 dollars to spend 45 min. in a cell shop taking pics and completing their survey.

Their most recent shop involved taking your children to get pics with the easter bunny.
#14 of 17 Old 04-11-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebsMama05 View Post
I had no idea you could study from home!
Yes, you can. Actually, attending one of the online 'approved' courses will give you a better chance of finding a work-at-home job after graduating. Many, (not all, but many) graduates of local colleges, find that they have to work in a hospital after graduating, getting experience, before any at-home companies will hire them. Many National employers will waive the 2-3 yr experience requirment if you graduate from an approved school.
#15 of 17 Old 04-12-2007, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billie View Post
Yes, you can. Actually, attending one of the online 'approved' courses will give you a better chance of finding a work-at-home job after graduating. Many, (not all, but many) graduates of local colleges, find that they have to work in a hospital after graduating, getting experience, before any at-home companies will hire them. Many National employers will waive the 2-3 yr experience requirment if you graduate from an approved school.
I did use your link to request info. we'll see.....

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#16 of 17 Old 04-12-2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchrissyy View Post
...in addition to the companies she listed, I liked working with Checkmark, ShopnCheck, Dynamic Advantage, EPMS, Infotel.
Oh, how could I forget ShopnCheck! I'm dancing a jig with the $312 deposit I just got for two trips worth of bonused photo shops! I had to do some driving, though.

#17 of 17 Old 04-13-2007, 03:32 AM

oh, and Mercantile has nice restaurants at least around here...

PS- cool about the bonused photo shops!

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page