What USB foot pedal and keyboard do you use - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-06-2007, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
for transcription work? I am eyeing the Microsoft 4000 Ergonomic keyboard. I love split keyboards. I need to go try one out. Some say keys are hard to push but I type a good bit on an old IBM selectric typewriter.

There is such a price range on pedals. Is expensive any better than cheap? They just need to work with a variety of software, right?
#2 of 13 Old 04-06-2007, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know nothing about foot pedals, but I do a lot of work on the computer and have one of those split keyboards and absolutely love it. It doesn't take long to get used to IMO.

Actually, my ds spilled some water on it and it's not working at the very moment, but we're hoping after drying out it's back to normal. arg...
#3 of 13 Old 04-07-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeel View Post
for transcription work? I am eyeing the Microsoft 4000 Ergonomic keyboard. I love split keyboards. I need to go try one out. Some say keys are hard to push but I type a good bit on an old IBM selectric typewriter.

There is such a price range on pedals. Is expensive any better than cheap? They just need to work with a variety of software, right?

My mother bought one of those split keyboards and loves it!

As for the foot pedal... Check with your employer/school first. They may be able to get you a discount. Also, they should be able to tell you if their software requires a specific footpedal/connection. I have 2 footpedals due to compatibility with different software. My MIL had a 3rd footpedal when she was working (small company), and neither one of my footpedals would work with that software. Usually, you won't have a problem and any USB pedal should work. However, if you already have a school/job lined up, it may help to ask.

ETA: Many companies and schools WILL provide you with a footpedal. I didn't pay for mine.
#4 of 13 Old 04-07-2007, 06:18 PM

DH loves split keyboards, he types 100 WPM. I hate them, I type about 30 WPM (less if you care about spelling.) If you go by us split keyboards are for good typists.

As for the foot pedal I've never seen one. If I were to guess I would say it functions as a key you use frequently like tab or shift.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#5 of 13 Old 04-08-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
As for the foot pedal I've never seen one. If I were to guess I would say it functions as a key you use frequently like tab or shift.
A footpedal allows you to start, stop, fast forward, etc. a voice file, using your foot, without having to remove your hands from the keyboard.
#6 of 13 Old 04-29-2007, 09:03 PM

I use an Infinity foot pedal with Express Scribe and haven't had any issues so far. My keyboard is really bad and I need a new one, so I'd love to hear what others use. I type about 80 wpm but I don't type "the right way" so I'd be afraid to get one of the split ones. I think it would really mess me up.
#7 of 13 Old 04-30-2007, 01:00 AM

Hey, I use the Infinity too!! The USB with 3 pedals?!?! I LOVE IT!

I have to use the regular keyboard also, the split ones mess with my brain...and slows my typing significantly. I do muuuuch better with the 'old-fashioned' keyboards thank you very much!
#8 of 13 Old 04-30-2007, 01:00 AM

I have a Microsoft, it's more 'curved' than split. Slowed me down for a couple of days, but now it's way faster. I'd like one that's quieter and a bit easier to press, but this one works for now. There were only a couple to choose from in town, so maybe the next I'll order online.

Also have an assortment of foot pedals, it's really up to the employer. I think most anything will work with expressscribe (I use a USB one for that) and that's what I use to type up sample dictation for testing.
#9 of 13 Old 04-30-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by attachedmamaof3 View Post
Hey, I use the Infinity too!! The USB with 3 pedals?!?! I LOVE IT!
Yup, that's the one. Although who ever uses the fast forward pedal? Not me!

I'm glad I'm not the only one with keyboard "issues." The split ones look so scary to me. I can touch type but not the regular way so I'm pretty sure it would be a big old mess if I tried one of those.

I really need a new keyboard, though. On weekends I steal my kids' Dell keyboard off their computer while they're at their dad's, because it's so easy to type on. Maybe I'll get one of those even though I don't have a Dell.
#10 of 13 Old 04-30-2007, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

I got the infinity foot pedal and love it. I also got the Microsoft 4000 Ergonomic keyboard. It is sooooo worth the money. Immediately, I noticed an increase in my speed and comfort is beyond belief.
#11 of 13 Old 05-01-2007, 02:54 AM

This is completely OT, but right now, I have my keyboard propped up on an old paper clip 'cause my toddler broke off the leg thingie but I'm still more worried about getting a new headset cause these old 'in the ear' bud things aren't doing it for me!! They've worked for SOOOO long and I don't know if my ears are just getting used to them or they're wearing out or what *sigh* I would like a decent keyboard, but the split ones make my head go

uuuuuhhuhsuhsshuhh whaaaaaaaaaat?
#12 of 13 Old 05-01-2007, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Right now, I am doing with a spare pair of MP3 headphones. I do want something that is noise-cancelling. But, they are not in the budget. SennHeiser makes some nice ones.
#13 of 13 Old 09-15-2007, 09:50 PM

I use the Infinity pedal too, with Express Scribe. Didn't pay for mine--it came with the course. I type about 70WPM now, and am considering a split keyboard. I know nothing about them though. Why are they called split? Are the keys in the same place as a regular keyboard?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page