Would You Buy It?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 04-24-2007, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, just had a wonderful idea! Would anyone buy a hand-painted railroad spike? We were thinking of doing custom designs, everything from floral designs to Names, to sports teams, states, and religious symbols. Each would be packaged in a nice box, and they would be sealed so the color wouldn't rub off during handling.

I was thinking $15 for a custom design to start my little enterprise up. Shipping would depend on location, and would be the ACTUAL shipping costs, not some inflated cost.

Would any of you buy something like this? I mean, some of them would be entirely painted, and some, depending on design, would still show some of the iron (southwestern designs, certain florals, etc.) It would probably take between 3 and 5 days to make each one, and another few to ship them out. Would you be willing to wait up to 2 weeks to receive something like this in the mail?

Lemme know!
TIA
#2 of 16 Old 04-24-2007, 07:33 PM

Okay, call me clueless . . . but what is a railroad spike?

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#3 of 16 Old 04-24-2007, 07:35 PM

My question is what would I do with a painted railroad spike? Would you fashion some kind of display that I could purchase also or.. ?
#4 of 16 Old 04-24-2007, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

A railroad spike is basically a piece of history! They're what the railroad companies use to 'tie' down the train tracks. They usually get replaced every few years, and literally just THROWN into the forest around the tracks, so some of the spikes are probably QUITE old.

I was thinking we might also sell shadowboxes or even possible a wooden 'stand' for display purposes. I actually have one hanging over my front and back doors.

The idea is, each one would be hand-painted however the 'customer' wanted... making them a perfect addition to each customer's home. I was even thinking of initialing each piece I painted, so if the business ever got big, they would be even more collectible.
#5 of 16 Old 04-24-2007, 08:05 PM

If they were sealed appropriately, they would make a wonderful addition to a garden. Especially as a memorial for a loved one who's passed away!

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
#6 of 16 Old 04-24-2007, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the great idea Blu!

I'm now looking to see if I can find suitable wooden display stands, or shadowboxes, anyone know any WAHM's who would want to 'team up' and sell their product through a joint website?
#7 of 16 Old 04-25-2007, 12:18 PM

How big are they? (Height wise?) I'm thinking it would be a nice way to mark my new ( ) herb garden? Do you have some place we can see what your talking about - like photobucket or a blog or something?

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999
#8 of 16 Old 04-25-2007, 05:13 PM

Can you post a picture of one to let us know what you are talking about?
#9 of 16 Old 04-25-2007, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

They're between 7 and 11inches tall, and they would be awesome for an herb garden.

I'll try to get some pics asap.
#10 of 16 Old 04-26-2007, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reikagoth View Post
Shipping would depend on location, and would be the ACTUAL shipping costs, not some inflated cost.
To be fair, I just wanted to say that charging more than the actual postage is really not exactly "inflated." You have materials involved in shipping (boxes--possibly to get free with certain shipping companies--labels, ink from printer, etc.) and time involved in creating the shipment and sending it off. Before I started a business, I was loathe to pay shipping for anything. But now I understand. No, I don't want to pay $12 for something that I know only costs $5 based on weight, but I think that actual postage plus a little extra is reasonable to account for costs associated with shipping.
#11 of 16 Old 04-27-2007, 02:32 AM

I gotta say I wouldn't buy a painted railroad spike just to have. If I wanted one as an antique I would want it in original condition.

However, if I had the right kid of decor I might want a railroad spike made into something like a door knocker, paper weight, nut cracker, etc.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#12 of 16 Old 04-27-2007, 02:49 AM

i doubt i would by one, but i might. i rarely buy decorative things though.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#13 of 16 Old 04-29-2007, 12:09 AM

At first I thought, "That is totally stupid." But then the mention of using it as a marker in a garden made me think twice. I think that'd be a great idea. You could paint the top and use it as a label. I'd go for that.
I also think using them as useful objects (like the door knocker mentioned above) would be more appealing than just a spike sitting around the house. What about windchimes?
#14 of 16 Old 04-29-2007, 12:29 AM

I think if they were turned into useful items they woudl be cool. I'd never buy one just to have. But I grew up aroudn railroad tracks so the novelty wore off, lol. As garden markers, windchimes or other creative uses I think they'd be cool.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#15 of 16 Old 04-29-2007, 12:32 AM

I would definitely buy one. It's a great idea!!!

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#16 of 16 Old 04-30-2007, 11:36 AM

I would not buy one. But I will tell you you can send them in the flat-rate priority mail envelope, for just over $4.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page