Critique product, please? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 56 Old 05-01-2007, 01:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherSanders View Post
As a woman without a tremendous budget, but having been in business and having first-hand knowledge of the time, effort, expenditures and outlay of all sorts ... I find this article, The Question/ The Answer to be exceedingly informative in answering questions of this nature.

When I first opened The Diaper Hyena (don't worry, I'm not spamming ... I sold it back in 2004), this article was submitted anonymously. I thought it was powerful and it really made me re-evaluate the way I purchased and viewed the cost of hand-made items.

It might be good for a discussion outside of this thread, but I wanted to post it to chew on.
I enjoyed the article- thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 56 Old 05-01-2007, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by art4babies View Post
I forgot about that darn thing - I had one (a gift) and the thing *killed* my back - the reason I got into mei tais in the first place.
Something about it and my build ... it fit perfect for me. Jeff and I both loved it. But I've always been completely enchanted with the mei tais look. If I had another child I would totally "invest" in a quality mei tai!
#33 of 56 Old 05-01-2007, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Not at all -
I have figured it all out, and with supplies and all, I am making less than $10/hr on these. I feel that is more than fair. (I have tattoos, too, and paid the artist $75./hr...) I see mei tais go for what you mention, and I used to make them for about that price (I still think I was underselling myself), but there is far more that goes into this particular carrier including internal padding, rails, hidden seam pocket - I don't think these other carriers you spoke of have all that. Also, I think if someone comes up with an idea (such as a design that makes the bag obsolete, or a really great buckle system) then they should get paid for that. I also see ring slings go for over $100, and there isn't *nearly* as much time in the construction or materials. There is always a market for less expensive things, but I wanted to create something a little more involved - I had gone the other route before. Also, it is not made in a factory, and some people understand that. Not that you don't, but they understand that they can get cheaper stuff that is made in a factory.

Oh - I have had them up for about three days, and I have sold 5, so yeah, so far so good. Middle class, is my target area, I guess. I think if someone in need really wanted one, I would work with them, though.

definitely. i see what you're saying. if i could make one suggestion though, it would be to play up your unique features. after a few looks around your website i started to catch on but you should incorporate those special additions in BIG letters somewhere. to me, as a fairly savvy babywearing consumer i was like "huh? why would i buy THIS over <insert whatever other generic soft structured carrier> instead?" until you posted this.
#34 of 56 Old 05-01-2007, 02:02 AM

Nice!

Some sugg:
~I too, agree having a model~

Also your fabric colors/choices so the customer can see, unless you will offer just the one you have pictured?

~What makes your slings special & different? Add your selling points

Great job Mama
#35 of 56 Old 05-01-2007, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
About the French, Amy--
I've never really seen a slang version of n'est-ce pas, but doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

About the prices--
When I saw how much you were charging I was ecstatic. This is how much mei tais should go for. The ones that cost $55 probably won't be around for the long haul, or if they do stick around, their price will go up. Because that price is not sustainable for the amount of work they take. Also, all major brands cost around $80+.
#36 of 56 Old 05-01-2007, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethwl View Post

About the prices--
When I saw how much you were charging I was ecstatic. This is how much mei tais should go for. The ones that cost $55 probably won't be around for the long haul, or if they do stick around, their price will go up. Because that price is not sustainable for the amount of work they take. Also, all major brands cost around $80+.
I suppose we could have another thread on this... or maybe several. It is discouraging when people under price their items. I have spoken to people who sell pouches for about $20, and on the surface, it may seem reasonable - after all, they are just doing it to support their starbucks affliction or something to that affect. However, and maybe some other share this opinion, the materials or technique might be there. I am not saying this isn't a *good* product. There are indeed many people who may not be able to afford the higher priced items. It doesn't mean that the higher priced ones are the same as the lower priced ones. There are many many different aspects but I don't what to bore anyone. That isn't what this thread is about, anyway. I think that there are people who know many of the different aspects, though, and want something that meets those standards. Again, I am not saying the lower priced items are bad at all. I do think a lot of people are just crafting on the side and barely covering their cots (or probably not at all when you consider their equipment and time promoting, etc.) but people tend to see the price difference first, and the product second - if at all. It is a big world out there - even of just baby carriers.
#37 of 56 Old 05-01-2007, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
About the French, Amy--
I've never really seen a slang version of n'est-ce pas, but doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
I changed it anyway - don't want to sound like a hick, if even a French hick.
#38 of 56 Old 05-01-2007, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avena View Post
Also your fabric colors/choices so the customer can see, unless you will offer just the one you have pictured?
uh oh - they are here:
http://www.babyfairies.com/store/ind...&productId=218

but I better fix that - this is hard to notice.
nak
considering re-doing site entirely.
#39 of 56 Old 05-01-2007, 05:47 PM

I would like to see it in action
I would like to know the size range for carrying with it (age and weight guides)
I would like to know about cleaning it
I would like to know what the inside looks like, a few images from different angles

Looks great, though, those are just the things I would add!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#40 of 56 Old 05-01-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
uh oh - they are here:
http://www.babyfairies.com/store/ind...&productId=218

but I better fix that - this is hard to notice.
nak
considering re-doing site entirely.
This link is much better in terms of info and such! Still don't see info on carrying range, which would be really useful I think (and from using other similar carriers I imagine it is a selling point because you can argue that it can be used for years)

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#41 of 56 Old 05-01-2007, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Geat comments!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAX View Post
I would like to see it in action
working on that right now - getting model her personal favorite.
Quote:
I would like to know the size range for carrying with it (age and weight guides)
added this, but am also working on redesigning the site - hopefully - to better illustrate these features
Quote:
I would like to know about cleaning it
Will add that - thanks!
Quote:
I would like to know what the inside looks like, a few images from different angles
Good idea!
#42 of 56 Old 05-01-2007, 06:40 PM

Don't know if it's doable, but I LOVE that my Ergo came with an instruction DVD. I didn't feel okay doing the back carry until I had seen it done on the DVD... Maybe a link to a video of someone demonstrating carries?
#43 of 56 Old 05-01-2007, 07:14 PM

I havent read all of the posts (so forgive me if this was mentioned too many times already) but I really like the layout a lot. I do, however, think that the text on the samples/around the product is really tough to read/fuzzy.

IMO there's really something to be said by a simple uncluttered design. It lets the product be the focus. Having those pics of your carrier (and the one of it tied up in a neat little package is GREAT!) and adding pics of someone wearing it is a great idea. But definitely the lack of clutter is a positive, in my opinion.
#44 of 56 Old 05-01-2007, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhoneyswife View Post
Don't know if it's doable, but I LOVE that my Ergo came with an instruction DVD. I didn't feel okay doing the back carry until I had seen it done on the DVD... Maybe a link to a video of someone demonstrating carries?
That is a fine idea, no doubt.
#45 of 56 Old 05-01-2007, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenlaana View Post
I havent read all of the posts (so forgive me if this was mentioned too many times already) but I really like the layout a lot. I do, however, think that the text on the samples/around the product is really tough to read/fuzzy.

IMO there's really something to be said by a simple uncluttered design. It lets the product be the focus. Having those pics of your carrier (and the one of it tied up in a neat little package is GREAT!) and adding pics of someone wearing it is a great idea. But definitely the lack of clutter is a positive, in my opinion.
Thanks - I appreciate this. I have been thinking about changing all sorts of things, but one thing I *do* like is the almost starkness of the site. I know some people don't, but I think it is modern and clean. I would like to clean up the images (as you note) and add some other formatting, but I do like the minimalistic look, leaving to focus on the products, so it is good to know someone else feels that way, too.
#46 of 56 Old 05-01-2007, 09:17 PM

Art4Babies, count me in as glad to see your pricing too.

mamabee, this thread may be very enlightening to you- expensive slings, costs of production, and market segments were discussed at The BabyWearer recently.

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#47 of 56 Old 05-08-2007, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

OK - I finally got some model pics up - (she was fast fast fast once I sent the carrier) and I *think* I have made changes for most of not all of the other suggestions...

http://www.babyfairies.com/store/ind...ewCat&catId=60

Of course more suggestions would be welcomed.
#48 of 56 Old 05-08-2007, 02:48 PM

Isn't Stephanie nice to work with?
#49 of 56 Old 05-08-2007, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

She is delightful! Yes! I thought I was lucky she wanted to work with me!
#50 of 56 Old 05-08-2007, 08:23 PM

She lives in Chicago, and she answered when I posted asking for models for my fleece mei tai covers. I had no idea she did photography of her own until after I shot the photographs. Luckily, they were respectable. And I have a very good camera, I really should learn how to use it better!
#51 of 56 Old 05-08-2007, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

I guess it is her SO that does the photos - ? They are brilliant.
#52 of 56 Old 05-08-2007, 10:29 PM

Amy- I love the new photos with the model. This really enlivens the page and the product for me. I wouldn't have given the pac-pac a second glance, before but these photos made me take a much closer look at the product. This is what really matters to me when I make an online purchase. Bravo to you- it looks great!
#53 of 56 Old 05-09-2007, 01:54 AM

She told me what she does (and doesn't this sound tedious?) is set up the camera exactly how she wants it, all the right settings etc., frames the shot, then goes and poses while dh clicks the button.
#54 of 56 Old 05-09-2007, 02:02 AM

greta photos.
Also, I much prefer the fabric choices as displayed on the actual MT, not the swatch. I supose you're working to change the rest over- good

are you not doing the arrowed features photo anywhere? It doesn't seem necesary as much now that you display the parts in action.
the bulleted fetaures list is a bit hard to read only because of line spacing. see, you've improved so much all I have left is nitpicking

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#55 of 56 Old 05-09-2007, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
She told me what she does (and doesn't this sound tedious?) is set up the camera exactly how she wants it, all the right settings etc., frames the shot, then goes and poses while dh clicks the button.
ha! That's about *all* I trust my DH with when it comes to taking pics. lol
#56 of 56 Old 05-09-2007, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchrissyy View Post
see, you've improved so much all I have left is nitpicking
Awe sucks! Thanks!
I haven't figured out where to put the arrowed photo of the Pack-Pack features, because I don't want people to have to keep scrolling, scrolling, down the page. I guess that is also why everything is so compact. I am seriously thinking of reformatting the entire site. I wasn't planning on it, but the business seems to be growing which seems to make all the warts more evident.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page