Critique product, please? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 56 Old 04-26-2007, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Finally, finally, finally, I have gotten my baby carrier up on my site. I am wondering about its product information, though. It feels like it is missing something - a lot, perhaps? Can someone please give me some feedback on its representation?

http://www.babyfairies.com/store/ind...ewCat&catId=60
#2 of 56 Old 04-26-2007, 03:19 AM

Absolutely needs a pic of a model using it, I wouldn't buy a sling without seeing it in action Other then that, the info looks good!

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#3 of 56 Old 04-26-2007, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Yes - this is in the works right now. I have someone taking pictures in a couple days and I will post them immediately. Thanks for the comment - it confirms my own thoughts.
#4 of 56 Old 04-26-2007, 12:18 PM

Will your model pics also demonstrate how to put on the pack-pack? When I look at this carrier it isn't self-explanatory how it is used.

I would recommend putting some of your description in text, and not all in a graphic. Some people view graphics, but some have a tendency to need the text in an orderly fashion (As in not just wrapped around a graphic.). The page feels very blank - lots of white space - without text.

I love all the retro fabrics, but it is difficult to read the name/text atop those images. Can it be added as text below them against the white?

You've been getting a lot of great PR in the magazines. I would suggest investing in the design of a clear logo (it is a bit blurry from my view) based on your current design and also investing in a webdesign that will better show off your products.

This Pack-Pack is really attractive and the fold-down design makes it a great, convenient carrier. Very Smart! I may have to feature it in my Cool Crap on my blog - I love it when design and function merge so well. Can you let me know when you get some model pics?

You'll have a good deal of hits, I would imagine, from all this coverage. In my opinion, the logo and website doesn't reflect the type of professional face visitors from the magazines will be expecting to find.
#5 of 56 Old 04-26-2007, 01:41 PM

The praise: I love the look and color of your products. The photos are great. If you can get similar great pics of the pack-pack, the page will look great and add a wonderful splash of color, as well as the info customers will be looking for (ie how does it work, what will it look like on...).

The critique: I absolutely love clean and simple lines on any website, but the white on the plain tan background is a little too simple in contrast to your products, especially on that page. I think you need something a little more eye-catching. ITA with Heather that a great logo that is more colorful and custom designed would better reflect your items. Because from the photos both on your site and in the mags, your stuff looks just beautiful - great fabrics and high quality. But, your current logo/color scheme, to me, doesn't truly reflect the unique designer flair your items offer. (Sorry! ) Just the change to a brighter, colorful, eye-catching logo (inspired by your gorgeous clothes!) could tie together the neutral background and white table with the fun fabrics , giving the entire site a unique character all its own ~ exactly what you do with each item you create.

Oh -- FYI, there is something 'off' on the bottom of your index page. The copyright info is merged into the products, skewing the images and words there. The section on other pages appears fine.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#6 of 56 Old 04-26-2007, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofgrace View Post
The critique: I absolutely love clean and simple lines on any website, but the white on the plain tan background is a little too simple in contrast to your products, especially on that page.
What *tan* background? You see a tan background - ?????

I an always put money into my website and the design - I mean, that is something I am always wanting to do, but I really can't afford to do it, financially or emotionally. I sort of like where the website it right now, and I have gotten a lot of good feedback (as well) on the logo. I might try to clean it up, but I like the logo itself. I do understand with the PR I am getting that the site should look more professional, but I didn't want to decline the offer because of the website. I had tried to fix it up a little before the magazines came up, but that was all I could afford right now.

As far as the product (the real reason I posted - I easily digress - lol) I appreciate all the comments and am making notes. It is always hard for me to give these away (for pics, or what-have-you) because there is so much time involved, but I have one out for pics (and library donation) and another one for pics is on its way to fruition.

I do like the comments about reading the fabrics and features - this is very helpful, and thoughtful.
#7 of 56 Old 04-26-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by art4babies View Post
This one.

I apologize that I commented beyond the scope of your OP. :
#8 of 56 Old 04-26-2007, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Oh -- FYI, there is something 'off' on the bottom of your index page. The copyright info is merged into the products, skewing the images and words there. The section on other pages appears fine.
I know - I don't know how to fix that and I don't want to bug the woman that helped me with my site. We fixed it once, but it came back. There is that, and the images of the "new products" that overlaps. I have had so much trouble with my new cart that I am letting things slide that I probably shouldn't.

"If I just had the money..." *You* know.
#9 of 56 Old 04-26-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
In Firefox on my iMac, the entire page background is tan, while the table (the section with the products) is stark white. Though I just looked in Safari, and the whole page (background + product table) is the bright white. So maybe your cart's coding wasn't written to be Firefox compatible?

And I'm sorry if I struck a nerve with the logo. If you like it, then of course, keep it.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#10 of 56 Old 04-26-2007, 03:09 PM

Holy crossposting batman!

I'm glad Heather gave you a screenshot. I haven't figured out how to do that on my iMac yet (it's my first mac ).

#11 of 56 Old 04-26-2007, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
In Firefox on my iMac, the entire page background is tan, while the table (the section with the products) is stark white. Though I just looked in Safari, and the whole page (background + product table) is the bright white. So maybe your cart's coding wasn't written to be Firefox compatible?
I have Firefox, and I don't see the tan background. Weird.
Quote:
And I'm sorry if I struck a nerve with the logo. If you like it, then of course, keep it.
Goodness no!
I am *not*easily offended. I guess I was just stating that it is not the top of my priority list, but I am glad to know that two people thing it needs to be addressed.
#12 of 56 Old 04-26-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I have Firefox, and I don't see the tan background. Weird.
It is because of your screen resolution.
What is it set too?
Mine is set to 1024x768. Fewer and fewer people look via 800px resolutions ... so you'll want to be aware of what everyone sees with higher resolution settings.

It has nothing to do with your browser though.

Wait! I take that back. If your code and CSS don't validate XHTML it "could" be how the browser is reading your code. There's that...
#13 of 56 Old 04-26-2007, 03:30 PM

Wanted to add ... that I see the tan background in Firefox, IE7.0 and Netscape.
#14 of 56 Old 04-26-2007, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

This stuff is crazy - it could suck all my energy. lol

I checked, and it *said* my screen resolution was set to 1024x768, but I made it even higher, and I could see the tan background, (after everything got tiny, then big again) then I checked back, and it said 1024x768 again and I could still see the tan... go figure.
#15 of 56 Old 04-26-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
This stuff is crazy - it could suck all my energy. lol

I checked, and it *said* my screen resolution was set to 1024x768, but I made it even higher, and I could see the tan background, (after everything got tiny, then big again) then I checked back, and it said 1024x768 again and I could still see the tan... go figure.
Bwahahaha :

I swear ... computers. I know people say they only do what we tell them to do, but I'm very likely to think otherwise!
#16 of 56 Old 04-26-2007, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Amen, sista.
I challenge the concept. lolol
#17 of 56 Old 04-26-2007, 05:08 PM

cool carrier! and with your quality and fabircs, I'm sure it's fabulous in person too.

so, the photo. I didn't understand what it was or how to wear it fomr the photo (with or without text and arrows). then when I got to "based on MT" suddenly I understood- oh those are straps, oh that's a sleeping hood! well, not everybody will have that recognition, and the "based on a MT" line is on the category page but not the item description (I lost it when I clicked from your home page right to it as a featured product)

so, I like the photo you have now, and I think the arrowed one is important, but it's got to come after the more obvious veiws, don't make me have to think oh, speaking of a bit too complicated... "4 layered rails"? "straps for hood and travel"? I think that shot could be de-cluttered a bit. it's already got the photo and lines, try to keep the words fewer. Oh, and move them just a bit further from the carrier and maybe enlarge the whole thing. it's just a bit harder to read than I'd like.

the strap color choices are navy and black, but you show tan too? is that an omission?

I agree that the features should be listed in text as well. some basic answers are missing too- it's 1 size, it's washable, it does front, back, hip. handmade, made in the US, instructions included... (I'm guessing, but you see)

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#18 of 56 Old 04-26-2007, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherSanders View Post
Wait! I take that back. If your code and CSS don't validate XHTML it "could" be how the browser is reading your code. There's that...
it's only the CubeCart copyright that is not allowing the code to validate, and there's no way to edit that since the program adds it in unless you pay for the license. It is so hard to get shopping cart code to validate when they add in bits that you can't control.

sorry for continuing the hijack

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#19 of 56 Old 04-26-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubelin View Post
it's only the CubeCart copyright that is not allowing the code to validate, and there's no way to edit that since the program adds it in unless you pay for the license. It is so hard to get shopping cart code to validate when they add in bits that you can't control.

sorry for continuing the hijack
No hijack - I didn't actually check the errors ...I was correcting myself a bit.

And YES, shopping carts are difficult to validate when you don't have access to the full cart's code. Is some of it symlinked or does the full cart run on the server?

NOT that it is important in this conversation. Again, rubelin we go off on a tangent! :
#20 of 56 Old 04-27-2007, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

I will reply in more detail when I am less tired , but I just wanted to mention my appreciation for the thoughtful comments.

I have amended the color options, and know I need to have color examples of the four color choices: khaki, natural, black, and navy. (Those should all show up now.) I had accidentally put one of the other options under A-line dresses, and now I can't remove the damn thing - it gives me an error.

Why, oh, why do cart issues always show up? lol
#21 of 56 Old 04-27-2007, 02:16 PM

the color names on the swatches are hard to read. can you get them to display under them instead of on them?

good work

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#22 of 56 Old 04-27-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthea™ View Post
Absolutely needs a pic of a model using it, I wouldn't buy a sling without seeing it in action Other then that, the info looks good!
:
#23 of 56 Old 04-27-2007, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchrissyy View Post
the color names on the swatches are hard to read. can you get them to display under them instead of on them?

good work
Thanks - yes - that is pretty high priority.

I also am having the pics done right now, and have another Pack-Pack in the works for another model, who hopefully can do some instructional photos too.
#24 of 56 Old 04-28-2007, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
First, the carrier looks great, and I agree with most of the suggestions here (about pics wearing slings, etc). Here's just a little nitpicky thing for your French phrase.

n'es pas?! should read n'est-ce pas?!

And I love that vinyl booster chair! How can you retail that for only $68?? Original pattern? It looks very cool.
#25 of 56 Old 04-28-2007, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethwl View Post

n'es pas?! should read n'est-ce pas?!
Oh, that's embarrassing - I guess I learned it differently in French class, or is it that it was over 20 years ago? Anyway...

The way you have it, isn't it like "Is it not?"?
And the way I have it, is it like "ain't it?"?
(And that is probably improper grammar and punctuation.)
#26 of 56 Old 04-30-2007, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

I have listed the features, but decided I need to redo the site. I have already sold a few of the Pack-Packs so this should help fund the redesign. That way I can do roll-overs of the details as well as a better list of features, and yes, make the site look as quality as the product.
#27 of 56 Old 04-30-2007, 11:18 PM

just out of curiousity, and just tell me to mind my own business if you don't feel like sharing, but have these sold well? i'm looking at the price and scratching my head. i'm ALL about WAHMs making decent money off their product but for $110 i can buy two mei tais with sleep hoods and seperate carrying bags or an ergo and accessories -- i'm just wondering if you're target market is just very, very wealthy or if i'm missing something. no offense meant at all, it's a beautiful carrier, i'm just trying to see your wow factor and unique appeal. i'm sure i'm missing something!
#28 of 56 Old 04-30-2007, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_bee View Post
just out of curiousity, and just tell me to mind my own business if you don't feel like sharing, but have these sold well? i'm looking at the price and scratching my head. i'm ALL about WAHMs making decent money off their product but for $110 i can buy two mei tais with sleep hoods and seperate carrying bags or an ergo and accessories -- i'm just wondering if you're target market is just very, very wealthy or if i'm missing something. no offense meant at all, it's a beautiful carrier, i'm just trying to see your wow factor and unique appeal. i'm sure i'm missing something!
Not at all -
I have figured it all out, and with supplies and all, I am making less than $10/hr on these. I feel that is more than fair. (I have tattoos, too, and paid the artist $75./hr...) I see mei tais go for what you mention, and I used to make them for about that price (I still think I was underselling myself), but there is far more that goes into this particular carrier including internal padding, rails, hidden seam pocket - I don't think these other carriers you spoke of have all that. Also, I think if someone comes up with an idea (such as a design that makes the bag obsolete, or a really great buckle system) then they should get paid for that. I also see ring slings go for over $100, and there isn't *nearly* as much time in the construction or materials. There is always a market for less expensive things, but I wanted to create something a little more involved - I had gone the other route before. Also, it is not made in a factory, and some people understand that. Not that you don't, but they understand that they can get cheaper stuff that is made in a factory.

Oh - I have had them up for about three days, and I have sold 5, so yeah, so far so good. Middle class, is my target area, I guess. I think if someone in need really wanted one, I would work with them, though.
#29 of 56 Old 04-30-2007, 11:47 PM

As a woman without a tremendous budget, but having been in business and having first-hand knowledge of the time, effort, expenditures and outlay of all sorts ... I find this article, The Question/ The Answer to be exceedingly informative in answering questions of this nature.

When I first opened The Diaper Hyena (don't worry, I'm not spamming ... I sold it back in 2004), this article was submitted anonymously. I thought it was powerful and it really made me re-evaluate the way I purchased and viewed the cost of hand-made items.

It might be good for a discussion outside of this thread, but I wanted to post it to chew on.

I would pay $110.00 for a good carrier - one that would last me through the carrying time of my child and subsequent children. I paid nearly that much for a Baby Bjorn that was worn every day, nearly all day for 6 months. It was well worth it to me and my children.
#30 of 56 Old 04-30-2007, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherSanders View Post
I paid nearly that much for a Baby Bjorn that was worn every day, nearly all day for 6 months.
I forgot about that darn thing - I had one (a gift) and the thing *killed* my back - the reason I got into mei tais in the first place.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page