"Stayin Home and Lovin It" - anyone done this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 25 Old 05-03-2007, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter
 
ACsMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Coastal NC
Posts: 1,099
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This web site http://stayinhomeandlovinit.com was advertized in Mothering mag and I was curious to see if any of you have experience with this (whatever it is). I haven't requested more information yet - just wanted to get a feel for whether it's legit or not, whether it's worth a try or not. Anybody heard of it?

Thanks very much for any input!

Jen, mom of  two amazing girls, b. 2/16/06  and 1/29/10 hbac.gif

ACsMom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 25 Old 05-04-2007, 12:25 AM
 
thriftyqueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The Peace Garden State
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am pretty sure it is Melaleuca. I believe that they work by signing people up to order (preferred customer sign up) through Melaleuca. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com
 

thriftyqueen is offline  
#3 of 25 Old 05-04-2007, 10:25 AM
 
phathui5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Oregon
Posts: 17,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
MLM! MLM!

No one I know who has done Meleluca has ever come out making money in the end. Plus, you start to annoy your friends and family because you have to sign people up under you and it's not easy to find people that want to do it.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
phathui5 is offline  
#4 of 25 Old 05-04-2007, 09:25 PM
 
heldt123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Is crazy a location?
Posts: 2,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BTDT - blech

sorry

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

heldt123 is offline  
#5 of 25 Old 05-06-2007, 03:49 PM
 
Billie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am morally against this company (and the MANY MANY MANY other names it uses). They state "No Selling. No Parties. No Risk". The only thing true about that statement is the "No Parties." You have to purchase a membership in order to 'work' with them and to get any money, you have to convince others to order the membership. My advice.... STAY AWAY!

ETA: They are a part of Melaleuca. According to the BBB report: "The Bureau processed a total of 335 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total of 335 complaints closed in 36 months, 96 were closed in the last year."
Billie is offline  
#6 of 25 Old 05-06-2007, 03:54 PM
 
tayndrewsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: WI
Posts: 10,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billie View Post
I am morally against this company (and the MANY MANY MANY other names it uses). They state "No Selling. No Parties. No Risk". The only thing true about that statement is the "No Parties." You have to purchase a membership in order to 'work' with them and to get any money, you have to convince others to order the membership. My advice.... STAY AWAY!
Far away! They also are not very forthcoming about their product ingredients. Most things say "propietary ingredients" and they expect you to believe and trust them that they are safe for your family. Another thing to know is that Melaleuca itself has never claimed to have non-toxic products. It's groups like this one and The MOM Team that throw that one around.
tayndrewsmama is offline  
#7 of 25 Old 05-07-2007, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
 
ACsMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Coastal NC
Posts: 1,099
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks, everyone. I'm glad I listened to my instincts and asked before I dove in. Guess the moral of the story is that if it sounds too good to be true....

Jen, mom of  two amazing girls, b. 2/16/06  and 1/29/10 hbac.gif

ACsMom is offline  
#8 of 25 Old 05-19-2007, 01:37 AM
 
akilamonique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't know anything about Melaluca when I requested information, they were calling me for weeks!!!!!
No matter what they tell you it is MLM!!
YOU have to spend a certain amount to even work for them!
Melaluca is also sold under several different guises!!!! Basically advertisment you come across that is geared toward women, that mentions No Selling, No Iventory and No parties is probably Melaluca. Off the top of my head, I remember checking out:
1. Stayin home and lovin it
2. Mom Execs
Shoot! I can't think of the rest of the places I requeste info from but they all sold Melaluca, and when I asked why there were so many different guises, no on had an answer.
Just don't fall for it!!!
akilamonique is offline  
#9 of 25 Old 05-19-2007, 01:43 AM
 
marisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 1,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The different names are because there are different downlines...at least that is how I understood it.
marisa is offline  
#10 of 25 Old 05-20-2007, 09:27 PM
 
thriftyqueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The Peace Garden State
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can understand both points of view on this. I was a part of Melaleuca for a while and was a little turned off by the fact that they don't disclose what the business is when they advertise it. I can understand why they do it, though, as it gets people to call to find out more. I am not crazy about the business practice, but it is smart and they have obviously figured out that is works.

The other thing that bothered me was the fact that they were big into how healthy it was for your house and how "chemical" free it was. I am sure it is better than mainstream products, but after using the bathroom cleaner a couple of times and feeling like I needed to use a gas mask because the smell of chemicals was so strong, I started researching a bit more. It is not chemical free and it bothers me that they can't be honest enough to disclose the ingredients on their label. Labeling as surfactants tells a person nothing and I can't be okay with purchasing products from a company that isn't completely truthful.

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com
 

thriftyqueen is offline  
#11 of 25 Old 05-21-2007, 09:10 AM
 
HeatherSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Piney Woods of Texas
Posts: 13,072
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There have been several posts removed from this thread. Any further responses need to be in response to the OP who wrote:
Quote:
This web site http://stayinhomeandlovinit.com was advertized in Mothering mag and I was curious to see if any of you have experience with this (whatever it is). I haven't requested more information yet - just wanted to get a feel for whether it's legit or not, whether it's worth a try or not. Anybody heard of it?
If you have a personal experience with this company that you would like to share in response to the OP, please do. Do not, however, respond to challenge or debate another's experience or your post will be deleted.

If you work for this company, please remember the forum guidelines and be sure not to promote or spam the company in any way within your post.
HeatherSanders is offline  
#12 of 25 Old 05-21-2007, 09:22 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Healing my heart
Posts: 6,041
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've seen this advertised everywhere, and would NOT get involved. I saw an ad in our paper about wroking at home, setting up accounts online & thought "Hey, that sounds like something I could do!" and it turned out to be for the Melaluca products.

They have sneaky advertising, and I don't agree with their so called "natural" products. Is there TRULY anything a mom can do at home that doesn't involve selling anything??? Highly unlikely!

Mama~Love is offline  
#13 of 25 Old 05-22-2007, 05:04 PM
 
amydawnsmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 972
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did sign up with Melaleuca and LOVED the products!!!! They are soooooo awesome!!! And I love the fact that they make their products as natural as possible!!!

The products are very concentrated and last a LONG time. Which is good.
But having to buy 35 points worth of products every month to get the Preferred Customer price was too much for us, a family of three. The monthly bill was between $80 to $100. They do give you up to 12% back in shipping costs if you order by the 16th of the month so after a few orders you can use the credit towards free products which is nice.

The thing is it IS hard to sell to those around you. However you can mass-market to customers through the internet or email with a health minded approach (the idea behind Stayin Home and Lovin It) or can split advertising in magazines like Mothering with other SHALI moms to build your business.

The lady who signed me up was doing really well at it. She became the breadwinner and was working full-time promoting it from home while her husband stayed home with the kids. It really worked for her.

As you reach a certain level (I forget the exact details) you need to buy 75 points worth of products each month. Really the key is finding people that love the products and have the resources to spend about $100 a month on Melaleuca whether they need it or not.

Some people might easily use 35 or 75 product points per month if they took the vitamins, used the laundry detergent, body products and energy bars.

We stayed with it for about a year and then it became too much. Now I order the Vita Bears (children's multivitamin and mineral supplements) through a friend who renews her membership as needed.

They are good products, the key is affording them or finding people to commit to buying them monthly.
amydawnsmommy is offline  
#14 of 25 Old 05-22-2007, 06:40 PM
 
tayndrewsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: WI
Posts: 10,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unfortunately amydawnsmommy, I have to disagree with you on the safety of the products. Melaluca the company is not the one that is pushing the whole "non-toxic" and natural as possible line. It is the groups like Stayin' Home and Loving It and MOM Team and the others that created that push, so to speak. That is part of the whole reason why Mela doesn't allow people to advertise their name in anything. Ultimately, it is the 'salesperson' that is responsible for the words that they use, not Mela. KWIM?

If you ever read the labels, almost all of them do not list the entire list of ingredients. They say "Proprietary Formula" which among others, also means 'private'. For example, the list on the Tub & Tile states
Quote:
Citric acid, solvents, surfactants, solubizer, fragrance, Melaleuca Oil and preservative.
Almost all of those ingredients can be any one of hundreds of things. Some safe and some not, but we do not know which ones they are. Even if you call Mela and tell them that someone in your house has a particular chemical allergy and that you need to know if any of their products contains it, they WILL NOT tell you. I have tried and so have many others. They would rather lose customers than disclose what the ingredients are in their products. Some might say that is because they don't want copycats, but I disagree. That is what patents are for and protect them against. The bottles even say
Quote:
Avoid prolonged or repeated exposure to the skin.
Not my idea of something that is as safe as so many claim it is.

I am not trying to bash your feelings on them, I just want to make sure that people are aware that this stuff is not really 'so safe you can drink it', as I was told once.
tayndrewsmama is offline  
#15 of 25 Old 05-22-2007, 10:44 PM
 
De-lovely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: easing in....rising up...
Posts: 3,754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama View Post

I am not trying to bash your feelings on them, I just want to make sure that people are aware that this stuff is not really 'so safe you can drink it', as I was told once.

There is a warning label on many products which in my book means NOT SAFE....they claim non-toxic but they are really non-caustic which is very different. Definetly not the natural product line they claim it to be.....plus it always feels sneaky.....just because they never say who they are from the beginning.....its always "wellness products".....
De-lovely is offline  
#16 of 25 Old 05-22-2007, 10:54 PM
 
tayndrewsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: WI
Posts: 10,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by De-lovely
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama
I am not trying to bash your feelings on them, I just want to make sure that people are aware that this stuff is not really 'so safe you can drink it', as I was told once.
There is a warning label on many products which in my book means NOT SAFE....they claim non-toxic but they are really non-caustic which is very different. Definetly not the natural product line they claim it to be.....plus it always feels sneaky.....just because they never say who they are from the beginning.....its always "wellness products".....
ITA. If you notice, Melaluca corporate employees do not make any claims on their products, it's the "members" who are doing this. I think they play on the emotions of mothers who want to be home with their children and want or really need to make money too. Funny how many other natural companies out there are doing just fine marketing their products through retail and being 100% honest about the ingredients. Luck? I think not.
tayndrewsmama is offline  
#17 of 25 Old 05-22-2007, 10:59 PM
 
granolalight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: deep in the heart of Texas
Posts: 1,391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yep, SHALI is Melaleuca. I was a part of SHALI for a while. Although I'm not anymore, I do like the company a lot and I like the products. I achieved (and still have) the first level of director. My family orders 75 product points a month and don't have difficulty doing that. We order the Access Bars, vitamins, and all the rest.

It was difficult to work over the internet and talk with strangers who are very suspicious right off the bat (as you were, and as you should be b/c there is so much wierdness out there). But they are a good group of people, just wanting to make $ from home and be home with their kids.

Doing my best every day with DH , DD (11) , and DS (4)

granolalight is offline  
#18 of 25 Old 05-24-2007, 10:17 AM
 
amydawnsmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 972
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by De-lovely View Post
plus it always feels sneaky.....just because they never say who they are from the beginning.....its always "wellness products".....
I agree! I never liked the sneakiness of not saying who they were.
It did make it feel weird.

Of course we were asked to join someone at Tim Hortons years ago and ended up spending 2 hours listening to him go on and on and we were NOT impressed. We could not justify $5 for a bar of soap and thought they were nuts.

Of course he never told us that their products were better for the environment and us or I would have listened.

Not sharing the product ingredients list does feel sneaky but from a trade secret point of view I can see it.

I'm with TNI and as much as the corporate people know the facts about noni and how it helps people the FDA says you're not allowed to claim the facts. : So the only way to inform people of it's benefits are to have the reps (who aren't officially attached to the company) educate people. And yeah the technicalities do make it difficult. For example on my TNI webpage I can't use my noni story. : It's pretty ridiculous to me. All because they don't want people making broad claims and assumptions!

But of course the drug companies can make ridiculous claims!!! And if people don't read the often 3 page list of warnings they can be seriously hurt because of the 'medicine' that is supposed to be helping them!
amydawnsmommy is offline  
#19 of 25 Old 05-24-2007, 10:46 AM
 
tayndrewsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: WI
Posts: 10,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amydawnsmommy
Not sharing the product ingredients list does feel sneaky but from a trade secret point of view I can see it.

I'm with TNI and as much as the corporate people know the facts about noni and how it helps people the FDA says you're not allowed to claim the facts. So the only way to inform people of it's benefits are to have the reps (who aren't officially attached to the company) educate people. And yeah the technicalities do make it difficult. For example on my TNI webpage I can't use my noni story. It's pretty ridiculous to me. All because they don't want people making broad claims and assumptions!
That is a good point, but doesn't apply to Melaleuca in this case. Somewhere around here I have that marketing binder from them and it doesn't make ANY of the super safe/great for the environment claims that the mom's groups with them are making to people. It's not a case of Mela needing reps to make those 'claims', it's reps making those claims all by themselves. Who are they to decided the safety of the chemical makeup of their products?
tayndrewsmama is offline  
#20 of 25 Old 05-30-2007, 12:26 PM
 
kchapman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Maine
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was with Melaleuca for over 2 years. I did not do well with the business structure. Some do. If you can close the deal -get someone to commit to making a monthly purchase-you can do well. I did not find many people willing to do that.
The products are safer than most of what you find in the store but not natural and Melaleuca does not make those claims. It is the teams that do that. You are loaded with "scare tactic" information by the teams some true some not so true.
I also found the teams to be very competitive.
I would not recommend the business to anyone who cannot afford to spend $60-$80 a month-every month-
Happy to say I found something better
kchapman is offline  
#21 of 25 Old 05-30-2007, 01:09 PM
 
Peacemamalove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Essex Junction,Vermont
Posts: 3,721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tried it and I was so disappointed!! I was stuck having to pay a lot every month I think it was about 60 -80 dollars and getting only a small box of stuff...I would not recommend doing it at all!!!

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
Peacemamalove is offline  
#22 of 25 Old 06-11-2007, 11:26 PM
 
ABand3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 1,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just went to a Melaleuca 'party' tonight, and had a not quite ok feeling about it. I thought I'd do a little reading about it first to confirm (or not) my gut feelings that I'm already cleaning much more naturally than their products (the look on the reps face when I answered her question about what I use to clean my bathroom - priceless!) and even though you can cancell anytime there is pressure to spend a lot of money every month. Even though they offered a $1 joining fee, I decided I didn't want to buy their stuff even if it was no risk and less expensive per item.

I heard the 'so safe you can drink it' line, and then read the labels on a couple things. I'm sorry, if my kids drank some, I'd call poision control just as fast as a mainstream cleaning product. And a rub on pain reliever listed artifical blue and yellow coloring, how is that natural? and why is it necessary? Big disappointment!
ABand3 is offline  
#23 of 25 Old 07-08-2007, 12:38 AM
 
Maggi315's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm subbing and hoping to hear more about the company. Someone at our church is selling it and loves the products. She wants me to carry them for my pregnant clients. However, I do feel uncomfortable not knowing what is in their products, how can I recommend something when I don't know what's in it?

and for my own family, we are filled with allergies, all kinds. so I don't like not knowing what is the exact ingredients. for instance, on the celiac group, they mention that many products contain gluten and don't list them. how would I be sure?

This woman invited us over next wednesday, my husband really doesn't want to go and waste an evening for something he's not at all interested in, how do we politely call back and decline? She has been very persistent, another thing which I find very uncomfortable.

We have also used Shaklee before, I can't remember if they list all product ingredients? Other brands of vitamins do list them and if not, they have been able to tell me over the phone the exact ingredients or send them to be in an email.

Anyone who wants to pm me or send me links, please do so, i will go clean out my mailbox!!!
Maggi315 is offline  
#24 of 25 Old 07-08-2007, 02:09 AM
 
apple_dumpling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Barb I don't know that much about it myself, but I have a neighbor who sells it, and she was SO persistant for a while about getting me into it that I just had to tell her NO... anytime people really hound me that much over getting into a 'business' I get a bad feeling about it.... like they are only concerned about making themselves more money!

Like the poster above said, I know they tout the products as "natural", and maybe they are better than some of the conventional cleaners... but more "natural" solutions can be found to cleaning than those products. Sure it might take a little more work and not be as convenient, but some of the ingredients in them didn't strike me as completely natural either. I just wasn't sold enough on the concept (and I didn't like the woman hounding me every single day either) Needless to say, now that she knows I'm not interested in signing up, she barely talks to me if she sees me outside
apple_dumpling is offline  
#25 of 25 Old 07-08-2007, 06:40 PM
 
Vito's Mommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In the land of overpriced homes.
Posts: 763
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was with Melaleuca and Stayin Home & Lovin It (SHALI) for almost a year. At first I thought this was totally for me, as I fell for the "natural, non-toxic" speech.

Long story short; although they have pretty good products, yet as most have pointed out, they are not at all as natural or non-toxic as some claim them to be. I was on the phone A LOT near the end, as something just wasn't setting right with the whole "proprietary" thing and I felt my questions were being dodged. My main concern was the animal friendly/animal ingredient issues. I had questioned this from the beginning and the SHALI rep assured me all was well in those catagories (my bad).

I decided to go over everyone's head and directly to someone in the corporate office. The lady who helped me get answers to my questions (well, most of them anyway) was wonderful. However, Melaleuca does in fact test on animals as they see needed and/or requested by the FDA and they do in fact use animal by-products, including goat and pony hair in many of their make-up brushes and will continue to do. This hair comes from either a) being combed from the animal or b) from slaughter.

Although the lady in the Corp office tried her best, Melaleuca was not even willing to tell me what did/didn't have animal by-products so that I may pass along info to a couple customers.

If the animal or any other issue is important to your heart and home, I would really investigate before signing up.
Guess this was a long story longer
Vito's Mommy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off