The pro's and con's of brick and mortar? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 06-04-2007, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyto4grits View Post
UGLY!! Been there, done that! I would go the online route anyday!
ack! care to share?? we just opened our shop this weekend! too late to go back now, but I'm interested in your experience...

--kristin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 36 Old 06-05-2007, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop_mom View Post
ack! care to share?? we just opened our shop this weekend! too late to go back now, but I'm interested in your experience...

--kristin
Congrats Kristin....how did your opening go?

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#33 of 36 Old 06-07-2007, 05:26 PM

I haven't read through the whole thread as there is a lot here! I own a B&M natural parenting store. Personally, I don't see any cons There are some challenges, but it has been a really great experience for me and I'm coming up on my one-year anniversary

I think there is a *HUGE* need for more B&M stores. I think the reason the online market is saturated is b/c passionate moms like us think we can make money and do less work from home. (intended as an observation, not a criticizm). I started my store out of frustruation & being overwhelmed by everything online. My customers thank me every day for showing them how to use a sling, clearing up the CD confusion and fitting them for a nursing bra that actually fits! Most communities NEED this. I'd be happy to share my experience with you - just PM me. I actually have a thread in the Diaper Swappers WAHM section sharing my experience if you want to check it out.

The biggest challenge is having my son at the store with me (19 month), but he's very social so we're considering some PT childcare. Hoping I can concentrate on work the days he's not here and him the days he is!
#34 of 36 Old 06-07-2007, 05:54 PM

Just my two cents...

But personally, I would set up shop online first, before going in with her on this storefront deal. You want to be sure that your product is going to be saleable, and it would help to have some cash already in hand before spending money to go halfsies on a larger storefront. I think that whatever you do, you should definitely keep the online aspect of your shop -- you can reach a much wider consumer base online, and it will help your business grow. I do think that it's good to have an actual store where people can see your product, touch it, look at it in person, but online will get you a LOT more customers than just having a store.
#35 of 36 Old 06-11-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrin View Post
Congrats Kristin....how did your opening go?
Well, we opened, and that was my number one goal!

Not many customers yet, but we haven't done any advertising yet, so I'm not worried yet. Hopefully things will pick up once the word gets out.

There are some photos here if you'd like to see our progress from empty shop to opening day: http://littlewillowbaby.blogspot.com/

--k
mom to simon, 8/30/06
#36 of 36 Old 06-11-2007, 03:11 PM

It's beautiful! Congratulations!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page