Please explain your shipping procedure using USPS Track and Confirm - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-16-2007, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Would anyone who uses Track and Confirm USPS (delivery confirmation) be so kind as to write out the details of their shipping procedure?
I posted a thread similar to this the other day but I think I may have confused the procedure, thus receiving no responses.

I'm desperate to open my store and I'm just about ready except for final bits. I want to have my shipping details in order before I open the store.

I have a webtools account that supports T&C. I am also using Endicia for printing my own stamps on the Dymo label/stamp writer.

Not sure what I do to ship as Track and confirm from home.
I believe I need to figure out how to print a barcode on the address label?
Is it then automatically tracked? Do I need to input the barcode #? I just don't have any clue where to start.
I also don't know how to take advantage of the virtual/online verification (only 18 cents if shipped First Class).

Could anyone help me out here? Please!
#2 of 11 Old 07-17-2007, 01:16 AM

I also use Endicia, with Galaxy Ship. I have the premium plan (or whatever its called - stealth postage, and bulk scan to name a few.)

My shopping cart is hooked up with something called Shipper. So I push a button to download all shipments and all receipts are printed out, packing list sorted alphabetically by my warehouse aisles. Then the shipper pushes the cart up and down the aisles, loads up the packages and then the combination of Shipper, Galaxy Ship/Dazzle all work together with my Zebra thermal printer (4x6 labels).

I type in the order number and everything is done, from selecting the correct postal carrier, to sending out the email, updating the customer order as shipped with tracking info, print the label, etc...

At the end of the day, we print out a Bulk Scan to bring to the post office so all packages are scanned in a second. (So customer knows they made it to the post office.) The shipping labels have my logo on them, and the Delivery Confirmation numbers so I know when they're delivered.

It's so very easy and fast, it makes shipping an almost joyful job!

- Angela
mama homeschooling Satori, dd6 in the beautiful CO Rockies
#3 of 11 Old 07-17-2007, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Wow DotnetDiva. Thank you for listing your procedure.
You sure got some setup there. Great job!
I can only hope to become half as efficient as that all sounds.

I'm waiting on a support call from Endicia. Hope they can help sort me out on a few issues.
#4 of 11 Old 07-17-2007, 08:13 PM

first off, except for international and express, USPS doesn't track, they only confirm the delivery.

ok, here's my process. I use delivery confirmation and endicia software, standard package, and not as integrated as AtB's!

an order comes through. I copy the address and paste it in endicia. I check the package weight. i hit print.
i copy the delivery confirmation # and paste that in my cart, which changes the status to "shipped" and emails the customer.

done. hand package over, hopefully never to be seen again

whatever you're saying about webtools accounts and scanning things and inputting barcodes makes NO sense to me.

Endicia communciates with USPS to assign the DC#/barcode when you hit print. the PO scans it on acceptance (if you're lucky) and on delivery (for sure). they don't offer tracking. DC#/barcode is printed right there with the addresses and postage, it's not a separate process at all. Express and international require different forms but the process I outlined above is identical.

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#5 of 11 Old 07-18-2007, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Chrissy for your reply.
I was just concerned about the delivery confirmation so that works out fine for me (for some reason I kept seeing "Track and Confirm" while searching for info on the USPS site so I thought that was the correct mailing terminology).

I talked with a support rep from Endicia and realized that I need a different software program, he recommended Dazzle. Right now I'm using Dymo Stamps and Dymo Labels (to run my Dymo Stamp/label printer). You said you print straight from the Endicia program? I wonder why he didn't mention that as an option? Or do you have another program for your label/stamp printer?
He said that the program I was using was why I wasn't able to find a way to print or charge for delivery confirmation. He said it was just for basic postage and label. So now I guess I need to learn Dazzle. Hoping this won't be a big learning curve.

I think I've had to learn my way around about 10 different programs by the time this website will be said and done!
I better be done soon. I think I've tapped all the brain power I have left to muster.
#6 of 11 Old 07-19-2007, 01:14 PM

I'm not quite sure what it is you're asking, but I'll answer anyway

I used to use stamps.com, and would enter addresses to ship manually, then batch print them. You can do the same setup with endicia.com as well. Now, I currently am using paypal's multiorder shipping program, and when a customer uses another payment method besides paypal, I just enter the address and shipping info manually. I'm currently in the midst of a switch to zencart, and then I'm sure that the shipping setup will change, again :sigh
#7 of 11 Old 07-19-2007, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

The site I'm working on now is a zencart site.
I'm hooked into Endicia.
But I have a stamp/label printer that needs a program to run it. I was using the basic Dymo print program (window pops up with the different label sizes and area to enter the shipping info).
But now being advised from the Endicia guy I will switch the Dymo program with Dazzle. It is basically the printer program that is the connection between Endicia and my stamp/label printer but more advanced than the Dymo.

At least, that's what the way I see it. I believe I have a grasp on this.
#8 of 11 Old 07-19-2007, 06:30 PM

ah-ha! I think I understand now Is there maybe a driver for the dymo printer on their website? I'm just using an HP printer for labels, so I don't need any special programs for it to integrate.
#9 of 11 Old 07-19-2007, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

I am running the Dymo program that came with the printer but it's a basic program according to the rep at Endicia. If I want delivery confirmation with barcode and all that I'll need to get a more in depth program. According to him anyway. Sounded weird but if he says that's what Endicia recommends then I'm game. Whatever's easier. KWIM?
Dazzle is free anyway.
#10 of 11 Old 07-22-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I talked with a support rep from Endicia and realized that I need a different software program, he recommended Dazzle..... You said you print straight from the Endicia program? I wonder why he didn't mention that as an option? Or do you have another program for your label/stamp printer?
Dazzle is Endicia's program, that's what I use. you can use it with your dymo or whatever other printer. endicia.com is the company, the service, and dazzle is the software on your desktop where you make your labels format right, insert the customer adress, tell it the weight and what options you need, and hit "print". the software communicates with endicia to bill you and get USPS's DC#.

in my experience, once you get dazzle set up looking like you want it to, and looking correct with the printer, it is 100% smooth sailing.

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#11 of 11 Old 07-25-2007, 09:30 PM

Don't panic, you'll be fine. Endicia support has been more than excellent in my experience. I run their Endicia for Mac software so I don't want to advise you too specificly, there are probably big differences.

under the new system, the USPS does track packages using the delivery confirmation number. it's not like UPS tracking, but helpful.

treehugger.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page