Do you ever get sick of holding your tongue? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-18-2003, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am normally a VERY outspoken person..
And one of the things that makes me soooo glad I am selling my business, is now I don't have to 'hold' my tongue so to speak.

I have always had to worry that they would bad mouth my business to get back at me... YKWIM?

I don't know if that makes sense or not... but I was just wondering if any of you felt the same way or not.
#2 of 5 Old 07-18-2003, 09:37 AM

I guess I've been lucky cause I have had pretty darn good customers!

The only unpleasent people I've had to deal with were the fetish types who wanted to *talk* about cloth diapers for grown ups

:Puke

#3 of 5 Old 07-18-2003, 11:52 AM

I don't think i have any customers who'd feel the need to "get back at me". surely there are people who might not care for a product, but they always could do an exchange or refund. In cases of "bashing" a WAHM, i don't think that's allowed on MDC so i don't worry.

I do think that people don't realize how much what they say has an effect on a WAHMs business- to both good and bad ends. A thread begins about a new company, suddenly that mama is slammed with orders, yay! Some people are eager to try new WAHMs and will instanly jump on a new thing. But the same is true of a bad review, or even just a suggestion about fit or which style people should order.

In the end, if you are confident of your product you just wait it all out. People will buy your product if it is good- and they won't if it is not. I just look at all the talk about Fuzbaby, both insane raves and lust, and hate for the diapers and company. It's hard sometimes to read here, but it can be beneficial, too.

i hope i haven't written anything against the guidelines, lmk!
tabitha

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#4 of 5 Old 07-18-2003, 01:08 PM

I think I understand, Jodi.

I sometimes have a hard time figuring out how to balance sharing my opinions on the discussion boards at my AP website. Because I'm the admin, I realize that my posts carry more weight with some people, who might interpret them as official "this is they way AP/natural families do things" pronouncements. I worry that I've chased off someone who's new to natural parenting by posting something that sounds hardcore to them.

Example: A question was recently asked on our cloth diapering forum about how often to change a baby's diaper. I personally believe it's gross to let a baby sit in a wet diaper for any period of time while waiting for it to get "good and wet" to get good "use" out of the diaper. Before answering the poster, I had to carefully consider whether it was more important to me to express my opinion or to risk turning off parents who think it's ok to let their children pee several times in the same diaper. What a balancing act!

(I chose to express my opinion ... I have to hope that most users recognize my posts in a conversational-style forum represent my personal opinion. In the long run, there are lots of other natural parenting sites people can frequent for support if my opinions make them uncomfortable. I started the website to share ideas and philosophies I believe strongly in, and I prefer the site to reflect those ideals. I don't want to go down the road of the namby-pamby-please-them-all.)

So when all the is said and done ... Sometimes it's good to have a place to let your hair down where people don't know your business side. You might find that helpful in the future!
#5 of 5 Old 07-18-2003, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I guess I've been lucky cause I have had pretty darn good customers!

I do/did too...

I meant like on message boards or chats, etc.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page