Etsy or Hyena, what to do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 09-18-2007, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Which way would you go? Or do both?

I am stumped.

It's going to be a little while before I can do a merchant account and set up a shopping cart on my site and get the traffic, so I wondered if maybe putting up handmade things on either Etsy or Hyena would be better for now.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#2 of 25 Old 09-18-2007, 12:21 AM

I am not a WAHM, nor do I make anything that is even worth selling.

As a buyer I am more likely to buy from Etsy than Hyena. I really don't know why.
#3 of 25 Old 09-18-2007, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm a hyena and really enjoy it. But I've met some others who actually do both. I think it matters some on what your selling due to the fee structures. I have purchased from both. But I personally prefer hyena just because I feel like I know a lot of the women on there. Etsy's so big that I've yet to find sellers that I am loyal to their store only - not sure if I helped at all but there's my 2 cents

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999
#4 of 25 Old 09-18-2007, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

If you do both stores, do you list separate things or the same things?

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
#5 of 25 Old 09-18-2007, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think it definitely depends on what you are selling. For me, Hyena has been a much better choice than Etsy, there's just more of an audience for my items at HC.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#6 of 25 Old 09-18-2007, 03:08 PM

I have yet to sell anything on ETSY : But it works for some!
#7 of 25 Old 09-18-2007, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Hand sewn baby toys and clothes (birth to 2T). Is that both or more a Hyena thing?

#8 of 25 Old 09-18-2007, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My personal opinion is that your items are typically what people are looking for on hyena.

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999
#9 of 25 Old 09-18-2007, 05:24 PM

It's more easy to get lost in the shuffle at Etsy...sooooo many listings.....but at Hyenacart, you will be listed in the clothing categories and easy to spot. When you stock things, it will be on the calendar that everyone checks.

I say Hyenacart!
#10 of 25 Old 09-18-2007, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Alrighty then, I am going to give it a try.

I was worried that I wouldn't have enough to put up and sell regularly enough that the $5 a month would be worth it. But heck, I guess it will motivate, eh?

#11 of 25 Old 09-18-2007, 10:16 PM

you only have to pay when you stock! that's the best part!
#12 of 25 Old 09-18-2007, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Really?? I read it here: http://hyenacart.com/sell.php
$10 set up, $5 per month.

#13 of 25 Old 09-18-2007, 11:32 PM

Here, this is on the 'costs' page:

"You can let the payment lapse whenever you want (if you're taking a break, or going on vacation, for example), and then pick up the payments again at any time (without re-paying the setup fee or making up for the time you weren't using the cart). However, I can't pro-rate or refund payments that have already been made. The $5 payment will unlock your stocking page for a month from the date that you pay. If payment lapses, your in-stock store will still be visible to your customers, but you'll be unable to add or edit items to the database. "

Your site will stay up, you just can't add new items if you aren't current on payment. :-)
#14 of 25 Old 09-19-2007, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Oooooh, I see! I missed that! Thanks

#15 of 25 Old 09-19-2007, 06:23 PM

looks like you already have answers, but I'm seconding (thirding?) hyena easy to work with, great mamas over there, can't beat the price, tons of support, it makes it so much easier then it was when I started my first site years ago- good luck with everything!

Brenda- Blessed wahmama to Sara(7) & Alex(5) 7/10 & 9/10 Living the crazy life with dh David & Charlie on our little urban farm!
#16 of 25 Old 09-20-2007, 05:14 PM

Chiming in a bit late to say Hyena Cart too. I've had stuff on both for over a year and hyena cart gives me more sales by far than etsy.

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
#17 of 25 Old 09-20-2007, 11:23 PM

I haven't had experience selling on Etsy or Hyena Cart, but if I were looking for baby/toddler clothes I'd go to Hyena Cart. I check out Etsy for jewelry and non-kiddo stuff. Good luck with your store!
#18 of 25 Old 09-21-2007, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernaBloom View Post
I haven't had experience selling on Etsy or Hyena Cart, but if I were looking for baby/toddler clothes I'd go to Hyena Cart. I check out Etsy for jewelry and non-kiddo stuff. Good luck with your store!
Jewelry seems to sell pretty well on HC, too. But otherwsie ITA.
#19 of 25 Old 09-26-2007, 10:45 AM

I have both- I'm part of a congo on HC and just either put my new stuff up there for 2 weeks at a time or pull off my Etsy to put on there. Then what doesn't sell goes back to Etsy. My 'congo leader' said that we can think of HC like a farmer's market and Etsy as our main storefront. I like that So far I've had better sales from Etsy, but I've only been on HC for 2 or 3 weeks.
#20 of 25 Old 09-28-2007, 01:49 PM

Such a good discussion! my MDC!
I am on Etsy now, just starting & haven't sold a thing, but it is so EASY. UNbeleivably easy even for me who has ZERO CCSSHTMLishness in my brain. I am just getting the hang on editing my pictures. Mercy, I am much better at tie dye than computer stuff, for sure.
That said, now that I am getting my pictures better lookin, I might as well put them up multiple places. And I think my stuff will sell better on HC, plus, this is my home & I was a diaper hyena with a huge stash back when HC started and it just feels homey for me. As a customer at least, it will take me a while to get homey feeling as a shop holder.
So, I'm going to take my time & be patient with myself & see what happens, I know I can learn, even if it is at a snail's pace.
~Maria
#21 of 25 Old 09-28-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralWoman View Post
I am on Etsy now, just starting & haven't sold a thing, but it is so EASY. UNbeleivably easy even for me who has ZERO CCSSHTMLishness in my brain. I am just getting the hang on editing my pictures. Mercy, I am much better at tie dye than computer stuff, for sure.
That said, now that I am getting my pictures better lookin, I might as well put them up multiple places. And I think my stuff will sell better on HC, plus, this is my home & I was a diaper hyena with a huge stash back when HC started and it just feels homey for me. As a customer at least, it will take me a while to get homey feeling as a shop holder.
So, I'm going to take my time & be patient with myself & see what happens, I know I can learn, even if it is at a snail's pace.
~Maria
Your Etsy spot looks great- I'm sure it will be just a matter of time before you are hopping with sales.
#22 of 25 Old 09-28-2007, 09:02 PM

I seem to be in the minority, and I don't have a store of my own, but I prefer shopping on Etsy much more than Hyena. This is going to be a bit embarassing, but I find Hyena cart really difficult to shop and confusing, too. I guess it's just me : , but I feel I'm pretty net savvy all in all. Good luck in whatever you decide!

Christina, mama to 2 sweet girls

10.26.12 (HBAC!)
namaste.gif   neg.gif  sewmachine.gif   homebirth.jpg homeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#23 of 25 Old 09-28-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cece View Post
I seem to be in the minority, and I don't have a store of my own, but I prefer shopping on Etsy much more than Hyena. This is going to be a bit embarassing, but I find Hyena cart really difficult to shop and confusing, too. I guess it's just me : , but I feel I'm pretty net savvy all in all. Good luck in whatever you decide!
ITA. If it wasn't for the spots, I would be totally lost there, and I have a cart. I think it is a bit complicated with all the congos and individual shops and multicarts. The stocking calender is a mystery adn all the good stuff is gone before I get to it. I still love shopping there. It's so family and child centric. ETSY is a bit too hipster for me.
#24 of 25 Old 09-29-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.V. Lowi View Post
Your Etsy spot looks great- I'm sure it will be just a matter of time before you are hopping with sales.
thanks E.V. I just bought some showcase spots, so hopefully that will drive some views my way! Plus I have a lot more to get listed...
#25 of 25 Old 10-02-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralWoman View Post
I am on Etsy now, just starting & haven't sold a thing, but it is so EASY. UNbeleivably easy even for me who has ZERO CCSSHTMLishness in my brain. I am just getting the hang on editing my pictures. Mercy, I am much better at tie dye than computer stuff, for sure. ~Maria
y I'm an Etsy mama, too! I love Etsy. I have had sucess with my shop there, however it can be frustrating. There are a LOT of people selling there. You do feel like you are marketing yourself a lot to other Etsy sellers (by posting in the forums, joining groups, etc.) but it's all about exposure. The one thing I really like about Etsy is the tags- I have had several customers find me just by googling "Purple super cape" or something like that- My Etsy shop comes up before even my regular website does! Also there are lots of blog rings, etc. that guide other Etsy users to your site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cece View Post
This is the problem I have had with Hyena cart. It is really confusing to me : and if it's confusing to me, how will regular shoppers like it? I have been thinking lately about doing it in addition to Etsy, because I do think it would be my target audience... however I listed a cape in a friends Hyena shop awhile ago and got NO interest in it at all. I KNOW I don't have time to promote myself on 2 different websites! However for $5/month it might be worth trying.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page