The Body Shop at Home - any experienced consultants here? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-04-2007, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was thinking about joining the Body Shop at Home as a consultant so that I can order things easier with a discount...I never make it out to the mall and I want some new makeup.

However, I've asked around and can't find anyone who knows a consultant and I hate to just contact whoever comes up in my area with no firsthand referral.

And any info about this company and it's customer service, shipping times, etc. would be appreciated too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 10-09-2007, 05:05 PM

I have a friend here in Michigan who sells it, I bet she could direct you to someone in your area who could help you get started.

Her site is www.thebodyshopathome.come/web/mtilson Her name is Mary.

She is super sweet, and has been working her biz for like 5 years.

Good luck, I LOVE their products, my son's girlfriend works at the store at the mall so I get my goodies from her !!

Erin in MI
Mum to 4
#3 of 14 Old 10-10-2007, 02:36 AM

I was with them when they first started and did really well for awhile. For a year I did parties. Then I got pregnant and slowed down. But, for two years after I made my minimums to stay active by reorders. This is proof that there is a following AND that direct sales can really work once you get going.

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#4 of 14 Old 10-10-2007, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for those who passed on names! :-)

And I was concerned about meeting the minimums (they seem to be much higher than any company I've previously joined) so that's good to know people will do reorders! (I've never sold consumable products before.)
#5 of 14 Old 10-11-2007, 12:35 AM

Just an fyi...if you boycott nestle, you might want to reconsider becoming a part of the body shop.

http://www.babymilkaction.org/press/press17march06.html
#6 of 14 Old 10-11-2007, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondimom728 View Post
Just an fyi...if you boycott nestle, you might want to reconsider becoming a part of the body shop.

http://www.babymilkaction.org/press/press17march06.html
:

The Body Shop no longer has the reputation for being a cruely free natural company anymore.

#7 of 14 Old 10-11-2007, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, this is not directed at anyone who replied, but I find the whole cosmetics industry incredibly frustrating. I have done hours and hours of research on trying to find a good company where I can buy all of my body care and make up needs that uses fairly sourced ingredients, botanically based, etc. There is not one company that fits the bill. I want a broad palette of eyeshadows, GOOD liquid foundation and concealer (minerals don't cut it for me), lipliners and gloss/balm, body butters and other moisturizers...etc. I've spent hours researching ingredients at cosmeticsdatabase.com, read a ton of reviews...and thought Body Shop might be my best bet with its diverse product line and values. It seems you have to make a compromise somewhere with any company I'm looking at. I don't personally boycott Nestle; I understand the reasons behind it and support it, but I have a multitude of other causes that are more personal and near and dear to my heart. I knew they were being bought out by Loreal, and with the recent death of Anita Roddick figured there may be some changes coming down the line - which is why I was asking for reviews. Seems to me that it's still better than Avon, Arbonne, or Mary Kay - I like Monave but I can't afford to buy wholesale with minimums. ::
#8 of 14 Old 10-11-2007, 07:49 PM

I agree the cosmetics industry is frustrating. I thought Arbonne would be the best but maybe I'm wrong? Have you tried any natural products like Natures Sunshine?

#9 of 14 Old 10-11-2007, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Arbonne isn't any more natural than Body Shop and isn't a signer of the campaign for safe cosmetics. They were bought out by a huge company (Harvest Partners or something like that) and from what I hear is all about profits now. You don't hear anything about where they source their ingredients.
I've used quite a few of their products - the lip gloss chapped my lips like crazy, the RE9 eye cream stung my eyes - and I'm just not impressed.

I didn't know Nature's Sunshine did cosmetics? I will look into that!
#10 of 14 Old 10-20-2007, 07:26 PM

I sold BSAH for a year and ended my biz bc:
1. minimums were too high
2. too many other people were selling in my area, so building my consultant base was too difficult (that is where the real $ is)
3. commission was too low-I averaged out my hourly wage after all of the reoders on flyers, catalogues and sample products-and it was too low for my time

GL deciding what to do!
#11 of 14 Old 10-20-2007, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, the minimums are a major turnoff for me...

Thanks for feedback!
#12 of 14 Old 10-22-2007, 01:03 AM

I don't mean for this to be spammy, and I support all direct sales opportunities - just not all of them fit for me (don't wear make up, don't scrapbook, etc), but I did want to say that I found one that fits me really well. As a single mom with little to no money, I needed a company where there were no inventory req's and the most minimum of minimums. And, I wanted to do one where people actually wanted to book parties.

So, if the direct sales aspect draws your attention, keep looking and find one that fits you. There are so many out there, with just about every product imaginable, and a pay structure that can fit your goals.

And (this is for the OP and for anyone else looking at any direct sales company), the most important thing regardless of the company you sign up with, is to find a really good sponsor. Make sure she/he has a proven track record of success, and is a good trainer, or can equip you with the right training. Many times, finding that right person to be your sponsor will determine if you are successful or not and just how successful you can be.

Best wishes on your search!
#13 of 14 Old 10-22-2007, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter

I've actually been an Usborne consultant for a couple of years now, and was also one for Natural Family Boutique - and I totally agree with your advice!

I love Usborne books, but getting other people excited about them has turned out to be more challenging than I suspected. I was thinking that maybe joining a company that sold consumables might be easier because of reorders and such.
#14 of 14 Old 10-22-2007, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marisa View Post

I love Usborne books, but getting other people excited about them has turned out to be more challenging than I suspected. I was thinking that maybe joining a company that sold consumables might be easier because of reorders and such.
That's exactly why I chose the company I did. People definitely get "excited" about my products. I never, ever expected that I would sell the products I do. My family totally didn't believe it (my degree is in Youth Ministry), but I have really found my fit. Since my own marriage fell apart, I now get the opportunity to help women improve their marriage and ultimately their family relationships. *I* can get excited about that.

Most people take the "consumables" focus, and that is good, but unless it is a company with autoship, it sounds like a lot of work to me. I really should get better at calling previous customers and seeing if they need anything, but I just haven't made the time for that yet. I'm selling enough at my parties that I just haven't done it.

Like I said before, I think what will make you/anyone successful is a product that you personally are excited about and completely believe in. I think you could really pursue the Usborne books thing - find your passion... why did you join Usborne? Is literacy important to you? Not just important, but are you passionate about it? Are you passionate about changing women's lives through the business opportunity? If you don't feel that way about Usbore anymore, then I would suggest finding a different company/product. If you can find that passion back with Usborne, then talk to your sponsor, or find someone who is making the money you want to make and ask them what they are doing, and then do exactly that.

Just some thoughts... (sorry for the long post! I can get kind of passionate about this myself. )

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page