any masssage therapists here? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 10-14-2007, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am hoping to renovate my computer room into a massage/shiatsu studio in the next 6 months to a year (finances permitting) and start working from home PT (approx 8-10 hrs a week) I have several clients lined up already when I finally do start! yay! though finding clients won't be difficult I don't think, and I do hope to stay word of mouth.

I could bring in almost $2000 easily a month doing 8-10 clients a week. (more if it's specialized services)I just really need to figure out what to do about childcare though (as I'm a single mom and don't know anyone atm who can help me out). that will be my biggest obstacle I think..

any advice or thoughts on the businesss end as I start my planning? I am not new to client services as I was a hairstylist for over a decade. I know I obviously won't have 40 clients a month to start (and it will probably take a year at least to get there) I just never worked doing massage/shiatsu much except at my school's clinic. but I decided early on (and especially after quitting the hair biz) that I would NEVER work for anyone but myself! (I've worked in enough salons to know how ripped you get in most situations ) any tips or thoughts regarding wah doing massage would be much appreciated!

otherwise how are the massage therapists here doing with your private practice at home with kids? I would love to hear about your experiences!

btw I am also trained in prenatal massage and have the body support system equipment and would love to offer belly casting and henna. I can also do pedicures/facials/reflexology/flower essence therapy and stuff like that (just no hair as I am retired from that.lol.) how would you spread the word to get pregnant moms? (there is no birth center here or anything like that) but alot of pg moms.

I am excited, yet a little nervous.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 10-15-2007, 01:15 AM

This idea is a little different than what you have planned, but maybe something to consider if finances for the space at home are delayed.
We have a MT who comes to our office one day a week and does chair massage. We've actually had several women over the last few years who did that, some brought folding massage tables, some did chair massage.
The woman who comes now charges $1/min and is usually booked up for the 4 hours she's there
#3 of 16 Old 10-15-2007, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi and congrats on getting your business on it's way. I am not a massage therapist but I visit mine as often as my pocket book allows - lol. She is a single wahm as well. She has 2 children left at home. 1 is very young and the other is a teen. She sees clients in their home in the late evenings - after 8pm bc her youngest is in bed and her oldest is there in case of emergency. Normally though I go to her house early evening and her dd is either with her teen or if her teen is out, then dd watches a video in the playroom - like a long movie one.

I have never felt uneasy - though I could tell that she was worried about that in the beginning. She kept trying to reassure me. Maybe some others have felt uncomfortable in the past?

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999
#4 of 16 Old 10-15-2007, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the feedback mamas! :

I do have a massage chair and could do outcalls! I will definitely think more about this. (My plan used to be to go do chair massage at the local fire stations, but that was pe kids) I guess I am just hoping to ease back into work gradually. as for finances I just have other house projects/repairs that must come first before the massage studio (unfortunately!)

my main thing is I need to find a sitter in the next few months.

#5 of 16 Old 10-15-2007, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Homeschooled teens of friends make great flexible sitters if you have anyone like that.
#6 of 16 Old 10-15-2007, 08:50 PM

Before seeing clients in your home you should check your home owners policy to make sue you are covered if one of them were to trip and get hurt. I had beenn thinking about having students (art lessons) come to my home. but my home owners policy excludes doing business.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#7 of 16 Old 10-15-2007, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

I definitely will get some sort of extra liability insurance before beginning my practice! thanks for the reminder!

#8 of 16 Old 10-15-2007, 11:36 PM

I do massage on an outcall basis, but I also do it in my home. If you know what time your clients are coming is it possible for your children to play quietly in another part of the house (not sure what age your children are)? As one suggested...homeschooled teens are a good way to go. Is there an affordable drop off center in your area? We have one that a mom uses quite regularly when she has to meet with clients and no one is available. Its more like a giant play place.
As for homeowners insurance...I have mt insurance through ambp. They also cover the home as well as outcalls.

I have older children that take my littlest one when I have a massage or have to meet with a client for intakes on herbs, nutrition, etc. as these can go for up to two hours.

I know what you mean about working for yourself. I've been doing this for a while now. Started off working for an egomaniac of a chiro. I promised myself I'd never do that again. It gets slow at times especially with the dips in the economy, when my clients get hit hard, all the extras are the first to go.

Shianne
I am just me. Cert. HHP and Herbalist and mom to three wonderful home educated boys.
#9 of 16 Old 10-15-2007, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Shianne- thanks for sharing your experiences. I appreciate it!

there is actually a preschool nearby that is drop in. (My kids are 2 and 3yo right now, so they may be 3 and 4yo when I begin working again.)

I am really hoping to find in home care though, so it makes my life a little easier.lol. so will only do the drop in place as a last resort. I unfortunately don't know any teens. well I know one (a friends DD) but she just moved 45 min away and already has a PT job!

#10 of 16 Old 10-16-2007, 03:31 PM
Banned

i'm a yoga teacher and also do thai yoga massage. i mostly work outside of the home, though i'm moving more toward inside the home work.

my husband wants to WAH as well, so we are planning to "switch off" care, but if that doesn't work out, then we'd hire someone for the hours that we need him/her. i prefer for my schedule to be consistent, so i would only schedule for mornings or some such.

my home owner's association and insurance allows in home businesses, and i also have separate liability insurance that covers work in my home (and away).
#11 of 16 Old 10-20-2007, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

oh I love thai massage so nice.

unfortunately my DH is deceased so I am all alone.

though, I may have just found a 16yo homeschooler! she can even work full time if needed! yay!

where I live (11 miles north of mexico) it is very common to find a nanny from mexico. it is very cheap, though I am not sure of the legalities. but that will probably be the way I will go when they are older (live in). I'm trying to create a homestead and need someone to be here if we want to travel ever (which I do!) so a live in would be ideal.

#12 of 16 Old 10-22-2007, 02:30 AM

OT... But do you do Reiki too? Reiki is a good way to work from home, esp. b/c it can be done long distance--the recipient doesn't need to be there--and it has many of the same benefits as massage, as well as others.
#13 of 16 Old 10-23-2007, 06:16 AM

I am not a massage therapist, but have been seriously considering getting into this field as a career. I'm looking for more information as it would also be something I'd want to do from home most likely.

I do however have a suggestion about getting your services out to pregnant women. I don't know what kind of location you live in, but in the city areas I live around, I know of a few centers where different types of prenatal and postnatal services are available. One center I visited was a natural birthing resource center of sorts, and offered meeting facilities for everything from Doulas, prenatal yoga, counseling, and educational classes. There were advertisements there for all sorts of things related to pregnancy, including all of those services, and herbalists specializing in this area. If you have some type of birthing center like this, and they allowed you, that would be a great place to put flyers or business cards. Other than that, you might try going to some traditional ob/gyn doctors offices and see if they wouldn't mind you bringing in some flyers or business cards. My other thought was if you have locally owned maternity boutiques (not like the chain stores at the mall) that might not mind you placing some flyers and cards. Hope those ideas are helpful, and best wishes with your new business venture.
#14 of 16 Old 10-24-2007, 04:47 AM

I am a finishing student massage therapist, I also did the prenatal massage training. I have a doula friend that opened a pregnancy center like that and I did some massages for her clients and got my name out there. I hope to work from home when I pass my licence ( i'm pretty much done school.)

I plan to trade childcare with some other working but moslty stay at home moms. My other friend is a midwife apprentice and said she would put a little something about me in the folders they give their new clients. I also have the hubby when he is not working, and btw, one of my teachers swore up and down he only worked on his clients at night and he has a booming massage practice.

I guess its just word of mouth and networking.
Chair massages are money makers, but may be not the kind of thing everyone wants to do. I would personally rather to be able to work one on one with my clients and help facilitate lasting healing. Not to mention repeat income for me.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#15 of 16 Old 10-25-2007, 02:49 PM
Banned

sounds like the 16 yr old homeschooling girl is a great way to go! i also think it's cool to have a live in, down the line. before then, you can look into the legalities of it all.
#16 of 16 Old 10-30-2007, 07:13 PM

Hi:

I was a massage therapist for over ten years. I did outcalls mainly, though... as that is what the clients tended to want.

One thing I'd warn you is don't use your chair too much. It's very hard to keep good body mechanics all the time doing chair massage. I used to go to corporations and doctor's offices and do chair massage a few times per week. It was great for regular income and for getting Swedish clients... but... it shot my hands. I had to stop my career about 7 years ago. So...just a warning...

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page