I need to make $200/week . . . ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-29-2007, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am currently providing childcare, 40+ hours a week for a friend's baby. I get paid $200/week. It's only been a couple of months (I started at the end of August), but I am starting to feel like this isn't what I want to be doing. It's totally manageable (I have twins, so the two babies thing is fine with me), but I find myself longing for the weekend when I only have my own kids to take care of, and dreading Monday morning. I want to either LOVE what I do, *or* have it not take up 40+ hours a week (like I'd be fine with doing a boring job for 10 hours a week).

Thanks for any ideas!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 11-01-2007, 02:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Can you work opposite shifts from your partner, like evenings/weekends? If so, some retail jobs pay decent and you should be able to make 200/wk working 20 hours or so....I know it isn't WAHM, but it might work out.

What about taking two part time kids? Like doing after school care for school aged kids?

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#3 of 9 Old 11-01-2007, 10:02 AM

We have a thread up in Mother's Writing Group for Associated Content... but I'm only able to count on about $4/article right now, so that would be 10 articles a day. That's pretty steep.

I make that much doing transcription, and I'd much rather do childcare. People around here pay $15/day for child care, though, and I'm not willing to take on *that* many kids. I find that transcription or other 'in front of the computer' jobs are really frustrating... If I don't get it done while my baby naps, she is fairly close to ignored until it gets done I'm sure if I did childcare I'd look forward to the weekend, but I feel that childcare is a better option for my child than transcription.

I'm jealous if you can't tell...

That wasn't real helpful, was it?

Cara
#4 of 9 Old 11-01-2007, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses!

I think the solution we have come to is that I will open a small daycare (4-5 kids), three mornings a week. I will be able to make the same amount of money in 16 hours as opposed to 40 hours. Our house is the perfect set-up for it, I'm an early childhood certified teacher, I have a ton of connections in the community, so it makes sense. I'll still have two days off with just my baby, and every afternoon off for my 3 kids. I think it's a much better plan. Plus, I won't have my daycare open until 9:00 a.m., whereas right now the baby I take care of gets dropped off at 7:15 (when otherwise I'd still be in bed).

First I have to tell the family that I currently work for that I won't be able to do it anymore (I'm going to give them a couple of months to find something new). I'm pretty much dreading it since I do really like them :

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#5 of 9 Old 11-01-2007, 11:23 AM

I think if you market it as a "mother's day out" or preschool you'll get more interest.

Good luck! :-)
#6 of 9 Old 11-01-2007, 11:26 AM

Ooo, that sounds like a great idea! Awesome solution!
#7 of 9 Old 11-01-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marisa View Post
I think if you market it as a "mother's day out" or preschool you'll get more interest.

I think that sounds like a great idea! Good luck!

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#8 of 9 Old 11-01-2007, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marisa View Post

Yes, I'm not going to call it a "daycare." I'm thinking "playschool." I'm planning to "market" to SAHMs or WAHMS who just want a bit of a break from their toddlers/want their toddlers to have a group-setting experience, but don't necessarily *need* childcare. I sent my twins to something similar when they were 18 months-2.5, and it was so great for me.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone!

Lex

#9 of 9 Old 11-01-2007, 01:00 PM

I so wish you lived near me

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page