Constructive criticism needed on product and site - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 11-20-2007, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, My friend created a unique product for babies that actually works and it isn't selling. I think she has a great web site, great label, etc. I have my reasons for why the product isn't moving but will keep it to myself until later to make sure I don't steer things in a certain direction.
She advertised in mothering mag for a year (almost 2,000.00 in ads) and sold to 5 people.

Please look the site over and give your 100% honest feedback. Tell wether or not you would try the product and why.
Give any suggestions you want. She has worked very hard on this and I believe in her products greatly having had 2 preemies, 1 with major lung troubles in the winter who responds to the mucous mover. I want to see her succeed and she is feeling hopeless.

TIA!
http://motherstouchoils.com
#2 of 17 Old 11-21-2007, 03:29 AM

What other marketing methods has she tried? Has she blogged about her products? Written articles? Has she partnered with information site owners to help spread the word? Has she appeared on natural product/family podcasts and teleconferences as a guest expert?

Also, I can't find any information about her on the site. Who is she? Why should I trust her products? You may know why, because you know her. But she needs to tell ME on her website.

Those are just my initial suggestions and thoughts.

Are you a geek? Learn how to turn what you're geeked about into a successful home business at Home Business Geeks! Need Reliable Web hosting?
#3 of 17 Old 11-21-2007, 03:30 AM

Nevermind on the information about her part. I found it on the consultation page.

I still think she needs to get her name, and her self as an expert, out there.

Does she post here, or at other natural parenting message boards?

Are you a geek? Learn how to turn what you're geeked about into a successful home business at Home Business Geeks! Need Reliable Web hosting?
#4 of 17 Old 11-21-2007, 03:33 AM

How many people does she actually get to her site with those ads? She doesn't have an Alexa rank or a Google Page Rank. Neither are all that they are cracked up to be, but I had both within a couple of months with under 1,000 people a month.

I would consider adding research links. I wouldn't necessarily associate relief from essential oils with those issues.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#5 of 17 Old 11-21-2007, 03:46 AM

Page rank of only 2 and she needs better meta tags, using more mainstream language. Like fever, pain reliever, maybe something like tylenol alternative, plus her state, county, and town, things to make people not necessarily looking for her products, but who could use them, find her site. Google adwords!

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#6 of 17 Old 11-21-2007, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthea™ View Post
Page rank of only 2 and she needs better meta tags, using more mainstream language. Like fever, pain reliever, maybe something like tylenol alternative, things to make people not necessarily looking for her products, but who could use them, find her site.
My toolbar on Firefox isn't working. Who knew.

It strikes me that this is a product that demands a whole lot of education. She might do better at places like baby festivals and trade shows where she can talk one-on-one with people.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#7 of 17 Old 11-21-2007, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force View Post
My toolbar on Firefox isn't working. Who knew.

It strikes me that this is a product that demands a whole lot of education. She might do better at places like baby festivals and trade shows where she can talk one-on-one with people.
Definitely!

Has she thought about wholesale, to companies who already have a ton of business?

#8 of 17 Old 11-21-2007, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks all.

Unfortunately she doesn't post here or anywhere about her product because she has had major computer trouble lately and feels kind of hopeless. I have offerred to pay to advertising here because once I get my computer up and running I will be posting a lot more.

To whomever said her product needs education... this was my thought exactly. Mainstream america does not believe rubbing something topically can actually do much, especially essential oil. When I was in massage school ten years ago, aromatherapy was so woo woo. Her products really aren't so aromatherapy but the properties go directly into the blood. I know she has researched links showing how oils are found within the bloodstream within 10 minutes of applying but I don't know if her site shows them.

I love the google tag info. I will pass that along to her.

So far, it sounds like you all are saying the main issues are:
-who is she really? what expertise does she have?
-is this product really going to work? prove it!
-getting a site visit counter so she can better track her page views
-finding a better place to sell her product so she can inform people

So far she did do the Mothering mag 30th anniversary booth in Santa Fe, I don't know how well it went though. She does pretty well in Taos, NM and in Ashville, NC both places of residence to her where she knew people and they used her products.

Someone recently suggested to her to try and get moms to do parties with them. I think it's a nice idea but seems veryinvolved and she has already invested so much money.

What kind of trade fairs are out there that have a health or alternative focus?

Again thanks, I love the honest feedback.
#9 of 17 Old 11-21-2007, 03:09 PM

Any farmer's markets will allow crafts and such, I saw a few places similar to hers at our local one.

Don't use a site counter. Use Google analytics (how to set it up here)...it's much more comprehensive, free, and doesn't add any graphics to the website, just some code to each page tracked.

#10 of 17 Old 11-22-2007, 04:52 AM

To speak from a consumer point of view instead of a marketing one I must say I would not buy these.

On the first product I read this "Contains: Organic Garlic infused organic sesame oil" and I worry it will make my baby smell like garlic bread. Then I see this "essential oils of Melissa, Ravensare" and I don't know those. I know TTO so it doesn't worry me much, but mystery botanicals do. Finally a few products down we come to this " A proprietary blend", I never ever buy anything without knowing exactly what is in it for DS. He has very sensitive skin (eczema) so I am extremly careful. I can not buy stuff that has ambiguos labeling. I understand that she doesn't want some one to copy it, but consumers will be scared she is trying to hide something from them not just the competition.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#11 of 17 Old 11-23-2007, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for that info.
To respond to what you said, I have to say that, no, they will not smell like garlic bread because so little is used per application.
On the proprietary blend thing I only came across ones that stated the "proprietary blend" with the list of ingredients. I might have missed something. Are you needing further information about how much of these is contained in each? I am guessing she is listing her ingredients like usual with the most used ingredient first.
I do understand your issue though. These things don't strike me because I am familliar with some of these products so I appreciate the help and different perspectives.

While I have nothing to do with her business except that I am a customer every winter, I feel the need to help her a little because the products actually do work. She has had mothers whose children refused to take things internally write her and thank her for helping with the chronic ear infections and such. My daughter has had a great deal of help from the mucuous mover.

It's just hard to know something is great and be stuck in the marketing realm of things while other products that don't do anything are selling.

If anyone else has a consumer perspective, please offer it.
Thanks again!
#12 of 17 Old 11-23-2007, 09:04 PM

I was looking for just this very thing for my dd and made a purchase from your friend just from reading your post and checking out the link. The site was easy to use especially with paypal. She just needs to advetise more with a siggy add or something similar.
#13 of 17 Old 11-24-2007, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthea™ View Post
Page rank of only 2 and she needs better meta tags, using more mainstream language. Like fever, pain reliever, maybe something like tylenol alternative, plus her state, county, and town, things to make people not necessarily looking for her products, but who could use them, find her site. Google adwords!
The only meta tag she needs to worry about is the meta title tag. The others are not used by the search engines. Instead, she needs to focus on creating content for her site that includes the keywords in a way that is natural and appealing to the people who will be visiting her site.

She should also make sure her site includes the appropriate keyword phrase in the file name.

You can read more here about what Google is looking for:

http://www.google.com/support/webmas...n&answer=35769

#14 of 17 Old 11-24-2007, 07:59 PM

Well I have to start off in saying that her website looks wonderful, very slick, easy to navigate so I imagine that is not her problem. The amount of traffic that she receives is of course important and I second using google analytics. I would hate to recommend purchasing more advertising, (as you said before that she had already invested so much) but google adwords were a good idea too.

The meta tag thing was a good point too, right now her home page meta tag title is Mother Touch Oils - healing baby naturally

If you google: healing babies naturally with essential oils, she is the first site to come up, as well as when you google: essential oils for baby's fever. She is on the first page when you google the following phrases:
essential oils for babies coughs
essential oils for babies colic
essential oils for babies earaches

So it would appear that she comes up well in the search engines if people are searching for that specifically. She might have better luck updating her homepage meta tag title to something that said Mother Touch Oils - healing baby naturally with essential oils for colds, fevers, colic, earaches and restlessness, or something to that effect. Adding those keywords might help her come up if people are researching for healing methods of the a fever, cough, etc even if they are specifically looking for essential oils.

Testimonials are good she has one for the first essential oil product listed but not for any of the other ones. As a consumer those are always reassuring, so she shouldn't hesitate to had them if she has any more, also I couldn't find where she talked about shipping cost. I know that is something that I always look for when it comes to buying a product, she might make it more apparent (I site searched {site:motherstouchoils.com shipping} the word shipping but nothing came up).

Now about the ingredients I too find it very reassuring when a place discloses the ingredients in their products but if you don't know what they are it can be kind of un-reassuring to see the names. So she might consider having a separate page that list the different ingredients that are used in her products and explaining what they are and what they do. For example:

Tea Tree Oil - Essential oil extraction from the Melaleuca tree with anti fungal properties.
Used In: Preventative Step and Fever Reliever

Don't pay attention to the actual definition, but you kind of see what I mean about describing what every ingredient is and what purpose it has. She could have a link next to the listed ingredients under each product to this page that list all of the ingredients and their purposes so that if any one wanted to know what the different ingredients were they could click the link . . . hope that make sense.

I truly wish your friend the best of luck, as it would appear that she has a really great product here.

* Just wanted to add that the writing articles was also a really great idea for marketing too.
#15 of 17 Old 11-24-2007, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think the site itself is pretty and looks appealing and professional. As a customer, I do not like paypal shopping carts at all...they scream "novice" to me...I like to be able to chose to use a credit card OR paypal...and not everyone is paypal savvy.

I think there should be info about the healing properties of each ingredient, as well as an "about us" page (rather than having her info under the contact page).

I'm turned off by the "dangerously high fever" statement....first of all, it appears that she's giving medical advice which is a bit tricky and she might want to put a disclaimer, and it's pretty fear based IMO. Acutally, though I agree with most of her advice, I don't think it flows well with the product descriptions and would be best on another page...and again, she really needs a disclaimer.

HTH

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#16 of 17 Old 12-14-2007, 06:02 PM

Received my order and it works beautifully.
#17 of 17 Old 12-29-2007, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Great!
I have been without internet since my last post and finally came back to check things. We're a little too off-grid for me lately and I'm at my mom's now.
She contacted me and said her business email account wasn't working and was a little late in getting the order out. The phone lines where we live are old and basically take minutes to load a page. We're looking into a community satellite.

Anyhow, I was relieved to find that you received your order and like the product.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page