Questions about financing CareerStep - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-26-2007, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have any suggestions on financing CareerStep?

I know it sounds weird, but I don't want my husband to know I'd be doing it, as I have a problem with follow-through when he or my family are expecting results from me. I would really rather do something without any of them knowing, but we don't really have the cash to put toward it as we have to come up with $1500 or so in the next two months as it is to keep our car on the road while we're in Japan.

Anyway...I was thinking of applying for a STAP thing through the education office at the military, but I have to find out if it would even cover something like CareerStep. I don't know if I'm eligible for more money through anything else as a student loan since I already owe Citibank Student Loans about $6000.

Anyway...if anyone has any ideas or knows if I could try to increase a student loan through a FAFSA that would be great.

Thanks so much!

P.S. Guess I should say that I at least get the 20% discount because my husband is Air Force, but he will only be for another 14 months or so, since he's tired of it and wants to get out, so I would want to do something in the next 6 months at the latest probably.
#2 of 8 Old 11-26-2007, 12:08 PM

well, i hate to tell you this, but you wont be able to get a federal student loan or any grants from FAFSA, because Career Step is not a title IV school. Neither is any online "at-your-own-pace" program. I dont know why but it sucks.

i got my loan through Sallie Mae Education www.salliemae.com
because its a student loan, and not just any other loan, i got a low interest rate, and my payments are very low. I chose to have interest only payments while i am in the program, and then even after, the payments are low, approx $40 a month.

They do have a scholarship program too that you can apply for, but the maximum discount is 20% i believe.

They do also have a 4 payment plan, where the payments are like $380 a month, but that wasnt affordable for us.

I hate having any debt at all, but this one was small enough, that i knew i could just pay it off when we get our tax refund in the spring.

hope this helps! Its a great program!

wife to my awesome DH, homeschooling, unassisted birthing, food growing, life loving mama to 5 crazy monkeys. :
#3 of 8 Old 11-26-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravenab00 View Post
well, i hate to tell you this, but you wont be able to get a federal student loan or any grants from FAFSA, because Career Step is not a title IV school. Neither is any online "at-your-own-pace" program. I dont know why but it sucks.
She's right.

Medical Transcription, in itself, is not a degree. If the student planned on applying credits from their Medical Transcription courses to a future degree, then it may be beneficial to attend a CC. However, unless they are working towards a degree in the Medical field, those credits will most likely be used as extracurricular credits.

CS is partnered with several community colleges, though. If you take that route, you may be eligible for more financing options (such as FAFSA). I believe the cost goes up considerably if you go through a CC, but if you get enough scholarships and grants you may end up paying little to nothing. The course won't be self-paced, though. However, if you have a problem following through, it may help you to have deadlines, etc.

I went through SallieMae, as well. I can't remember how much my monthly payments were, but they were pretty low. I had it paid off by the time I finished the course. Once I started working, I was able to quickly make enough to cover any expenses I had originally put towards the course.

Hope that Helps!! Good luck!
#4 of 8 Old 11-26-2007, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I looked it over better yesterday and I'm thinking about trying to do the 20% downpayment route through the school, since that would only leave $83/month for payments.

Thanks for the info, I might have to try applying through Sallie Mae, but since I don't work and I don't want to use DH's credit I would probably get turned down.
#5 of 8 Old 11-27-2007, 01:57 AM

I qualified for a Sallie Mae loan for Career Step, and I don't have fabulous credit. My payments are $72/month, and I didn't put up any kind of down payment.
#6 of 8 Old 11-27-2007, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter

I talked to DH about it anyway and he said he's going to go ahead and do the 20% downpayment with the 12 equal payments option. He thinks that would be the best way to do it.

He was much more supportive than I thought he would be and even sounded like he was glad I had found it.
#7 of 8 Old 12-15-2013, 12:40 PM

Hi I know it's been awhile since the last posts, but I am currently thinking about starting the MT program with Career Step. How was your experience with them? Did you finish? Did you have difficulties finding a job? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
#8 of 8 Old 09-04-2014, 06:25 AM

question

how did you find career step in the list or get help with it

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page