if you do child care how do you charge? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-05-2007, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am planning, after the first of the year, to start advertising to do child care

more of a drop in, or flexiable thing -- not expecting to really have a set of kids all day every day ....

not sure how to charge ... by the hour, by the 1/2 day? .... I assume i will give a dicount to sib sets, but how much?

How do YOU do it?

AImee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 12-06-2007, 01:47 PM
Ame

When I did childcare I had a set group of children...

Are you planning to get licensed by the state?

Do you know what the regulations are (sometimes you dont need a license if you are under certain limits)?

If I were going to offer drop off babysitting I would probably do it by the hour and be sure to tell them to provide food, diapers, and wipes. You would also need to have them call ahead to be sure you are there and able to take their children. You may also want to have them let you know when they expect to pick them up and pay in advance or at least make a deposit when they leave so that you don't get stuck not getting paid when they pick up.
#3 of 11 Old 12-06-2007, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

I have been researching on

http://www.daycare.com/index.html

and as far as i can tell -- it is clear as mud --

by providing care in my house, for 4 or less children at a time other than my own (the limit is 6) ... I do not have to be licensed by the state.

I don't think I would ever want more than 4 other than mine anyway :

this is kinda where i am headed with my "ad"

Quote:
Do you need child care a couple of times a week, but different days each week? Or only a few times a month? Or maybe you need care a lot at times, and not other times at all? Or just whenever the need arises? Or would you rather not have to drive so far to find routine care?

If a day care center is not for you, but you need care day time / week day hours when the average babysitter is in school …

Let’s talk. No set schedule required (but they are ok, if that is best for you), no minimum hours expected – we just need to agree in advance as to days and times, so we can both plan our time accordingly.

Personal home-based child care for those less than full time needs is now available in the ----------- area.

I am a mid-30’s, college educated, SAHM with two young children and would be interested in providing your child or children in my home.

I am not looking for a house full, I want to give each child the same attention I give mine.
I will end with my e-mail and I am creating an information sheet to give to anyone who replies.

We are rather rural so i may not ever get any where with this

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#4 of 11 Old 12-06-2007, 02:32 PM
Ame

I used to train childcare providers, so if you need help deciphering state licensing requirements, let me know what area you're in and I will look it up.

Looks good to me...in my experience posting it at grocery stores, churches, and any big employers (they will sometimes let you hang a sign on the employee break room board) is what works best.
#5 of 11 Old 12-06-2007, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

nak

i am in Iowa

I started on this page

http://www.daycare.com/index.html

and went to the Iowa page

http://www.daycare.com/iowa/

I chose to look at Day Care Homes, as i am not a center

This is from the page of definations:

Quote:

"Child care facility" or "facility" means a child care center, a preschool, or a registered child development home.

"Child care home" means a person or program providing child care to five or fewer children at any one time that is not registered to provide child care under this chapter, as authorized under Iowa Code section 237A.3.

"Child development home" means a person or program registered under this chapter that may provide child care to six or more children at any one time.
and since i have 2 boys -- one under 2
Quote:

Age Range Ratio For Family Child Care
All ages (1:6)

[includes provider's preschool children and providing there are no more than 4 children under 2 years of age at any time]
I read this to mean i can have up to 4 kids in my house .. unless i baby sit 3 under two then THAT would be my limit ....

AM I way off on my rading -- reminds me of the years at the group home trying to decifer stuff :

#6 of 11 Old 12-06-2007, 02:49 PM
Ame

looks like you're right on the money
#7 of 11 Old 12-06-2007, 06:14 PM

I do not give sibling discounts. Caring for two related kids is just as much work and cost as two unrelated children. No discounts.

I charge only full day rates. But, I am also someone who has a contract, policies etc and does this full time. FOr part-time I would have half and full day rates. A full day would be anything over 5 hours and a half day anything under 4 hours.

For example a full day might be $35 and a half day would be $20.

goorganic.jpgsaynovax.gif Daycare Provider Who Strives To Encourage Children To Follow Their Innate

www.allnaturaldaycare.com
#8 of 11 Old 12-06-2007, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

I do plan on writting up a information / policy sheet ....

but not really a contract ....

hummmmmm

#9 of 11 Old 12-10-2007, 02:16 AM

boy, i wish you lived near me!
#10 of 11 Old 12-10-2007, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

i hope, as rural as we are, SOMEONE calls me.

#11 of 11 Old 12-10-2007, 05:33 PM

I charge by the hour, and my full-time rate is two dollars less than the part-time rate. However, I don't really look for part-time or drop-offs. I have 2 kids full-time at the moment.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page