Need advice on starting diaper/diaper accessory/kids clothing making biz - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-25-2003, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for some advice on how to get started and how to plan things I might not have thought about. Share with me the things you wish someone had told you/wish you had known in the beginning/costs you didn't expect etc..

Thanks in advance

Karen Mommy of McKenna 2003 & Alysson 2004 homebirth.jpg Expecting stork-girl.gif an early Christmas Present
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2003, 04:06 PM

There are many things to consider, just make sure you think it all through, before you start, to make sure you can do it.
For me, the biggest surprise was how much I really had to put up to get started.
I had a sewing machine, so that was a start.
Then I got a serger. Then I needed material for diapers. Not just one kind, but I wanted velour and sherpa in many colors, I wanted knits and wovens, etc etc.
Then I needed little stuff like elastic, thread (for sewing machine and tons of wooly nylon colors), etc.
Oh wait, I needed labels too, and a snap press, and snaps in 50 million colors.
Then I needed a name, a website designed, the cart setup, web hosting.
I already had a digital camera for the pictures, so that wasn't an expense.
Also, I had to invest in shipping supplies (envelopes, labels, etc).
Extra printer paper and ink for invoices, etc etc etc!
It was just a lot more of an investment than I thought it would be.
Sure, you could do aplix and get by with a few fabrics --but I wanted to do it RIGHT, and have fun variety, etc.
So anyway, that's my experience with starting up SugarPlumBaby.com! I don't know if I'd do it again, but now that it's running for 2 years now, it's not too hard to maintain.
Oh, and another thing that drove me nuts was perfect my patterns! I finally have them all as good as I want 'em! LOL
Old 08-25-2003, 08:30 PM
Banned

I guess I didn't realize just how lonely it would get to be. I knew it would be a bit, but I didn't realize just how much. Also the WAHM business is kinda a limbo. You're not a "real" working mom, and you're not a "real" stay at home mom, kwim?

I was really prepared to work my bottom off without pay for untold years, but the whole solitude was a bit of a shocker.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:47 PM

I think my experience so far has been pretty close to Lori's. So much time and expense has gone into starting up the business that you really have to make sure you want to do it.

Now that we're up and running, I think the hardest part is managing my work time with making sure dd gets as much attention as she wants/needs. Sometimes it's hard to stop working in the middle of something when she wants to play or nurse, or anything, really!

I think the most rewarding thing for me is the ability to be creative and productive, and I REALLY like making things for other people. I think I've given away almost as much as I've made!

Anyway, it's nice to have this "job" where I can make money and stay home, but I do have to work hard at making sure there is a perfect balance between work and family; since you'll be working at home you have to decide if you'll work whenever you can, or if you'll work until maybe dh comes home, etc. HTH!
Old 08-26-2003, 02:37 AM

I agree with Lori

But, Now almost 4 years of being a wahm it is all well worth it..

There is a lot to a start up..
Somethings to make it less is I got USPS shipping stuff free from the post office.

Another thing to consider is blanancing being a wham and a mom.. I don't get much sleep cause I work at night after I get the boys to bed..

Good luck
Liz

User Tag List