Can I sell items without a business license? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-21-2008, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm certainly not going to mass produce anything, or have my own website. I am just a very artistic person, love to sew and would like to make a few one of a kind items and list them. I would like to use paypal. Possibly listing on Etsy or through a wahm community. Do I need a business license? Figuring out how to charge tax, keep records and do taxes makes me feel like it would be too complicated. I know that you don't need a business license if you make used $1000 in a year. I just want to dip my toes in the water. Do people sell over $1000 a year without one, legally? Are thre loop holes on the internet? What's the low down, guys? (A unrelated question, if one were to get a business license, can they easily change their business name, down the road?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2008, 10:53 AM

i too am interested to know this...
Old 01-22-2008, 07:08 PM

It depends on your state, I called for Montana and I don't need one here. I'd call your state revenue department.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:53 AM

Your state will have some kind of minimum dollar sales amount before you are considered a business. Here's the url for the Colorado department of Revenue http://www.revenue.state.co.us/main/home.asp
Old 01-25-2008, 10:42 PM

It depends on your tax laws. I know in Canada you can have a yearly revenue of under $30,000 without having to charge GST, but if you are selling a product you must charge PST right from the get go. Make sure you investigate all your state requirements before you start but also know the government isn't really interested in people who are selling very low volumes (IE under $5000 a year).

User Tag List