Need advice in opening new preschool in Pasadena, Ca - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-12-2008, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This has been a dream of mine for years. Ever since I was pregnant with my first child, I have been looking for a whole child focused child care, with low ratios, healthy food, and somewhere that doesn't stick annoying kids into time outs. I couldn't find it, so we decided to open our own child care center. While I know a bit about child care, development, and education- I have a Master's in child development and psychology, I don't know anything about advertising. Like minded parents absolutely LOVE our program, but people just shopping programs are luke warm. That is fine with me, I want parents who value our philosophy and childcare practices. My problem is, I don't know how to reach those parents.

Any advice?
#2 of 9 Old 02-12-2008, 06:11 PM

The school my son goes to is a lot like you describe ;-) and we're loving it. I first heard about it on the atwatervillage.org forums, because the director posted that she was starting a preschool program.

I don't know if Pasadena has neighborhood councils like Los Angeles does, but is there a community web forum that people go to that might be good? Can you post flyers at baby botiques and such (is there something like The Pump Station in the Pasadena area)? Are there community events you can participate in, like setting up a booth with a craft activity for kids to drop in on and literature about your program? Can parents in the program refer easily (do you have brochures for them to pass along, for example)?
#3 of 9 Old 02-12-2008, 06:19 PM

Ok, I tried to edit my post to add this, but the board is being mean to me, so I'll make a new post:

Another thing that my son's school started doing is Movie Nights on Saturdays. They charge $50 per kid, and you drop off from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. with jammies. Kids get to make pizzas for dinner, watch a G-rated movie, and do a craft activity... meanwhile, parents get a night out. Priority goes to kids already enrolled in the program, but it's open to the community as space is available. It's really got the playgroups and stuff chatting about the school! It's also a good way to let people try out the facility without a big commitment.

They're doing it twice a month, but once a month would probably be plenty. ;-)
#4 of 9 Old 02-12-2008, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to the WAHM Well, since you are asking for advice that is not geographically specific (and if you were targeting people in your area, it could be considered advertising, which is against the UA)

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#5 of 9 Old 02-12-2008, 09:32 PM

I looked into doing licensed Child Care in the L.A area. It is quite regulated and there are a lot of rules you must follow, be inspected for hazards and suitability and safety of the site, asn so forth, but once you jump through these hoops the regulating authority in your area will refer parents to your child care and most people I spoke with during orientation did not have any trouble keeping filled. There were 2 levels 1-6 kids and 6-12. Each level had a different set of requirements.

http://www.ladpss.org/dpss/child_care/default.cfm
#6 of 9 Old 02-12-2008, 10:16 PM

MOMS Club (there are a few chapters in the Pasadena area, Gymboree. Especially if you're a preschool, and not full-time childcare (it was difficult for me to tell from your post).

Again, if you're a preschool, I might do a couple months where once a week I held a free Mommy and Me class so people could come check you out. If you advertised this kind of thing through MOMS Club you'd definitely get some takers.

Good luck,
-e

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#7 of 9 Old 02-12-2008, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

MOMS clubs! Movie nights! and Mommy and Me classes! What great ideas. I had been thinking about touching base with local doulas and birth instructors. Maybe they could use the facility after hours...
#8 of 9 Old 02-12-2008, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.V. Lowi View Post
I looked into doing licensed Child Care in the L.A area. It is quite regulated and there are a lot of rules you must follow, be inspected for hazards and suitability and safety of the site, asn so forth, but once you jump through these hoops the regulating authority in your area will refer parents to your child care and most people I spoke with during orientation did not have any trouble keeping filled. There were 2 levels 1-6 kids and 6-12. Each level had a different set of requirements.

http://www.ladpss.org/dpss/child_care/default.cfm
Yup, there are a lot of hoops! But, hey, I'm a good circus poodle.
#9 of 9 Old 02-12-2008, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixoxo View Post

I wanted to ask local mommas about area specific resources.

Was the forum I posted in the wrong place to ask Pasadena, Ca mom's about ways to reach local parents?
The purpose of FYT was never intended to be market research; rather, questions about running a business belong in the WAHM Well. In FYT, they often turn inadvertently turn into advertisements:
Quote:
Though Finding Your Tribe was originally opened to help parents find each other based on their location we have welcomed tribe threads for parents of a like-minded path to meet and chit chat with one another. However, such threads should not take a focus of discussion for a topic that is hosted in an existing forum at MDC.
FYT Guidelines

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them via PM, as per the User Agreement:
Quote:
Do not post to debate or challenge the MDC User Agreement, the moderators, administrators, or their actions. Constructive criticism and questions for purposes of clarification are best addressed directly to the moderator or administrator by private message or personal e-mail. If this is not successful, see Recourse.
Thanks, and good luck with your business!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page