What are you looking for on ebay?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 09-09-2003, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am not sure if this is the best place to post this, maybe under WAHM. but if it needs to be moved, so be it. I recently put some of my new diapers that I made on ebay and even though I knew they were cute and one even got attention on this forum, noone bid. Why is that? Were they the wrong size, I realize that these were leaning toward the small size (my dd isn't even born yet), but would like to know wht was "missing" that noone bought them. Please help.......I would like to support my own stash making at least......

Here is a listing for an auction that has already CLOSED so that you can critique.....CLOSED EBAY AUCTION

This is not SPAM, just need INPUT, please.............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 09-09-2003, 10:21 AM

ACK!
I was watching that one, and forgot to bid!:

Some things to think of when listing:
Ebay has the most traffic on Sunday nights, so if you can have your auctions end then, you will get the most hits.

So you would list a 7 day auction on Sunday, a 5 day on Tuesday, and a 3 day on Thurs.
A lot of people will just look at what auctions are closing first.

I find that a lot of Ebaying is impulse buying, so a BIN option may help you in the beginning to start forming some reviews on your dipes.

Another thing to consider is shipping costs. I try to got with as close to actual shipping as I can. I find this way people are more willing to bid higher, and aren't put off by the shipping price. Most smaller items (like dipes) can be sent first class for about $2.00.

I thought your auction looked very good, maybe you could try jazzing up the text a bit...some colors? I think your picture looks great. I am sorry I missed this one...I will check back to see if you list more
#3 of 16 Old 09-09-2003, 10:24 AM

when I look for a small diaper I like to see the legs have good elastic. It kinda looks like the elastic on the legs of your diaper is not very tight (read=would leak poop)

also, you only give a back view, can't see the front or inside. Seeing all of the diaper is important to me if I'm going to buy it or not yk?

I actually didn't see that auction before though

here's my reason for not really liking denim diapers (and I may be totally alone in this, this is only my opinion...does not reflect on wahms at all)

Denim diapers seem like they would be bulky, and since dress season is almost over here it is impractical to think I could shove a denim diaper under other pants.
#4 of 16 Old 09-09-2003, 10:29 AM

I actually contacted you about your diaper (mjnickie is me on e-bay) I love this diaper, it is too small for my little man, but I agree with the BIN pricing, honestly I don't trust myself bidding for things anymore, I am always paying too much because I get in a 'war' so I use the BIN if I have a chance.

Also a web site will help, so people can see more pictures and other diapers you have made, not to mention it helps when you don't have e-bay things listed that are the 'right' size but are cute, people can go look and see if you have something else coming up or if you have something that they can custom order.

If you need help with the website set up or anything like that, let me know I am more than willing to help (I love to trade for diapers, ask Heidi from Sugarbums )

Med is the best seller for diapers, it always is because it is the size most kids are in for the longest, so Med is a good size to start with. Also if you are just starting out, maybe offer up some 'tester' diapers to get your name out there? that helps too! good luck~ That diaper is super cute~
#5 of 16 Old 09-09-2003, 12:15 PM

Here is a listing for an auction that has already CLOSED so that you can critique.....CLOSED EBAY AUCTION

This is not SPAM, just need INPUT, please............. [/B][/QUOTE]

When I look for stuff on ebay I first look at the style/print. If I like it then I'll see what size it is. Then if the size is right I'll see how much the shipping is. What type of shipping will I be getting if I pay $3.00? Is this shipping and Handling?

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!
#6 of 16 Old 09-09-2003, 12:54 PM

It's very cute, but I like lots of pics. I would want to see what the front looks like, at least. I've also heard that it's kind of slow on ebay lately, it's a buyer's market with lots of things closing for really cheap. Great for the buyer, but not for the seller who's trying to make $$.
#7 of 16 Old 09-09-2003, 03:46 PM

I would make the fact that it is an AIO more prominent and tell what the soaker is made of. It was super cute and if it were the right size, a soaker 'ingredient' that I find favorable (I've been BURNED by vague seller before) and I had seen it was an AIO, I would have bid.
#8 of 16 Old 09-09-2003, 04:27 PM

agreed with the above and remember we are going into the "winter=pants" season so jeans dipes won't be as popular. another thing, that is well tossed about here, and most of the time in a not so kind way way, please proof read, spell/grammar check your auction; you don't want to be remembered as the wahm that doesn't critique her work.

btw, it really is a cute diaper, but unknown quality tends to scare away bidders. best of luck

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#9 of 16 Old 09-09-2003, 04:35 PM

I had this saved in "My Ebay" and forgot to bid. But one thing that was keeping me from bidding right away was it didn't say the weight range it would fit and I wanted to see a front pic too. But it is really SUPER cute!!
#10 of 16 Old 09-09-2003, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

thanks so much for all of your input. I was afraid that me being "unknown" might of scared some people, but didn't know how to get known. I am still perfecting my small dipes as I have no test model (still dealing with about a 2 pound fetus at this time) but will try to enlarge.

Glad to hear that denim is more of a summer dipe, will consider that next time. Just bought some great dark green jeans with matching flannel shirt for some new dipes.

It wasn't an AIO. It was a pocket dipe as I was afraid that it would take FOREVER to dry otherwise. Not sure compared to Windpro, but still.........

If someone could help me on the weight range, diaper sewing gives inches, but no weight if I remember properly (I could be totally mistaken).

Pictures........hmmmm.....will add lots more.......figured that red fleece and front being plain was enough, but live and learn

Shipping, figured it would cost close to that, but have never shipped one before either....will be more specific next time.

BIN.will remember that too. Have never used this feature, but am willing to try.

Thanks again for all the help.............
#11 of 16 Old 09-09-2003, 10:33 PM

just one more thing...I almost never bid on single diapers unless it's something really special and an AIO, I prefer packages of at least two diapers. The way shipping costs are, it's too expensive to buy one at a time.

Tina
Mom to two boys, 2002 and 2004 and a bouncing baby due in June, 2012!    autismribbon.gif               jumpers.gif

#12 of 16 Old 09-09-2003, 10:39 PM

I agree that you need at least one more picture of the diaper. Ideally I like to see a picture of the front, back, and inside of the diaper before I buy it. I also agree that you should have your diapers tested, and maybe even post the tester's review of your diaper on your auctions so bidders can read another person's opinion on your diapers. I'm sure there are plenty of moms here who would love to test out a diaper for you and let you know what they think of it.

I also purchased some bad diapers from a WAHM who sells on e-bay and that made me reluctant to purchase diapers from e-bay again. That is why I like seeing lots of pictures and detailed descriptions so I know what I'm really getting. Good luck!

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#13 of 16 Old 09-10-2003, 12:29 AM

Your diaper is a very cute idea! I just don't buy on eBay any more though unless it's a specific brand I recognize, because I bought some diapers from someone and they looked cute in the pictures, but then when I got them in the mail they were horribly sewn and they smelled of some perfume, and then took 3 hours and still wouldn't dry so I gave most of them away. I even cut one open because there was a sharp point sticking through on the inside - turned out it was a hand towel inside that still had the little plastic thing on it that holds on the price tag.
#14 of 16 Old 09-10-2003, 10:37 AM

I think it's cute! I love the idea, but I find denim stiff on my jeans, I just can't put it on my baby's bum. But I think if you play up the fact that it's a pocket dipe, add a pic of the front and reveal your soaker materials and number of layers then you'll have more success. Also now that school is in people are back to routine and bidding on Ebay again. Good luck!
#15 of 16 Old 09-10-2003, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Med is the best seller for diapers, it always is because it is the size most kids are in for the longest, so Med is a good size to start with.
I just wanted to politely disagree with this. I think generally it's large size diapers that children are in the longest. Smaller babies will probably be in mediums longer, sure, but mine who were born at 8-4, 8-8 and 10 lbs and grew fast would have been (and were, my youngest two I CD) out of mediums before they were three months. Liam has been able to wear a large fitted from about 2 months till current date, he's 9-1/2 mos old One of my bigger CDing mistakes was taking my 100$ startup money and spending it on medium sized fitteds - that hardly got much use, fun as it was plus it got nme hooked on the wahm world - but soon I was scrambling to scrape up money to get a dozen cpf's that would fit (and I still have those )

Happily I saved them and was able to use them on the third baby, for a month or so :LOL

And buyer's experience wise, it's of course more econimical to pay money on diapers that will be used the longest - me and ten other mommas for example will be watching and bidding on the large auction.

Now, what I look for:
-sizing/weight range/measurements
-front snap/side snap or aplix or pinnable?
-exact materials used - fleece or Malden Mills fleece? Absorbant soaker or 3 layer hemp fleece soaker? Knit outter or PRR outter?
-AIO? Pocket Style? Fitted? Quick-dry?
-Are the legs ruffely? Is the elastic encased, or foldover, etc...
-Turned and topstitched? Serged?
-General construction of diaper
-Pictures speak a thousand words
-Pricing, BINs, exact shipping costs, is it too high or just right?
-Lots of two or more for fitteds are great, saves on shipping
#16 of 16 Old 09-10-2003, 08:43 PM

Movin' on over to the WAHM Well!

Good luck selling... hope the WAHMS can help you!

xo pam

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page