crib bedding copyright?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-23-2008, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've read through several threads about patterns and copyright for clothes but does anyone know about crib bedding sets (bumper/skirt etc). We've had some requests from customers who really like our fabrics to start making crib sets. I assume they are all a standard size so that would be pretty much the same across the board. We were going to just look at a few different ones and then kind of make our own pattern based on that. Would we run into any problems with this? I've looked online at different companies and their bedding sets and they all seem pretty much the same so my guess is it should be fine. If anyone has any info, I'd appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 07-24-2008, 01:27 AM

No links for you specifically on bedding/copyright but I would say that bedding as a useful object is not covered by copyright. If there is artwork, that is protected but just the bed shape itself is not.

http://www.benedict.com/Info/Info.aspx

ETA: Link
#3 of 5 Old 07-24-2008, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, that is kind of what I was thinking as well. Seems like it'd be hard to own the pattern for something that is a standard pattern like bedding. I'll keep digging to see what I can find.
#4 of 5 Old 07-31-2008, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
its a bunch of squares and rectangles. i never even use a pattern . . .how can it be copy righted?

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#5 of 5 Old 08-02-2008, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Well put, lilyka. I think I just needed that extra verification of what I was thinking! Now that I've moved on, I am really excited to get some sets put together for the holidays! Thanks.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page