Blogs... Really? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 08-14-2008, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel like everyone and her sister has a blog nowadays and I never ever read them, ever; who has time? But I hear some of you recommend them highly... Is there really money in blogging? Or do you do it to drive traffic to you site? Does that work? I'm dubious, convince me.

treehugger.gif
#2 of 30 Old 08-14-2008, 06:59 PM

If you have a on your business website its AMAZING for SEO! It helps search engines index you better and then helps peopel find your website better.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#3 of 30 Old 08-14-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine233 View Post
If you have a on your business website its AMAZING for SEO! It helps search engines index you better and then helps peopel find your website better.
:

Most of the traffic to my website came from my basic Wordpress blog.
#4 of 30 Old 08-15-2008, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine233 View Post
The trick here is that you have to actually post interesting content on your blog, often.

I have a client who can't understand why her blog isn't getting her any traffic -- but she only has one post on it and it's nothing but keywords.

Do a search on your main keyword phrases, followed by the word blog, and you'll see some great examples of blogs in your industry.

For example:

baby sling blog
cloth diaper blog
product sellers blog

Are you a geek? Learn how to turn what you're geeked about into a successful home business at Home Business Geeks! Need Reliable Web hosting?
#5 of 30 Old 08-15-2008, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
The trick here is that you have to actually post interesting content on your blog, often.

I have a client who can't understand why her blog isn't getting her any traffic -- but she only has one post on it and it's nothing but keywords.

Do a search on your main keyword phrases, followed by the word blog, and you'll see some great examples of blogs in your industry.

For example:

baby sling blog
cloth diaper blog
product sellers blog
Most definitely! The more the better.

I'm awful at posting on mine, but I do try to do once a month (You really should a couple times a week at least) but since I have good relevant content it still helps me a TON. Most of my hits are through my blog.

#6 of 30 Old 08-15-2008, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

hmmm, I do well enough by the search engines, but I can always use more traffic, lol. I wonder what I could write about...

treehugger.gif
#7 of 30 Old 08-15-2008, 05:27 PM

Write about your products and associated issues. Like write about the advantages of hemp/bamboo and the diva cup and issues surrounding your poducts. With keyword and links!
#8 of 30 Old 08-15-2008, 07:36 PM

I get a lot of search engine traffic from my blog. It is amazing to see what people search for and how they end up at my site! The system that I use is not wordpress but runs like wordpress on steriods. Google loves it. I am a complete dummy when it comes to anything techie and I was able to set my blog up myself. There was no plugins I needed to install (not that i even know what a plugin is . But I heard others having not so much fun with them.
#9 of 30 Old 08-15-2008, 07:40 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#10 of 30 Old 08-19-2008, 03:52 AM

:

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#11 of 30 Old 08-19-2008, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

my big idea has been to start a forum to drive "weird" search traffic to my sites, but I haven't gotten around to finishing it, and I know from experience that fori are hard to populate. Maybe I will do a blog, when I get time...

treehugger.gif
#12 of 30 Old 08-19-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutmama View Post
my big idea has been to start a forum to drive "weird" search traffic to my sites, but I haven't gotten around to finishing it, and I know from experience that fori are hard to populate. Maybe I will do a blog, when I get time...
A blog is much better. You can make it match your site completely and its easier to keep up and active. Going to a pretty empty forum wont generate much, but a semi active blog with do a ton!

#13 of 30 Old 08-19-2008, 03:15 PM

I put up a recipe about how to make homemade fig newtons (I know...what the heck does that have to do with toys....but, I just loved the recipe and wanted to share) and have gotten a bunch of hits back to my shop from that!

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#14 of 30 Old 08-19-2008, 09:38 PM

I'm a member of the etsy cloth diaper street team, and we did a promotion a few months ago that happened to involved giving away free diapers...so I have a blog post in my archives titled FREE CLOTH DIAPERS starting today! And I tell ya what, I get so many hits on that thing I actually had someone leave me a comment on it just today that they went to the site (the team blog) and hunted and couldn't find any free diapers. Um, well, it's a post from April...but I went back to the post and edited it to clarify anyway. But yeah, having certain keywords (like, apparently, FREE next to CLOTH DIAPER) will bring in traffic.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#15 of 30 Old 08-19-2008, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Geeze, it kind of seems like cheating, doesn't it? But I guess as long as it works and other people can do it just as easily as I can, it's not unfair and worth looking into. Thanks!

treehugger.gif
#16 of 30 Old 08-20-2008, 09:44 PM

I had a blog for a year or so before I started my business, and I just blog about our life and random kid and crafty topics. It is amazing how much my blog has helped me make sales. It drives traffic to my shop, and I also think the idea that people "know" me makes them likely to purchase from me. I think maybe 15-20% of my Etsy sales are from people who read my blog.

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#17 of 30 Old 08-21-2008, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprons_and_acorns View Post
I also think the idea that people "know" me makes them likely to purchase from me. I think maybe 15-20% of my Etsy sales are from people who read my blog.
That's exactly it. People prefer to buy from those they know, like and trust.

Are you a geek? Learn how to turn what you're geeked about into a successful home business at Home Business Geeks! Need Reliable Web hosting?
#18 of 30 Old 08-21-2008, 01:54 AM

So how can you tell that blog readers are buying more things for your shops? (Hope you don't mind my question as a non-WAHM )
#19 of 30 Old 08-21-2008, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfern View Post
So how can you tell that blog readers are buying more things for your shops? (Hope you don't mind my question as a non-WAHM )
We are able to see entry pages on our web sites and can even set it up so that an entry page of a website will track sales etc. Since I offer a service and not a product I can't do that exactly, but I can still track my web stats to see what pages/areas of my website are attracting the most people, where they come from and keywords used to get to my web site. I use Google Analytics for this.

#20 of 30 Old 08-21-2008, 10:05 PM

Cool, thanks Kristine.
#21 of 30 Old 08-26-2008, 04:25 PM

Does it matter what type of blog you use? Is there one that allows you to be more creative?

Rain (want to be WAHM)
#22 of 30 Old 08-26-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raingyrl View Post
Does it matter what type of blog you use? Is there one that allows you to be more creative?

Rain (want to be WAHM)
Yes and no. Self host blogs are much better for SEO than blogs hosted at the blog sites. Especially if you are wanting to promote your website, then you want it on the same host.

WordPress offers the most for plugins and SEO options. I'd definitely go that route! But host it on your web site's host, not at wordpress.

#23 of 30 Old 08-26-2008, 09:25 PM

I feel like I'm learning a new language here. How do I host a blog on my website?
#24 of 30 Old 08-27-2008, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raingyrl View Post
I feel like I'm learning a new language here. How do I host a blog on my website?
You (or your web designer) install the blogging software on your hosting account, which is where your website lives. So, for example, if your website is www.mywebsite.com, then you might want to install your blog in a subdirectory called blog. The address to your blog would then be www.mywebsite.com/blog.

Also, if your hosting company provides cPanel on their servers, they may also have a script called fantastico. Fantastico makes installing Wordpress as easy as filling out a form.

#25 of 30 Old 08-27-2008, 11:24 PM

Thanks! I have a lot to learn!
#26 of 30 Old 08-28-2008, 05:43 PM

I use Blogi360 for my blog. It is realy easy to set up and you can create all sorts of webpages and not just blog posts using this system. There are so many bonuses to using blogI360. It is a business blogging software and it is designed to drive traffic to your site as soon as you set it up and start using it. You don't need to install plugins or anything like that. You can easily put in youtube videos, interviews, affiliate links, pictures etc. What happens when you use BlogI360 is that it sends your posts to social bookmarking site automatically. This creates links back to your blog. Google likes links and will give you a higher ranking on your keywords. If you were to submit your posts manually to the social bookmarking sites (wordpress won't do this for you) - it would take you a long time and since it is tedious work - you are less likely to do it.

The more I blog the more free google traffic I get.
#27 of 30 Old 12-11-2008, 02:03 PM

nak: wow, this totally inspiring! i've been thinking about blogging and since my dh is an artisan we've thinking about an online store...this seems manageable. thanks for the info!
#28 of 30 Old 01-06-2009, 06:28 PM
Ame

You can make money blogging...but it takes work, dedication, and lots of time. If you're doing the blog as a source of income (rather than to drive traffic to an existing website/store), then you will also need to enjoy writing and be resourceful. I also recommend Worpress, as it is extremely versatile and easy to use ( a whole lot like MS Word).
#29 of 30 Old 01-06-2009, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You want to know what pushed my personal blog over 14, 000 hits? A couple of ghost stories and a bit about a haunted road here where we live that has very little information on it!

People like ghost stories apparently *lol*
#30 of 30 Old 01-22-2009, 04:11 AM

I'm so glad I found this thread. I've been trying to figure out how to improve our site and mvoing our self-hosted blog onto a bloggin site. It's good to hear that there is a good reason not to do so as I have been a bit frustrated with our website designer. Still, I don't have the tagging, search options, and other features that you get.

Has anyone gotten results from commenting on other blogs? That's been recommended to me, but I just don't really know where to start.

I don't think the rules allow me posting my site, but you can PM me or look for farm camp in California.

DS#1 1/05, DS#2 4/07, DD 12/11  homebirth.jpgcd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page