Looking for work that's 100% online - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-17-2008, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in a really remote area, and don't have the option to do childcare or a lot of those other classic WAHM options. I do have an etsy shop but it's small and erratic in sales and I'd really like something more consistent and reliable.
I knew a lady in college who did transcription from home--she was a single mom. They would email her scanned hand-written legal notes and she would type them up and email them back...that kind of thing would be IDEAL for me as I am a pretty fast typist.
I know a little bit about web layout but not a ton, so I don't know that I'd feel confident trying to market myself that way...
I've browsed through the archives here a little but I didn't see anything that seemed like it fit my situation.
Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions? I'd sure appreciate it!

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2008, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, I should add that I'm college educated (BA in education--theatre and English) so I do have that background for whatever it's worth...I've let my teacher's certificate expire because I'm home with the kids now, but we're just uber-tight on cash and I'm hoping to find something that will help bring in a few hundred a month...

Old 10-18-2008, 01:21 AM

If you were previously a teacher, how about online tutoring?

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 10-18-2008, 04:55 AM

If you do any graphics, design or can come up with funny sayings you could do cafepress.com and/or zazzle.com.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
Old 10-18-2008, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
If you were previously a teacher, how about online tutoring?
I love that idea! Do you happen to know of any sites where I could start looking into something like that?!

Old 10-18-2008, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
If you do any graphics, design or can come up with funny sayings you could do cafepress.com and/or zazzle.com.
Can you tell me more about how that works? I thought it was a venue where people could sell stuff they made/printed themselves...but would they print my sayings/designs for me? That's an interesting thought!

Old 10-18-2008, 06:37 AM

You just upload designs.

For cafepress jpgs or pngs and choose the items you want to sell them on. It cost you nothing till you want to upgrade to a premium shop (I didn't till I was comfortably selling enough that my sales always paid for the fees.)

For zazzle you can upload jpgs and pngs too, but they also have an interface that allows you to use their fonts to put saying on stuff.

Both site take care of things like shipping, inventory, printing, collecting payments, etc. All you have to do is design. Cafepress even has a very active market place. Zazzle has a market too, but it isn't as active. You can always try to drive sales to your site too. Cafepress has a forum to talk about these things.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
Old 10-18-2008, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

THANK YOU EEPSTER!!! You rock!
I'll look into that.

Other ideas still appreciated!

Old 10-18-2008, 12:24 PM

There's tutor.com... I'm on tutorsteach.com, but that's more for hooking up with students in your area that want to meet a tutor live. There are tons of sites for strictly online though, like Brainfuse.com...

treehugger.gif
Old 10-18-2008, 02:46 PM

I work for a company called ChaCha looking things up & answering questions online. I'd be happy to tell you more if you are intrested.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:16 PM

I'm also interested to hear about anyone's experience with a tutoring site. I looked at tutor. com and their site doesn't list the pay for tutors; instead they say that pay is discussed after you submit an application. It seems like kind of a lot of work in the beginning to apply to find out later that they only pay for peanuts, you know?

rural mama to DD1 DD2
unschooling, non-vaxing, writing, gardening, co-sleeping, critter-loving family :
Old 10-18-2008, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
I work for a company called ChaCha looking things up & answering questions online. I'd be happy to tell you more if you are intrested.
I'd love to hear more about that! How time-consuming is it? Do you have to commit to a certain number of hours/questions answered or is it really flexible? What types of questions?

Old 10-18-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
I'd be interested in something like that too. I seem to spend most of my time doing that kind of thing for free, anyway.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Old 10-18-2008, 07:11 PM

Here's a company that does transcription:
http://www.speak-write.com/TypistNav...ment/index.cfm

They do legal and non-legal transcription (they list additional qualifications for legal transcription)
Old 10-18-2008, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

I tried signing up for chacha and it only let me get partway through the process...it says it's having an internal server error right now...I tried a couple of times and it got hung up in the same place (submitting the W-9 information). So I guess I'll have to try another time. It looks like a good program though, thanks for the heads up!

Old 10-18-2008, 08:46 PM

I work for ChaCha as well. How much you make is totally up to you. The first week is kind of slow, because you can only make 0.10$ a question. But if you answer 200 questions, with 95% accuracy, you can make 0.20$ a question. The first week, I made almost 70 dollars, and that was doing it when my baby slept, an hour or so in the morning, in the evening when my SO was here to watch the lil one, and on his days off, I worked about 2-3 hours.

If you are offended by sexual questions, this job is not for you. If you get offended by jokes, this job is not for you. I approach everything with a very literal answer. FOr instance, I got a question today, "Where does a guy like a girls hands?" and I answered, "On the end of her arms, attached to her wrists." About 40% of the questions I get are sexual in nature.

If all of that is ok, its a VERY easy way to make money. After week 1, my pay was doubled, and I make about 140-160 a week now. They have contests on the weekend, and offer extra money for all kinds of things.

If you have any other questions, you can PM me, and I'd be happy to help out!

NTM
Old 10-18-2008, 08:50 PM

I was going to suggest ChaCha as well. NewTennMom's post is great. :
Old 10-18-2008, 09:46 PM

I also do ChaCha. For the past few week sthey've been having wierd system upgrade bugs, but I think things are going more smoothly for the application process now.

It's good because it takes 1-3 minutes per query, and there's no limitations/requirements - do a question here or there, or spend a two-hour naptime online answering questions. I've been with them 3 weeks and have made Top Guide (answer 200 queries in a 1-week time frame) without any problem, and I only do it 4 days a week at naptime or while my toddler is fully occupied with coloring or whatever.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

NTM thanks for the warnings about there being a lot of sexual questions on chacha. I can handle that, but I'm glad I know in advance.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutmama View Post
There's tutor.com... I'm on tutorsteach.com, but that's more for hooking up with students in your area that want to meet a tutor live. There are tons of sites for strictly online though, like Brainfuse.com...
brainfuse requires a fingerprint/criminal background check as part of its hiring process! I agree with the background check, but fingerprinting?!

Anyone work with tutor. com? Any other sites?

What has your experience been like with the tutorsearch.com?

rural mama to DD1 DD2
unschooling, non-vaxing, writing, gardening, co-sleeping, critter-loving family :
Old 10-19-2008, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skim View Post
brainfuse requires a fingerprint/criminal background check as part of its hiring process! I agree with the background check, but fingerprinting?!
Fingerprinting is a stardard part of a criminal background check--they look to see if you have a criminal record anywhere. Honestly I think it's a good idea because people can lie about their names and things but ya can't fake a fingerprint. I had to get one as part of teacher certification, DH and I also had to get them done as part of our adoption application process.

User Tag List