Mothering Forum banner

Freebirth / Unassisted birth

4K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  BirthFree 
#1 ·
I'm so aggravated by our healthcare, that I've decided to do a homebirth. With insurance it would cost us well over $6100, but a midwife will be $3500, out of pocket. This is crazy. We have to purchase a new vehicle, we've only ever have had one during our sixteen years of marriage (we work together, and I work part time, so it's been unnecessary) now we have to purchase a second one, and money is already tight. I feel like skipping all the prenatal care anyways. I mean, I can take my own BP, take my own glucose readings, and weight. If there is a problem, we are a phone call away from a hospital right?

For those who have UC'd, I think there is one in our group, right Freebirth? did you take CPR class for baby? What books did you read? How did you prepare. How did your husband prepare? Also, there is no way I can tell anyone, my family is already freaking out about me wanting a homebirth.

#2 ·
I hope this comes across kindly, the way I intend it... but UC because of money reasons is never a good idea.

That said, there's a few things you can do to prepare for potential birth issues... but you also have to 100% accept that if stuff go sideways, that's how it goes. Sometimes that's too much responsibility for couples and they couldn't live with themselves if they lost their baby from something that a trained provider could have prevented. Only you know how you feel about this.

Emergency Childbirth is a good book, knowing hemorrhage herbs is important, what to do with/for shoulder dystocia, what your partner needs to do if you pass out, if there's meconium, how to help baby take expanding breaths if they don't breathe, when to call Emergency, how much bleeding is too much, etc.

I researched my face off. Every time. I'm glad I did it. I felt like those babies told me to. Good luck!! [emoji175]

#3 ·
And I so didn't tell anyone we were doing UC... NO ONE understands that level of "crazy" in my personal world! [emoji1]

And DH just trusted me... to a really high level. I wrote out what to do if I passed out - for baby, me, etc. The births went beyond smoothly... both incredibly fast (one was 16 contractions/40 minutes total).

UP (unassisted pregnancy) is pretty easy... but I'm super sensitive so I could tell if I needed more iron, protein, etc. I had some pee sticks to check my pee, I'd measure my fundal height, listen to baby with a fetoscope, etc.
[emoji175]

#4 ·
Thank you for your kind words. Birthing alone just bc of a lack of money isn't my only reason. I've felt confident enough in the past to do this, however, my husband is not. I have nearly passed out during birth, but I believe it's bc of the pitocin I was given, and birthing on my back, when I was able to sit up, and I felt better. We've had shoulder dystocia with another one, that time, the dr cut me. Now I'm aware of changing positions to all fours, again, I was laboring on my back.

I am not new to the UC idea, but new to idea actually considering it, so anymore ideas of books to read is welcome. I am not scared to give birth with my husband, without a midwife or dr present, heck, I'm more scared now to have raise another child. I was looking to be have more free time, and that's out the window.

I'm so just overwhelmed with going to the hospital, or having others near me.I just want to do this alone. I know I'm strong. Any more ideas I will welcome.

#6 ·
Thank you, Birth Free. I looked into becoming a CPM a couple years ago after nursing school, since being a nurse was too medical for me, and I have some of these books, Hearts and Hands, and couple of Ina May's. I've been rereading Hearts and Hands. Looks like I'll get these out and reread these. Thanks for the others. Is the Unassisted Childbirth, that's Laura Shanley, right? I've been on her website quite a few times the past the past week checking things out. Looks like I've been heading down the right road, thanks for the other ideas.

#7 ·
Yeah she talks more about the religious part of the why, for UC, and the emotional limits company has for laboring Mom's.

I'm not sure we won't have this baby UC... but for now I'm planning a midwife. I had a dream we had the baby alone, but I'm not rushing ahead yet.

I like herbal wisdom and the nutrition from them so I also was into Susun Weed's herbal book, there's some awesome old Midwifery Today magazines with some awesome helps, as well as their Tips and Tricks volumes (yearly I think?). They never are out of being currently useful. eBay may be a good spot for some of those.

Sounds like you've got some good direction. [emoji175]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.