open enrollment is here! and my baby will soon follow...
also, i live in Virginia (which may sometimes couple with DC and MD)
typical scenario, have been seeing an OB on the preferred list of my current PPO but have seen the light(designated for me at least) and am transferring out of the care and hospital arena to choose one of the lovely local midwives in the DC/NoVa area. would love to take advantage of the best insurance provider available(ie best reimbursement and coverage of all things deemed 'alternative') before the end of enrollment (first week of december) but have become more and more frustrated in my search.
current plan: Federal BlueCross BlueShield, who only acknowledges the CNM license as an available reimbursement situation. 2009 benefits only seem to get worse with percentages and deductables. they do however, like every other prospective nationwide PPO provider gloat on and on about the incredibly large list of physicians and hospitals that will 'accept' us and cover 100% of everything. is this wondrous birthing event really treated like an illness? like some sort of life-threatening open-heart surgical procedure? a choosy face-lift?
in my search (listed far below) i have only found the same disturbing realities from incompetent customer service representatives for the maternity/mother/newborn care for 2009: no licenses are recognized unless it is that of a preferred or out of network CNM. are there work-arounds? how can this be possible? i have even tried to call numerous times to speak with various representatives of the same plan.
consequently, my options are A) i can blindly choose one of the PPO's for 2009 and hope that they could offer better assistance with reimbursment rates and understand the appeal process a bit better if i'm clever enough with a paper trail...or B) unwillingly stick with Federal BlueCross BlueShield regardless of the known fact that they are disregarding more home birth 'situations' and my percentage of reimbursement completely disappearing in '09 as there seems to be no hope in the world of helpful insurance providers anyway
assistance? reassurance? being that the list i have available to me equal to the same form of a 'benefit plan' does it truly matter if i switch or not? how can such inexpensive (in comparison to hospital births) natural rituals become such a dilemma? how awful!
thanks so much for reading.
just to get an idea, here is the list for my choosing of 2009 healthcare providers (maybe somebody, somewhere can shine a bit of light or clarity on what i've already mentioned on my findings/rant above) FFS=PPO, with the nationwide selections typically being a priority:
- Aetna HealthFund -CDHP- Most of Virginia CDP 877-459-6604 VA
- Aetna HealthFund -HDHP- Most of Virginia HDP 877-459-6604 VA - - - Aetna Open Access -basic- Northern/Central/Richmond Virginia Areas HMO 877-459-6604 VA
- Aetna Open Access -high- Northern/Central/Richmond Virginia Areas HMO 877-459-6604 VA
- APWU Health Plan -CDHP- Nationwide FFS 866-833-3463 Nationwide
- APWU Health Plan -high- Nationwide FFS 800-222-2798 Nationwide
- Association Benefit Plan -high- Specific Areas FFS 800-634-0069 Specific Groups
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield Service Benefit Plan -basic- Nationwide FFS Local phone # Nationwide
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield Service Benefit Plan -std- Nationwide FFS Local phone # Nationwide
- CareFirst BlueChoice -high- Northern Virginia HMO 866/296-7363 VA
- Foreign Service Benefit Plan -high- Specific Areas FFS 202-833-4910 Specific Groups
- GEHA Benefit Plan -high- Nationwide FFS 800-821-6136 Nationwide
- GEHA Benefit Plan -std- Nationwide FFS 800-821-6136 Nationwide
- GEHA High Deductible Health Plan -HDHP- Nationwide FFS 800-821-6136 Nationwide
- Kaiser Foundation Health Plan Mid-Atlantic States -high- Northern Virginia/Fredericksburg area HMO 1-877-574-3337 VA
- Kaiser Foundation Health Plan Mid-Atlantic States -std- Northern Virginia/Fredericksburg area HMO 1-877-574-3337 VA
- M.D. IPA -high- N.VA/Cntrl
VA/Richmond/Tidewater/Roanoke HMO 877-835-9861 VA
- Mail Handlers Benefit Plan Consumer Option -HDHP- Nationwide FFS 800-694-9901 Nationwide
- Mail Handlers Benefit Plan -std- Nationwide FFS 800-410-7778 Nationwide
- Mail Handlers Benefit Plan Value Nationwide FFS 800-410-7778 Nationwide
- NALC -high- Nationwide FFS 888-636-6252 Nationwide
- Panama Canal Area Benefit Plan -high- Specific Areas FFS 800-424-8196 Specific Groups
- Rural Carrier Benefit Plan -high- Specific Areas FFS 800-638-8432 Specific Groups
- SAMBA -high- Nationwide FFS 800-638-6589 Nationwide
- SAMBA -std- Nationwide FFS 800-638-6589 Nationwide
- UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company, Inc. -CDHP- Virginia CDP 877-835-9861 VA
- UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company, Inc. -HDHP- Virginia HDP 877-835-9861 VA