Can you help me spell this name? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 12-03-2008, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The only girl's name DH and I can seem to agree on is Tea (pronounced Tay-ah). Like Tea Leoni. I have a problem with the spelling though. It's supposed to have that accent over the e - but really who knows how to actually type that? In this digital age most things are typed and I fear people would think it is tea - like the hot beverage. I don't want my daughter to go through life constantly having to correct people on how to pronounce her name. Does anyone have any work arounds or thoughts or nice alternative spellings that wouldn't be too odd? Thanks!!

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#2 of 25 Old 12-03-2008, 11:11 PM

hrrmmm

Taia or Taya

Thea?

babyf.gif

#3 of 25 Old 12-03-2008, 11:18 PM

Teyah
Teiyah
Tayia

Hmmmm. That's a tough one.

Vanessa - aspiring Traditional Foods momma of Graham & Margot
#4 of 25 Old 12-03-2008, 11:20 PM

Honestly, with a name like that, she will constantly have to correct people. Even teachers, coworkers, neighbors - all people that will have regular contact with her on a regular bases, not just people you meet for the first time. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful name and if it has a special meaning to it or you just really like it, then I think that's what you should name it. But if one of your dealbreakers is others not being able to pronounce it, then I would pick something else.

I would probably go with Taeya for the most phonetic spelling, but expect a lot of Tay-ya's, with emphasis on the "ya" rather than just "a" like it's supposed to be.
#5 of 25 Old 12-03-2008, 11:25 PM

Teya
I love the name!

bouncy.gif&babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif
#6 of 25 Old 12-03-2008, 11:27 PM

Taea

I like it!

Gallifreyan nerdfighter :, doting partner to the sasquatch , mama to the boss : (10/05) and the new little one (4/14/09). :: and hoping to :
#7 of 25 Old 12-03-2008, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
alt 130 makes that e with the accent. Unfortunately doesn't work on my laptop though. I'd probably go with Tea, but if you don't want that, I vote for Teya too. I guess you could also go with Teija, or something along those lines. No matter how you spell it though, your daughter is going to have to spell it out for people pretty regularly! It's a neat name though.

For greater things are yet to come...

#8 of 25 Old 12-03-2008, 11:42 PM

I like Taea

very pretty
#9 of 25 Old 12-03-2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noralou View Post
Teya
I love the name!

I like this. I wouldn't do Tea. She will be tea like the drink forever. It will just make it easier for kids to pick on her.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#10 of 25 Old 12-03-2008, 11:48 PM

taya is the least likely to be mispronounced way to spell it, but i think tea is prettier
#11 of 25 Old 12-03-2008, 11:49 PM

I knew a Thea with your pronunciation. Lovely name.

I have a name that is difficult for Americans to pronounce as does my daughter. We correct people and move on. We both get a lot of ooohs and aaaahs over our names - people always say what beautiful names we have.
I wouldn't base my decision on others possibly having difficulty with pronunciation. I have heard people mispronounce simple names like Lisa.
#12 of 25 Old 12-03-2008, 11:51 PM
wbg

We had Teya on our list and LOVE the name!

wbg...constantly amazed by Z , cherishing I , inspired by P , adoring K and still getting butterflies when I wake up with B !
#13 of 25 Old 12-03-2008, 11:54 PM

I like the name, but I don't know how I'd spell it. I say, just spell it however you'd like, and who cares if other people can or can't spell it right off the bat. People misspell and mispronounce my perfectly common, phonetically-spelled last name *all the time* and I don't think there's much getting around misspellings. Heck, people misspell "Michael" often, but people keep on naming their kids that.

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
#14 of 25 Old 12-03-2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bremen View Post
taya is the least likely to be mispronounced way to spell it...
Maybe... but when I first read it, I thought it would be easy to mispronounce it "Ty-ah" like "Maya" (My-ah). Same with Taia.

I agree with the PP who said that regardless of how you spell it, she's going to have to correct a fair amount of people. I would be tempted to go with Tea, since there is already at least some precedent for that spelling of the name (not everyone has heard of Tea Leoni, but a decent amount of people have).

Another thought might be to name her Matea with the nickname Tea.

Good luck with whatever you decide !
#15 of 25 Old 12-04-2008, 12:07 AM

a friend of mine named her daughter that and spelled it Teyah. i think it's beautiful. she has 4 girls and the others are Mahayla, Ava, and Ryah.
#16 of 25 Old 12-04-2008, 12:16 AM

Our friends named their daughter Téa. It is a beautiful name. To be honest I wouldn't think of any other way to pronounce it, even without the accent.
#17 of 25 Old 12-04-2008, 01:36 AM

My friend spells her name Taiya.

Working, freshly graduated! mama.  Loving life with DHguitar.gif , DD 7/09energy.gif, and DS 06/11 babyboy.gif.

#18 of 25 Old 12-04-2008, 04:54 AM

I'd spell it phonetically - but I'm a highschool teacher and I see the looks on kids faces when you pronounce their name wrong. They HATE it.

I saw Tea and thought Tee-Ah until you reminded me of TayAh. I actually like the name Tia, lol and I like Taya too.

Mel - Loving mama and wife to the A team
From little things, big things grow
#19 of 25 Old 12-04-2008, 09:05 AM

Use the proper accent. Just my 2 cents. The one you want to use the acute accent or accent aigu. "Téa" is how it would be spelled so it could be pronounced correctly in French. Téa Leoni spells it with the accent aigu. I wouldn't worry to much about being able to include it. My husband is Gérard, it's not such a big deal when the proper accent can't be included. He does use it when he actually writes his name though. I wouldn't worry about the accent too much. I figure most people will say it correctly without too much trouble.
#20 of 25 Old 12-04-2008, 12:09 PM

My friend's daughter is Thea, pronounced Teyah.
#21 of 25 Old 12-04-2008, 12:17 PM

This is actually a greek mythology name, and its properly spelled Theia in English http://www.behindthename.com/name/theia though its from the same root word as Thea is and Thea is pronounced the same in some countries (though its usually Thee-uh here)

Since we usually pronounce Th now as a seperate sound from just T, I think it would be justified to drop the h if you don't want confusion with "Thay-uh" So I'd spell it Teia if you really don't want the accented Tea. I think Teya is another possible option that won't get mispronounced often (I think Taya and Taia will) but I think Teya looks more like a made up name than Thea, Tea, or Theia, Teia.

Personally if I were going to use it I'd go ahead with Theia and not worry about having to correct people's pronunciation, I'd rather have it connected with its original greek roots and meaning but I do understand if you want to make the pronunciation a little clearer, just don't go so far that your resulting name is some thing totally complicated and rootless, you know?

Its Tea leoni's middle name by the way and its probably an eastern european version of Thea.

I would not go with something complicated like Taiyah, it just takes the name so far from its roots and makes it seem like its just part of the trend that ends up spelling Madison as "Mahddycsin"
#22 of 25 Old 12-04-2008, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I like Teia - hadn't thought of that spelling. I do like Thea but our last name begins with "Th" as well (also pronounced as just "T" instead of "TH") - my first thought is that spelling goes oddly with our last name bc they are so close - but upon thinking about it, it almost makes the most sense since they both have the same pronunciation rule. Hmmm. More things to run by DH.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#23 of 25 Old 12-04-2008, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Love the name!

I know a Taya and a Thea, both pronounced like Tea (don't worry they're in their 20s and 30s, so it's not trendy).

My boys call my sister Tara, Auntie Teya.

I wonder if Teah would work?
#24 of 25 Old 12-04-2008, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa85 View Post
Honestly, with a name like that, she will constantly have to correct people. Even teachers, coworkers, neighbors - all people that will have regular contact with her on a regular bases, not just people you meet for the first time. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful name and if it has a special meaning to it or you just really like it, then I think that's what you should name it. But if one of your dealbreakers is others not being able to pronounce it, then I would pick something else.

I would probably go with Taeya for the most phonetic spelling, but expect a lot of Tay-ya's, with emphasis on the "ya" rather than just "a" like it's supposed to be.
Yep, I'm always preaching the same kind of thing. Stick with Taya for a correct pronunciation.
#25 of 25 Old 12-04-2008, 02:46 PM

I would just stick with Téa. A lot of the other suggestions could be mispronounced as Tia and Tya. I agree, she's gonna have people saying it wrong no matter how you spell it. I can't tell you how many times I've had my name mispronounced. I've gotten Erwin, Arwen, Irene, Ur-een.

Erin~ Mommy to 3 curly-headed children and expecting #4 in December. ***4***8***12**16***20***24***28***32***36***40**

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page