Maternity pillow suggestions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-18-2008, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm getting a maternity pillow for Christmas, but not sure which to pick. I think my ideal is the Dream Genii but can't figure out where to get it outside of the UK (we're in the States). Does anyone have suggestions on where to get one or a similar pillow or a maternity pillow completely different that you just loved?

TIA!
#2 of 13 Old 12-18-2008, 05:01 PM

I'm looking for a maternity pillow myself. What are some recommendations?
#3 of 13 Old 12-18-2008, 06:40 PM

I got one at the big chain supermarket we have over here (Carrefour) it cost about 15 euros and it's filled with little balls (like a bean bag) it's lasted through two pregnancies and it's brilliant. I've seen them for sale for 50- 100 euros in maternity shops and they don't look any better than the supermarket brand...

Mama to 2 gorgeous little boys 5 yrs and 2.5 yrs fencing.gif expecting another babyf.gif in November 2011!!

It's a stork-girl.gif !!! hearts.gif
Living with my amazing partner love.gif and 4 cat.gif

#4 of 13 Old 12-18-2008, 08:06 PM

I just use a regular body pillow - like $10 from Bed Bath & Beyond and I can scrunch it up however I want.

The Snoogle looks a lot like the Dream Genii, and is definitely available in the US. Never used it, though.

Or you could get this!

SAHM to DS Jan09, DD Mar11. lactivist.gifintactivist.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpguc.jpgwinner.jpggd.gifcaffix.gif

#5 of 13 Old 12-18-2008, 10:50 PM

I have this from my first pregnancy and it was wonderful -- but I warn you, it's big. It works fine in a king sized bed with me and my husband and a cat or two, but in a queen sized bed it'd be a snug fit. Anything smaller and it wouldn't work unless you're sleeping alone.

This pregnancy I've mainly used one regular body pillow (from Target or somewhere), and two small throw/travel pillows. But this pregnancy I'm also sleeping on a feather bed, which has made a huge difference, so I haven't needed the big huge pillow.

Anyway, here's the link -- you can see my review of it in the 5 star list:

http://www.amazon.com/Leachco-Back-B...ef=pd_ys_iyr14

Review:

http://www.amazon.com/review/product...By=addFiveStar

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#6 of 13 Old 12-19-2008, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Ahhh, thanks for your suggestions! I'm looking at the Snoogle and the All-Nighter by Leachco.

Oh, that boyfriend pillow made me laugh! We know someone who used to call that pillow that looks like a recliner in your bed her "husband".
#7 of 13 Old 12-19-2008, 02:54 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I had a snoogle last pregnancy, but I wasn't too impressed. If I used it the way its meant to be used, with myself all wrapped up in it, I would wake up all sweaty and uncomfortable from it. So I'd normally just ignore the shape and use it like a regular body pillow. I would usually have the snoogle on one side of me and a body pillow on the other side of me. back support and tummy support/something to prop my leg onto. The regular body pillow was much, much more helpful and comfortable! I got rid of the snoogle when we moved, and this time, I'm just using a regular body pillow. its super soft and kinda furry (lol), and was 13.99 at costco Its pretty stripey purple too.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#8 of 13 Old 12-19-2008, 12:31 PM

i wish i had bought this one sooner:

http://www.thecompanystore.com/paren...ts/3514/PB17X/

it's so much better than constantly flipping a pillow from side to side at night. add a regular pillow between the knees as needed and it's perfect.
#9 of 13 Old 12-19-2008, 05:18 PM

I used my "Comfort U Body Pillow" all the time when I was pregnant last time. More expensive than some of the other options, but it was well worth it when I finally started getting a decent nights sleep.
#10 of 13 Old 12-19-2008, 06:12 PM

I bought the snoogle and HATE it. BTW, if anyone wants to buy it, PM me. I have a pink cover for it that can be washed.

The Snoogle makes my back and neck hurt a lot. It has no support for the lower half of your legs. My webster-technique chiro says my knees need to be aligned and my ankles need to also be separated.

So I lay on my left side and use 2 pillows under my neck and 2 body pillows along my front. one of them under my belly, then continuing down. the other one starts over the other one right below my belly, then continues down to my ankles. I put a small pillow under that at the bottom too so my ankles are aligned. I shove a small pillow under my back also.

It looks like a gigantic barricade, but it's so comfortable! Every once inawhile in the night I'll cheat and throw off my covers and lay on my back for a half hour or so with my legs propped up. By the time I wake up cold it's time to turn back onto my side. If I want to lay on my right side, I just shove my top leg over my partner's legs to cuddle him.
#11 of 13 Old 12-20-2008, 12:45 AM

I used a regular body pillow in my last pregnancy. This time, I started using my breastfeeding pillow and loooove it! The only annoying this is flipping it over when I flip over!
#12 of 13 Old 12-20-2008, 02:27 AM

I too used and use a regular body pillow. I think I bought mine for $10 when pregnant with my first child.
#13 of 13 Old 12-20-2008, 02:28 AM

DP got me this one for Christmas:

http://www.amazon.com/Todays-Mom-Comfort-Pregnancy-Pillow/dp/B001A0K43M
(they have several listings for it, so if it is out of stock on this link, just do a search)

It is THE BEST thing in the world. I love it. It is so fluffy and soft and comfy, there are so many ways to use it, ample coverage on both sides, it is just the greatest. I have insomnia and let me tell you how much this pillow helps, pregnant or not.

Not much room for him in the bed now though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page