How accurate are 12 week ultrasounds at determining the sex? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-26-2008, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When we had our 12 week ultrasound the tech said he was pretty sure we were having a girl because of the way the babys pelvis was tilted. We would love another girl, but was kinda hoping for a boy. Should we still hold out hope that it's a boy at our 20 week ultrasound? Thanks!
#2 of 10 Old 12-26-2008, 06:51 PM

You can go to in-gender.com and check out the ultrasound predictions. 12 weeks can be an optimal time if you can get a good enough shot of the "nub." Both males and females have the nub. My tech told me that we were having a boy at the 12week ultrasound and sure enough....he's a boy. Do you have a good full body side profile? Post it on In-gender and let the ladies guess for you. It's fun.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#3 of 10 Old 12-26-2008, 09:06 PM

if youve got a good machine and the exact right position and a great tech its definitely possible to get a pretty acccurate guess, especially if its 3d or 4d. good luck!
#4 of 10 Old 12-27-2008, 12:09 AM

I had an NT Scan at 12w5d and got some good pics of the "nub", it's either horizontal or vertical at that age I think. Mine were perfect horizontals and my Dr predicted girl for me, and a friend posted my pics on ingender and they all said girl too. I go for my 20w u/s next month so we'll see!!

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#5 of 10 Old 12-27-2008, 01:00 AM
2xy

Sorry, I don't buy it.

I've worked in obstetrics as an ultrasound tech, and the tilt of the pelvis has nothing to do with gender in a 12 week embryo. That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard, TBH.

Also, the "nub" of which you speak can turn into a penis or a clitoris. They look the same in the first trimester, and even up until 15-16 weeks.

Sure, an ultrasound tech might predict a certain gender and be right. It's a 50/50 chance. Good chance they might be right even if they never saw the genitalia at all.
#6 of 10 Old 12-27-2008, 09:17 PM

We were told that one of our twins was "probably a girl" at our 18wk u/s, 22wk u/s and just plain out a girl at a 24wk u/s. He's a boy The first u/s with the better machine at the peri's office and the tech laughed and showed us his penis and said "boy" when we asked.

fwiw the tech didn't get a clear shot in the earlier u/s but still I wouldn't trust a 12wk u/s Heck I wouldn't trust any u/s without a very clear shot of the genitles

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#7 of 10 Old 12-27-2008, 09:54 PM

12 weeks is way too early to tell, I wouldn't put too much faith in the tech's prediction at this point. You can get a better idea at the 20 week scan if you have one.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#8 of 10 Old 12-27-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
12 weeks is way too early to tell, I wouldn't put too much faith in the tech's prediction at this point. You can get a better idea at the 20 week scan if you have one.
This.
#9 of 10 Old 12-27-2008, 10:02 PM

I was totally hoping to find out the sex at my NT scan last week (12.5 weeks) - because I had read that it is possible, but the tech wouldn't even venture a guess. She said it was to early to be accurate.

Loving my DH and my two active little girls (9/06), (6/09). Anticipating a new bundle of joy (7/11).
#10 of 10 Old 12-27-2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
I also agree with this. I've only known 1 person who even had a tech willing to take a shot of trying to find out the sex that early & a few weeks later they found out the 12 week guess was incorrect.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page