Using an elastic bandage for belly support? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-26-2008, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm finding I need some belly support this pregnancy, but I'm not spending $40/$50 for something that I'm going to use for less than 2 months. Anyone ever tried this; how'd it work? Any tips?

Thanks!

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2008, 10:33 PM

This one was fabulous for me first pregnancy:

http://www.amazon.com/Therapy-Best-B...ef=pd_ys_iyr15

It's $25.

I'm carrying too low to wear it comfortably this time, so I got one from Motherhood Maternity:

http://www.motherhood.com/Product.as...Category_Id=40

It's $18.

I would not use a regular elastic bandage because it will not be wide enough to ensure there's no cutting off blood flow I think, and still have it be snug enough to provide support/lift.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
Old 12-26-2008, 11:53 PM

That's exactly what I thought when I was 35w and miserable and wanted to buy a belly support. So I bought a cheaper one, like the second one in the PP.
Yeah, I was still miserable. lol. My belly was so big and so far out that it didn't really do all that much.
I have no idea if a better one would have helped more, but I'll tell ya what- it would have been worth $100 if it had been even an eensy teensy bit better!!!!

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

Old 12-27-2008, 12:17 AM

Yep -- if it were physically possible for me to wear the first one I linked, I absolutely would (and it was worth far more than I paid for it, in terms of helping my back/sciatica last pregnancy). The second one was cheap and doesn't do a lot, but it's better than nothing. And safer/easier than an ace bandage for sure.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
Old 12-27-2008, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Even the Motherhood one is $30 here, actually. Guess I'll see if Goodwill has any. No one on freecycle seemed to.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Old 12-28-2008, 01:38 AM

My hubby picked one up in our local motherhood maternity store for $20 - it definitely helps both support my belly and take the pressure off of my lower back. Even if I only wear it for 2 months, it was worth the money!
Old 12-28-2008, 01:43 AM

I absolutely love http://bellybra.com/ they are pricy, but worth it, I feel, I suppose it depends what problems you have that make you feel you need some extra support, for me it was pain in the symphysis pubis and I tried loads of different ones and they all seemed to make things worse, the bellybra seemed to lift things up and spread the weight around bits of my body that could take some extra strain rather than constricting my already complaining pelvis.

Anne, Christian mummy to Nathanael 05/28/03, Ada 06/10/05, Grace 05/24/09

User Tag List