I need a list of protein sources - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-30-2008, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OK, I need help formulating a list of vegan, non-soy (non fake-food) protein sources that I can eat to my little hearts content, without fear of gaining 100 pounds, or raising my cholesterol to 300, or any other bad side effect of things like...Burgers and ice cream.

Here's my list so far:

nut butters
raw nuts
hummus
beans

Please help me (I'm also trying to stay off wheat, so "whole wheat this or that" isn't going on my list

thanks
Sarah

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2008, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was shopping last night and was actually suprised at how little protien was listed (per serving) on a popular name brand hummus
Old 12-30-2008, 03:42 PM

Can you do fermented soy? Miso soup had protein and I love tempeh bacon. They sell it by the tempeh and it makes the most amazing TLT sandwich. Nothing fake about it, just traditional tempeh smoked a bit I think.

Quinoa has a lot of protein for a grain. I make Quinoa and then stir into it black beans with some cilantro, lime and scallions. It makes a great cold salad too, to just snack on.

You can make pate from various beans, and then spread them on crackers or bread. Spelt bread has good protein, are you gluten free or wheat free?

You can also do hemp protein shakes. I have to do this as the pregnancy goes on. I eat cheese to I get some extra protein there, but not enough. Hemp protein shakes with some almond milk and berries save me. If you can stomach the taste, hemp milk has a lot of protein per serving. My 2rd old loves it, me not so much.

You should post in the vege living forum. They will have some great ideas.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:11 PM

seed butters
quinoa

Found this: http://www.naturodoc.com/library/nutrition/protein.htm

Honestly I wouldn't worry about weight gain or cholesterol. I don't buy lipid theory for a second anyway, and babies really NEED cholesterol. Worry about food choices and getting enough protein and that will be plenty!

I totally hear you on no soy. I wound up leaving vegetarianism (I was raised that way from birth) because I honestly felt like I couldn't get enough protein without it. Props to you if you can!

Vanessa - aspiring Traditional Foods momma of Graham & Margot
Old 12-30-2008, 04:50 PM

Seitan and Algae. we call them spyro-gyro smoothies, they are blue-green algea and whatever else makes it into the blender.

Seitan is a wheat product, I don't know for what reason you are off wheat, but you could take a look at it.

honestly, most people (even veg*ans) get ample protein. Preggo women need 60 grams, so if you eat a 1/2 c of fava beans you have 22 grams, then a cup of lentils thats another 20 and oatmeal with almonds and peanutbutter, there's your 60

here's a fun site I referenced in school when we did different cultural diets
http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

Old 12-30-2008, 06:32 PM

Some of my favorites are hemp seeds (the seeds, not the protein powder) in a chocolate/banana shake, tahini sweetened w/a little agave on apples, lentils (soups, sloppy joes) and split pea soup. I went through a huge peanut butter toast phase (on sprouted wheat bread 2 pieces has around 16 grams protein). I love quinoa with avocado. Brown rice also has protein. You can also make nut milks (almond milk, etc) or seed and nut bars. But really every fruit and veggie has some protein in it - it adds up as long as you aren't eating junk food. And greens are our most readily absorbable source of amino acids - so make sure to get lots of dark leafy greens (assuming you are past the 1st trimester and can stomach then - most women can't during the first tri). Oh and I almost forgot - I found some yummy veggie burgers called sunshine burgers that have no soy in them.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Old 12-30-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
Seitan and Algae. we call them spyro-gyro smoothies, they are blue-green algea and whatever else makes it into the blender.

Seitan is a wheat product, I don't know for what reason you are off wheat, but you could take a look at it.

honestly, most people (even veg*ans) get ample protein. Preggo women need 60 grams, so if you eat a 1/2 c of fava beans you have 22 grams, then a cup of lentils thats another 20 and oatmeal with almonds and peanutbutter, there's your 60

here's a fun site I referenced in school when we did different cultural diets
http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm
The range I read most frequently is 80-100g per day, with 100 being optimal. 60 seems low.

I also should mention though, if there are allergies in the family as there are mine, precautionary avoidance of nuts makes it really hard to be vegan/vegetarian and pregnant for sure. If that's not an issue I think things simplify immensely.

Vanessa - aspiring Traditional Foods momma of Graham & Margot
Old 12-30-2008, 07:37 PM

slightly OT: i get tired of the way quinoa tastes, so one of my new favorite ways to prepare it is to cut new potatoes into bite sized pieces, add a few cloves of peeled garlic and water to cover in a pot. when it comes to a boil, add about 1/2 c.or so of quinoa per lb of potatoes and boil for 5 min. drain and pour onto a cookie sheet, add olive oil, salt and pepper and stir up. roast at 375 until the potatoes are getting golden and toasty. you can add diced onions and/or peppers toward the end of the cooking time. it's really yummy and doesn't have that gummy/bitter flavor my regular quinoa gets no matter how well i rinse it!
Old 12-30-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennert View Post
slightly OT: i get tired of the way quinoa tastes, so one of my new favorite ways to prepare it is to cut new potatoes into bite sized pieces, add a few cloves of peeled garlic and water to cover in a pot. when it comes to a boil, add about 1/2 c.or so of quinoa per lb of potatoes and boil for 5 min. drain and pour onto a cookie sheet, add olive oil, salt and pepper and stir up. roast at 375 until the potatoes are getting golden and toasty. you can add diced onions and/or peppers toward the end of the cooking time. it's really yummy and doesn't have that gummy/bitter flavor my regular quinoa gets no matter how well i rinse it!
Have you tried to toast the rinsed Quinoa before you put water in the pot? Like for a couple of minutes stirring constantly until is smells toasted and gets a bit more golden? This makes it a nutty taste instead.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwavemomma View Post
The range I read most frequently is 80-100g per day, with 100 being optimal. 60 seems low.

I also should mention though, if there are allergies in the family as there are mine, precautionary avoidance of nuts makes it really hard to be vegan/vegetarian and pregnant for sure. If that's not an issue I think things simplify immensely.
my midwife said 90, it feels impossible at this point.

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif
Old 12-31-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwavemomma View Post

That very well could be, I just did a quick google search for the number! I thought 60 seemed low.

I couldn't imagine having food allergies, I'm just lactose intolerant which is pretty common and only limits my intake of one food.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

Old 12-31-2008, 01:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I second the Quinoa. Edamame. They also have brown rice protein powder that you can add to smoothies. If you like Quorn products, they have quite a bit of protein too and are vegan. I'm a vegan too, and I've gone through my pregnancy without worrying about protein intake. I didn't count my grams of protein a single day. I'm 38 weeks along and baby's doing fabulous. Have you read the book 80/10/10 by Dr. Douglas Graham?
Old 12-31-2008, 04:24 AM

I had this problem when I was pregnant with my daughter. I needed to up my protein but I threw up at the thought of most protein sources (except almonds, I ate alot of almonds). I found this stuff and it was great. It doesn't even taste bad and I got to actually liking the taste after a while.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SW116...l?n=4294967185

It's all from yellow peas, so there's no soy and no whey. Hope that helps.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone--great ideas!

Does anyone know if there's more protein in an equal amount of quinoa to brown rice?

ps--I'm not doing wheat because it makes me feel sluggish and gives me headaches, but I'm not technically allergic to it.

Sarah

Old 12-31-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoady View Post
Does anyone know if there's more protein in an equal amount of quinoa to brown rice?
Quinoa has 9 grams per cup and Brown Rice has 5 grams per cup.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:46 PM

Protein Complimentarity is something you might consider. I know it is somewhat controversial, but it makes a lot of sense to me. The theory is basically that the protein you get from meat for example, has all the essential amino acids. The protein from grains, dairy, etc. do not. So you should eat a variety of vegetarian protein sources to get all the amino acids. There is info online and in the book Super Baby Food with specific combinations - beans and rice, nuts and dairy, etc. I think I personally feel better if I combine them in the same meals, but I think in the same day should be very sufficient.

What about eggs? I know they are high in cholesterol, but they are really healthy for pregnancy, placental health and baby!

As for the wheat, have you considered making soaked grain bread or trying sprouted grain breads? To soak your grains, the easiest way I know is to combine 1TBSP lemon juice and water to make 1 cup of water in your recipe. Mix this with your flour, let it soak overnight, then add your other ingredients and make bread. This makes the bread more digestible, deals with the phytate issue, and often helps people with wheat intolerances.

Good luck!
Old 12-31-2008, 05:19 PM

Hemp milk is an option if you want a higher protein non-soy milk.
If you can do spelt, spelt is higher protein than wheat anyway
Like other people said, quinoa is very good protein wise, and you can make a nice pilaf or something to cover up the taste

Lentils are REALLY good protein-wise.

Oats are pretty good as grains go. I found (after calculating my proteins) that homemade granola (oats, pumpkin seeds, pecans) and goat milk (sorry, non vegan) was the highest protein of my breakfasts.

You might try something like coconut milk yogurt too.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:17 PM

Coconut milk yogurt is yummy but unfortunately only has 1 or 2 grams of protein.

Steel cut oats with some nuts and fruit is another breakfast option.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Old 01-01-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelika13 View Post
Have you tried to toast the rinsed Quinoa before you put water in the pot? Like for a couple of minutes stirring constantly until is smells toasted and gets a bit more golden? This makes it a nutty taste instead.
i have tried that but i may not be toasting it long enough. also, i'm going to re-trial the quinoa when i'm not pregnant! my taste buds get soooo out of whack. my whole family says i can taste things that aren't there when i'm not pregnant and it's just gotten worse each time i've been pregnant!
Old 01-01-2009, 08:31 PM

A previous poster mentioned amino acids, it is very important to get the complete range of amino acids that you would get from meat, you should look into an amino acid replacement. They are important for all functions of your body and if you are deficient can lead to PPD. There are places online that will make mixes for your special needs.

We create our own reality.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:38 PM
kkd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoady View Post

Here's my list so far:

nut butters
raw nuts

Sarah
I just searched protein sources on the forum, because I feel like I need to start keeping track/being aware that I'm getting enough, and I'm not sure how to accomplish that. I'm a vegetarian, and have avoided peanut butter since becoming pregnant. But - now I've read that consuming nuts daily increases your child's chance of developing asthma by 50%- so I'm thinking I should not have nuts daily. Sigh. I like the post emphasizing complimentary amino sources - I do that already and don't probably mentally take "credit" for it as protein. Just had some beans + rice last night in a burrito and it was yummy! Just wanted to mention the nut/asthma thing for consideration- I'm going to look on the web and see if there is a "safe" level of nuts to consume - maybe just 2 servings a week or something to get the benefits of the good fat/protein without the asthma risk?
Old 01-18-2009, 02:42 PM
Banned

Seitan!!! It's a lifesaver for me. An excellent meat replacement, lots of protien, and I keep it down more often than not.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
Seitan!!! It's a lifesaver for me. An excellent meat replacement, lots of protien, and I keep it down more often than not.

Seitan is wheat gluten, which is really hard for some people to digest. I am pretty sure the OP was gluten free.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelika13 View Post
Seitan is wheat gluten, which is really hard for some people to digest. I am pretty sure the OP was gluten free.
I know what seitan is. I make it all the time. I didn't realize that the OP was gf or I wouldn't have suggested it.

It's one of the few things I can keep down and I have a mild case of HG.

ETA: I am also not the only person who suggested it. The OP said in the last line (I didn't see it before) that she was "trying to stay away" from wheat but not that she is gluten free completely.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:31 PM

I love love love "snap pea crisps". They taste like cheetos but are made out of peas. And if a pregnant mama happened to eat the whole bag by herself on the way home from the health food store, she would have 15g of protein!

yum!!
Old 01-18-2009, 05:10 PM

Nutritional Yeast has 8 grams per Tablespoon, plus B-vitamins including B12! It's awesome!

I sprinkle it on pasta, potatoes, make "cheese sauce" with it, sprinkle on popcorn, make into a salad dressing.. there are lots of ways to use it!

For a few of my college classes, we were required to make a diet journal and calculate all the protein, carbs, calories, vitamins, etc in our diet. As a vegan I EASILY got 70-100 grams of protein a day, without being PG at the time.

ETA: I just thought of a meal that I make that is super protein packed... it's a creamy pesto sauce (that you can use on wheat free noodles or potatoes or as a dip), I blend silken tofu, walnuts, basil, lemon juice, garlic and salt and pepper. Both the tofu and walnuts add a ton of protein to the meal, mixed with noodles you have even more, and top with nutritional yeast and ground nuts that is LOTS of protein in one meal.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Old 01-18-2009, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi there!

I'm vegan and REALLY struggling with protein as I have major aversions to all protein sources, it seems, and every time I eat something I almost immediately vomit it up. Not good times. I EVEN, in desperation, ate some dairy produce in the hope that I could find something... Alas, no.

Last night I decided to see if I could find some decent protein-shake type stuff that I could at least drink, and hopefully keep down. If you're struggling to get enough some shake or smoothie might help. I bought some hemp protein powder, which is really really delicious (it also contains a great profile of amino acids and has 12 grams of fiber per 80 cals serving). I combined it with almond milk and a banana. I also bought Amazing Meal (by Amazing Grass... I think this product is only made for Whole Foods) and made it with apple juice. It's pretty good and very nutrient dense (the protein they use is again hemp).

I've also tried rice protein powder... which is fine, but not the tastiest. Ever so often I'll use soy powder.

I have read in several books that our protein needs go from 60grams to 71grams.
Zubee

mama to DS 7/09 and DS 10/12 and married to DH
Old 01-18-2009, 11:33 PM
Banned

I was thinking of trying some protien powder too. I figure, even if I lose it, it's not that bad coming up.

Thanks for the tip on the brand! I go to WF all the time so I'll pick some up.

User Tag List