Wow. You guys have scared the crap out of me. My il's live on 5 acres outside their town and they have mice BAD. We hear them in the walls constantly. I saw one in the trash can one night just last week.
Mil was a hoarder. She died recently and I've unofficially been in charge of cleaning up.
The mouse problem is horrifying. I am not kidding when I tell you these things:
1) mouse droppings on surfaces above the floor (counters, hutch, shelves, clothes hanging in closet)
2) over a weekend visit during summer, mil caught a mouse on that weird paper gluey stuff on the KITCHEN COUNTER
3) holes in boxes & bags
4) droppings in boxes, bags, containers, plastic sandwich bags in the pantry
5) nests in boxes, bags, containers (empty nests when we went through them)
6) large holes in floorboards (1970 trailer)
7) holes in ceilings
8) droppings on pantry shelves
9) FRESH droppings one morning in the bathroom (I picked something up and touched it)
My baby is 14 mos old. He came to me on more than one occasion w/ mouse crap on his hand.
I have lived in the country. I have no problem accepting mice.
I have a BIG problem when the mice are outnumbering the ppl and when the 47 cats outside aren't killing off MORE mice. (Realistically, about 10 cats, most sickly in some way.)
I am going to talk to fil about an exterminator. At least that might make a dent in the amount of mice that are obviously co-existing in the place.