Sharp, quick, one-sided pain in early pregnancy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-04-2009, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am about 5 weeks pregnant (irregular cycles so can't say for sure).

For the past two days I've been having sharp, quick (a second or so), pains in my right lower abdominal area.

I do not have an ovary on my right side, so I think that would rule out an ovarian cyst and, I think, an ectopic. (Wouldn't an ectopic on my right side have to be caused by an egg released on that side and stuck in the right tube?)

Should I be concerned or can I consider it a "normal" occurrence? (I did not have this with my two children.)

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#2 of 12 Old 01-04-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny View Post
I am about 5 weeks pregnant (irregular cycles so can't say for sure).

For the past two days I've been having sharp, quick (a second or so), pains in my right lower abdominal area.

I do not have an ovary on my right side, so I think that would rule out an ovarian cyst and, I think, an ectopic. (Wouldn't an ectopic on my right side have to be caused by an egg released on that side and stuck in the right tube?)

Should I be concerned or can I consider it a "normal" occurrence? (I did not have this with my two children.)
it could be a lot of things. could just be stretching pains. I got then early and still do now at 25 weeks. It could be more... if it didn't get worse or just stopped I wouldn't worry. if it's ectopic you'd likely know soon b/c it's intensely painful I hear.

hope all is well!

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#3 of 12 Old 01-04-2009, 09:38 PM

Could be implantation? If you don't have an ovary on that side then no, there's no chance of an ectopic. But it could also just be growing pains. I get sharp pains in my abdomen all over early in pregnancy, just from the uterus starting to stretch a bit.

Or it could be gas.

But I'd guess it's implantation, since that typically happens about a week after conception, no?

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#4 of 12 Old 01-04-2009, 10:51 PM

I'm 9 weeks and I remember having that same thing a few times earlier in pregnancy and we're doing well so far

sarah

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif
#5 of 12 Old 01-04-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny View Post
I had similar pain at that time up until about 16 weeks on my left--where I have half an ovary. I attributed it to the scar tissue in there adjusting to my newly pregnant uterus, and it went away without issue. A benign cyst is another possibility...I wouldn't stress about it. Just talk to your care provider when you see them!

And BTW, CONGRATULATIONS!

#6 of 12 Old 01-05-2009, 02:49 AM

I get that too in early pregnancy... particularly when I sneeze, cough, or bend in a certain direction. Could it be ligament pain w/ your stretching uterus?
#7 of 12 Old 01-05-2009, 01:38 PM

Sounds like round ligament pain to me (which is totally normal)!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#8 of 12 Old 01-05-2009, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone! It seems to be gone today.

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#9 of 12 Old 01-05-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMidwife View Post
I get that too in early pregnancy... particularly when I sneeze, cough, or bend in a certain direction. Could it be ligament pain w/ your stretching uterus?
This is exactly what I get. Oddly it's usually the first symptom I have. I still get them and I'm 21 weeks. It REALLY hurts, but I know it's not anything serious. You'd think after 8 pregnancies all my ligaments would be plenty stretched, but I guess not.

Here's another odd thing: I also got these same pains from quick movements / sneezing for a few months in college. I had never been pregnant and was on the pill. Weird, huh?
#10 of 12 Old 01-05-2009, 09:21 PM

I had pains like that in my first pregnancy - that's how I found out I was pregnant! The pains had been going on for a while & bad enough for me to see a doctor (which I don't normally do quickly). Doc thought it was a hernia but did a pregnancy test just in case. I was floored! He's 3 now.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#11 of 12 Old 01-05-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMidwife View Post
:
i have the same thing in early pregnancy. was lying down a few minutes ago and sudden pulling feeling on left side. i usually have it for the first couple of months and then again later on. probably nothing to worry about!

s momsling.GIF - JW asl.gif writing geek.gif wifey to j aaman.gif  (11/03) and cd.gif  homeschool.gif  knit.gif sewmachine.gif read.gif mommy to s dreads.gif (10/04), l kewl.gif (8/08), j diaper.gif (8/09), and little s boc.gif (12/12)

#12 of 12 Old 01-05-2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexbeach View Post
Sounds like round ligament pain to me (which is totally normal)!
Agreed.

I got pains very early on...sometimes it was so strong I'd hit my knees trying to get off the couch!

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page