Zofran vs phenergan? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-07-2009, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in week 16 and still feeling considerable nausea. I've had an rx for phenergan but it seems to work only a little so I've not taken it often. Recently my nausea seems worse and I'm wondering if it's worth trying zofran? Does anyone have an opinion about it one way or another? Anyone try both and have a preference? My RE told me zofran is more expensive so I don't want to waste the money if there's not a decent chance of it helping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2009, 07:17 PM

Hi, I was prescribed phenergan yesterday. I'm 12 weeks and still really nauseous too. When I took it, about an hour and a half later, the nausea went away and I felt hungry, but it was the kind of pregnant-hunger where if you don't eat, you'll feel sick. Maybe if you feel it kicking in you should eat a little something. That's all the advice I can think of, I've never been on zofran. Hope this helps, and hope you feel better, I know how frustrating it is to feel like this!

Single Mom with a BF  stillheart.gif  Mommy to 2 girlsphotosmile2.gif blahblah.gif & 2 boys jog.gifsuperhero.gif nocirc.gif

wash.gif banghead.gif Using the Law of Attraction candle.gif om.gif Loving my Family  cat.gif 

Old 01-07-2009, 07:19 PM

Phenergan only made my ms worse. Zofran really worked! But they do run about $15 per pill...
Old 01-07-2009, 08:52 PM

Zofran's generic now! Yay! So shouldn't be too bad.

It worked wonderfully for me. Phenergan knocks me out and gives me restless legs, so I can plan on spending the afternoon in bed writhing around if I take it. Zofran just gave me a bit of constipation but totally worked on the nausea.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:54 PM

IMHO, Zofran is way less dangerous than Phenergan and cost should not be an issue when it comes to fetal safety.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:16 PM

Phenergan didn't work well for me. I thought maybe it was just me, but I took some recently when I was going through a nasty kidney stone and colon infection and it worked fine. My nausea was just that bad when I was taking it during pregnancy.

Zofran was much more effective for me.

I'm glad to hear it's generic now! That will be a lifesaver for lots of mamas.

Tracy, doula and Army wife and homeschooling mama to A and E
Old 01-07-2009, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Hum. Maybe I'll ask to try the zofran, but only a few pills. I honestly hope it works for me. I am so sick of being sick.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:34 PM

Zofran works well for me! And I have the generic, which is happy. $10 with my insurance for 12 pills. It finally helped me stop vomiting.

Kathy Soup
Loving wife to an amazing SAHD : Mommy to Aviendha 01/19/09
Old 01-07-2009, 09:56 PM

In my past pregnancies, phenergan only worked for a short while, and then stopped working. Plus, it makes you really sleepy. Last time I stopped taking Zofran, b/c the constipation (side effect) was REALLY, REALLY bad. This time, I am even doing worse than my other two pregnancies regarding the n/v. So, I asked for a zofran script again (thankfully, it is now offered in generic, the name brand stuff cost an arm and a leg), BUT I am also taking 2 colace tablets, plus miralax once a day to offset the constipation. I've been on the zofran now for almost 2 wks and while I am vomiting less, I still often feel nauseous. I don't think that zofran really completely takes away the icky feeling, BUT I think that if you are throwing up a lot, it will help you throw up less, which will help prevent you from becoming dehydrated. Also, have you tried unisom/b6? I take one unisom tablet (don't get the gel tablet, it is different) before bedtime and that seems to keep my nausea at bay overnight and then I take zofran close to lunch time. I may have to add another zofran though (you can take up to 32 mg a day, right now I am taking one 8mg pill), b/c by the late afternoon and early evening I feel really awful and usually end up throwing up anyway.

I hope you find something that works for you.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:41 PM

Zofran's constipation issues made it un-take-able for me. Plus my insurance would only pay for like 9 pills total, even in generic.

Phenergan worked fine but makes most people sleepy. Not so much me, but I'm an oddball and few pills make me sleepy.

I would definitely try the Phenergan first if you're needing a prescription med, because of cost and the constipation issues, especially if you need to be on iron. But that's just me.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
Old 01-08-2009, 12:05 AM

Zofran did not work at all for me. Phenergan made me so sleepy that I could only take it before bed. So I ate one meal a day and then went to sleep.

User Tag List