Fenugreek While Pregnant??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-08-2009, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I talked with my midwife yesterday about my rapidly dwindling milk supply, and after a terrible night of pretty much dry nursing, I need to do something about it ~ fast She actually suggested fenugreek, but I was pretty sure (and everything I've read has confirmed) that it's not good to take during pregnancy. Anyone with advice on this? I plan on getting some "More Milk Two" and some "Mother's Milk Tea" so hopefully those will do the trick...

Sarah, loving wife to Michael (9/6/03), SAHM to my big girl Maya "Monkey" Grace (10/5/07) and my baby girl Charlotte "Bugsy" Mae (7/2/09) : :
#2 of 5 Old 01-08-2009, 01:41 PM

Yeah, it's contraindicated for pgcy from everything I've read. Nettle is o.k., alfalfa, and oat straw are o.k. too.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#3 of 5 Old 01-08-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haren.13 View Post
I talked with my midwife yesterday about my rapidly dwindling milk supply, and after a terrible night of pretty much dry nursing, I need to do something about it ~ fast She actually suggested fenugreek, but I was pretty sure (and everything I've read has confirmed) that it's not good to take during pregnancy. Anyone with advice on this? I plan on getting some "More Milk Two" and some "Mother's Milk Tea" so hopefully those will do the trick...
Just FYI, the "Mother's Milk Tea" contains fenugreek. My friend swore by oatmeal to increase her supply.... Can you consult with a licensed herbalist?
#4 of 5 Old 01-08-2009, 03:27 PM

I have been drinking fennel seed tea regularly and I am 23 weeks' pregnant. I am pretty sure that fennel also increases milk supply. I haven't had any side effects from it at all so far in the pregnancy (knock on wood).

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif
#5 of 5 Old 01-08-2009, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info ~ I didn't realize that the Mother's Milk tea had fenugreek (thought it was just fennel and anise), so I'll stay away from that for the time being I really can't stand the taste of fennel or anise, anyway, so maybe it's a good thing! I will try oatmeal, along with the More Milk Two (which I've used in the past so hopefully it will help! ). I'll look into the fennel seed tea if the other two don't do the trick (though I'm pretty sure I'll have to drink it with my nose plugged! Or just mix it with lots and lots of lemonade ).

Sarah, loving wife to Michael (9/6/03), SAHM to my big girl Maya "Monkey" Grace (10/5/07) and my baby girl Charlotte "Bugsy" Mae (7/2/09) : :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page