I just want to quit my job, now that I'm pregnant. Talk me down. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-13-2009, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Warning- whining ahead.

I was kinda burning out in my current position (ICU nurse) and was considering changing to a new position. Also, in the last 6 months a bunch of pesky auto-immune d/o kept popping up in me, so not only am I very hearing impaired now and my thyroid gland doesn't work, but I'm usually feeling pretty fatigued, too.

Then, boom, I'm pregnant. I feel absolutely horrible. You know, all the normal first trimester stuff, along w/my pre-existing "crappy" feeling, but I'm barely making it through my 12 hr shifts. I work 2 overnight shifts a week. I've tried day shifts, and it was even worse. And, now I'm sick w/some upper resp infection thing. My husband is also a nurse, but he does travel nursing, so he's going to be gone until at least April. (It was a drive-by impregnating! LOL ) So, this also means that I'm responsible for everything at home- my DS, the dogs, chores, paying bills, car upkeep, etc. You name it.

I just want to walk in Thurs night and quit. This is a dumb idea. I do love what I do. I carry our health insurance. While we can certainly live off of my husbands income, if I work that gives us a big savings cushion we can use. And I think I'll feel better when the 2nd trimester starts; at least I did when I was pregnant before. So, I just need to stick it out. We've already agreed that I would not work my 3rd trimester and through the baby's first year, at least.

So many people don't have jobs, and I feel horrible complaining about wanting to leave mine. But I'm in absolute tears thinking about working Thurs and Fri nights.

If anyone got this far, thanks a million. I just need to get this out, I feel like a total tool for wanting to just quit. Sigh.

Mom, wife, full-time student.  And tired.  DH, DS#1 (9/99) and DS#2 (9/09), and 2 dogs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2009, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I hope you feel better soon. Congratulations on your pregnancy. Can you consider all of the possibilities available to you? Can you take FMLA until the end of the first trimester?
Old 01-13-2009, 10:15 AM

I'm happy with your preganancy- congratulations! I hope you are okay now. I just don't like the idea of you getting stressed on your first trimester. Howabout talking with your boss for your thurs and fri nights...

Best regards!
Old 01-13-2009, 11:33 AM

Can you find another job? I know most places don't like to hire preg women, but where could you transfer? I'd imagine working in ICU is probably contributing to all the sicknesses you keep getting I understand the desire to quit. Mine has less to do with overall fatigue and more to do with not getting enough cooperation w/ current babysitters to go work and if I had to hire someone it would basically defeat the purpose of me working. My company just sold so I know my job will be going away soon anyway, I just am trying to stick it out till it does.

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

Old 01-13-2009, 11:45 AM

can u afford to quit? I am in the med field too and worked through the 1st trimester very sick. I don't think I gave the patients the best care or my baby. I would be getting IV fluids just to stay at work. Crazy. Nurses are always being hired - if you have tenure - could you be given a different job for now? Reviewing charts? Scheduling? I don't know. Just some thoughts. But, I know exactly how you feel. I am at home full time now and with this one I am so thankful.

mary
Old 01-13-2009, 11:54 AM

I feel for you. I know how rough those 12's are on overnights are when you are in your first trimester. I have no idea how bad it would be to throw in an auto-immune disorder. What would your nurse manager say about either going to 8 hour shifts (probably screw up her whole schedule and tick her off and that would probably mess up your child care arrangements) or do just one 12 a week? Or would going less than 24 hours a week ruin your benefits? Any way to get them (benefits) through dh? I worked until the end of both of my pregnancies and it was rough at times. I am glad I stuck it out to have $ to stay home a year with each kid. (my check also went to savings) I think it would be hard to go back to work after having nearly 2 years off, if you stopped working now, and then took a year with the baby. Just my 2 cents. I am going to go back very soon, after a 14 month hiatus, and am very scared. I really hope you start feeling better once you hit that second trimester.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:22 PM

I'm right there with you! I'll be 14 weeks tomorrow and I'm just ready to quit. My husband travels as well, M-F every week so everything falls on my shoulders doing the week. I don't have to worry about 12 hour shifts (I'd die!), but I do work full time. I'm not sure how long I can handle juggling all of it. Some of the balls just have to fall eventually... the question is, which ones?

I have a couple complications with my pregnancy so it feels like my life has been taken over by doctors appointments. I'm constantly informing my employer that I need to leave early on this day and that day, and I'm stressing out hardcore over how much this pregnancy is effecting work. I'm so surprised how much work has fallen on my priority list. We can survive on my husband's income solely, but I just feel the pressure of responsiblity to work as long as I can.

I just feel like... *head desk*

A tired mommy to DD (7/09) and loving wife to DH (08/06)

User Tag List