My initial bloodwork- low in marker for folic acid- reassure me - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-15-2009, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A little background- I had a really horrible scare with my pg with DD, where quad screen came back abnormal (positive AFP) and then I had to wait for a level II u/s to check for neural tube defects- she was healthy- I had a placental bleed that was inconsequential.
I had my 10 w appt today and the NP let me know that my bloodwork (drawn at 8 weeks) came back and that the marker in my blood for folic acid came back low.
I was taking adequate amounts of folic acid before I concieved an up until about 6 weeks when severe M/S set in. Ever since then I have been lucky to get a vitamin to stay down/in me every 3 days. I'm feeling so guilty, anxious. Has this happened to anyone else (their bloodwork coming back low for markers for folate?) Can someone come up with some facts to reassure me? I am able to start taking vitamins again as of a few days ago. (I am 10 weeks and M/S is letting up) But I also know that taking extra folic acid on top of my vitamin now isn't going to help since the tube is already formed on the babe. I'm just really anxious.

Heidi , wife to my DH , mama to Hope Isobel (4/3/06), Molly Grace (7/31/09): , furbaby Callie :
#2 of 7 Old 01-16-2009, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone?

Heidi , wife to my DH , mama to Hope Isobel (4/3/06), Molly Grace (7/31/09): , furbaby Callie :
#3 of 7 Old 01-16-2009, 02:41 AM

I have no idea, but wanted to post to give you
I hope someone has some answers for you!

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#4 of 7 Old 01-16-2009, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I am not sure if this is true, but I am pretty sure that I read somewhere that taking folic acid PRIOR to pregnancy was most important... I don't know how it's stored in the body, but other B vitamins - like B12, for instance - is stored in great quantities and it takes a long time to become deficient... I am worried about the same thing because I, too, have been very sick. I'm not sure if I was even tested to check the status of it (I.m 14 weeks pregnant) but I'm holding on to the hope that PRIOR to pregnancy is what counts...

Take care,

Zubee

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#5 of 7 Old 01-16-2009, 11:10 AM

Folic Acid prior to pregnancy and during the 1st Trimester when the neural tube is formed. That is the important time.

If you have a prior history of a pregnancy with a neural tube defect then prescription strength dosage is the recommendation.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#6 of 7 Old 01-16-2009, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Well I just did some more research and found out that the Amoxicillin that I was on right after Christmas for a sinus infection (a 10 day course) does in fact deplete folate in the body so that explains it, since I had my blood drawn right at the end of the 10 day course. That was between 8 and 9 weeks of pregnancy. I'm hoping that it is just ME that was being deprived of the folic acid, and that baby already had what it needed. I think the NT is fully formed/closed around 6/7 weeks- is that correct?

#7 of 7 Old 01-16-2009, 12:14 PM

By 6-8 weeks the neural tube is formed.

Thats what I was told about my daughter. That her neural tube defect occured at about 8 weeks.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page