Unisom withdrawal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-18-2009, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm nearly 18 weeks now and unisom, 1/2 tab at night before bed, is the only thing that has helped my nausea at all. This past week I actually started to feel decent again, I was able to eat more than a bite here and there and my energy increased. So last night I didn't take the unisom. Today I feel just terrible. My appetite is gone, nausea is here full force, no energy, and headache. Could this be unisom withdrawal? Anyone experience such a thing? I'd like to stop taking it, but it's the only thing that makes me remotely functional. Maybe I'm just not ready yet? Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2009, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sounds like it could be withdrawal. My doctor put me on ambien while pregnant. When I tried to stop taking it at bedtime, I could not sleep and got so nauseated and sick until I gave in and started taking it again.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1970 View Post
Sounds like it could be withdrawal. My doctor put me on ambien while pregnant. When I tried to stop taking it at bedtime, I could not sleep and got so nauseated and sick until I gave in and started taking it again.
Hum, that's concerning.

I did sleep well last night though. I took 1/2 tab so I could eat dinner. I already feel much better. I'll try again tomorrow night to see how it goes.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:43 PM

It sounds to me like your nausea isn't quite gone yet and you still need the unisom. I take an entire pill before bedtime. I forgot to take it one night and was so sick the next day. It really helps my nausea at nighttime and during the morning. Then I take Zofran to try to get through the rest of the day.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:02 PM

It could be you are just not ready to go off it. I have to take it all 9 months. i stop the day I give birth with no withdrawal or other ill effects, bu if i try to stop during pregnancy, I still have serious hg.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your thoughts. This lingering nausea is new. I had HG with my first pregnancy but only for the first 14 weeks. This time the nausea is horrible with no vomiting. I'm still losing weight, but the unisom actually helps, whereas nothing did with the first pregnancy. Good to know it can be taken the entire pregnancy with no withdrawal when you stop.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

I'm just bumping to post an update. I asked the midwives at the birth center today about this possible unisom withdrawal. They all agreed that it's not likely and that if I still feel so lousy I still "need" the unisom. They said there is no danger taking it as long as it helps me feel well enough to function and eat the next day.

Hope this helps someone else
Old 01-20-2009, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My nausea was still very bad even through 20 weeks.

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
Old 01-20-2009, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
My nausea was still very bad even through 20 weeks.
At this point I'll be happy if it resolves after 20 weeks I have a sinking feeling it might linger the entire pregnancy. Just because. :
Old 01-20-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
At this point I'll be happy if it resolves after 20 weeks I have a sinking feeling it might linger the entire pregnancy. Just because. :
Well, if it makes you feel any better. I'm right there with you. This is my third pregnancy, I have nausea and vomiting for the entire pregnancy with each pregnancy. So far, it has been the most severe with this current pregnancy, to the point where I HAVE to take unisom and zofran (and honestly I should add another dose of zofran, but I am afraid of the constipation getting even worse) to even try to get through the day. I have no reason to believe that my nausea and vomiting will go away until the end of my pregnancy either, just b/c this seems to be what happens to my body when I get pg.

User Tag List