Benadryl and Unisom - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-22-2009, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I used Benadryl to help me with severe insomnia and anxiety in my last pg. Now the OB office is saying I shouldn't take it until after 14 weekds. My midwife said I can take either Unisom or Bendryl every day if needed started now (i'm 4 weeks). The pharmacist said Benadryl is a class B and Unisom is a class C. I am totally confused and wondering if anyone knows what has changed recently to give Benadryl the 14 week or later reccommendation.

Also do you know of a safe, natural, or homeopathic anxiety remedy. I am trying yoga, meditation, and visulaization and am in counseling but still suffer quite a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2009, 01:12 AM

My doctor insisted I take Benedryl to help me sleep...And that was from about 5 weeks on...

She did specify that it be the plain Benedryl..Not the Benedryl Cold, or anything..Just Benedryl. And only 1 of them per night.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:16 AM

As far as I am aware, Unisom, which is recommended for nausea is ok for the entire pregnancy. Of course, Unisom also makes you sleepy.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The active ingredient in Unisom (doxylamine?) has been used in an anti-nausea medication that has been used for decades in Canada for morning sickness - maybe your doctor is more comfortable with it for that reason.

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
Old 01-22-2009, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
As far as I am aware, Unisom, which is recommended for nausea is ok for the entire pregnancy. Of course, Unisom also makes you sleepy.
Unisom contains the antihistimine that was in Bendectin, a drug that was pulled from the market in the 1980s because of the rising number of lawsuits against the drug company that made it. The same drug company that manufactured Bendectin also made Thalidamide

I would think once, twice, three times before taking this drug. If a lot of women had babies that had birth defects and thought it was this drug, I do not think it was a mass hallucination. Even men who are trying to conceive a child with their wives have been told to stay away from this drug. The following link chronicles how a woman from Canada and another from Scotland were allowed to file suit in a federal court in Ohio against Merrill-Dow.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...54C0A960948260

Contact Betty Medecki of ABDC.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 01-22-2009, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
Unisom contains the antihistimine that was in Bendectin, a drug that was pulled from the market in the 1980s because of the rising number of lawsuits against the drug company that made it.

I would think once, twice, three times before taking this drug. If a lot of women had babies that had birth defects and thought it was this drug, I do not think it was a mass hallucination.

Contact Betty Medecki of ABDC.
I was told that that they determined that there was no higher incidence in birth defects in moms who took Unisom compared to those who did not use Unisom. Like another poster said, in Canada, they have a drug that is a combo of Unisom/B6 that is used for pregnancy related nausea.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:25 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Pyrodoxine hydrochloride, or B6, was in the original compound that made up Bendectin. Vitamin B6 alone will help alleviate B6 because it helps the body absorb and metabolize proteins.

My nephew was a lawyer for the drug company in Cincinnati, Ohio that manufactured Bendectin. He said there was quite a bit of time spent fighting those lawsuits and some unusual legal procedures as "trifurcation" of evidence. The pictures of the babies were shown without the faces and only the affected limbs were shown to dehumanize the child, was one manuever

As for it being used for decades in Canada, so were X-rays and DES which are no longer used on pregnant women. You would not recommend those for a pregnant woman, would you?

Yes, I know plenty of women who took Bendectin and had healthy babies. But I would not want to be the one who took the drug and had a baby with defects only to be told that there is no higher incidence of birth defects in moms who took this drug over those who did not. As an expectant mother, I would want, and have wanted in four pregnancies, to give my unborn child the very best chance at a healthy productive life as free of physical defects as possible.

In pregnancy, there is no "better living with chemistry".

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 01-22-2009, 02:49 AM

OK, thanks for that info. However, now I feel like crap, b/c you make it sound as if I am taking Unisom to put my child in danger. So, now I am wondering what I am supposed to do about my n/v? I have it for the entire pregnancy, if I increase my zofran, then it increases the amt of constipation issues I already struggle with. In fact, I believe that the constipation has caused my some prolapse issues. What am I supposed to do? I don't want to end up in the hospital dehydrated, b/c I can't stop throwing up. I feel like I am screwed.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:05 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Psshh...Mags, I hear ya. I took B6+Unisom for months, to get through my all-day nausea and vomiting. =O

I hope everything is all right.

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
Old 01-22-2009, 01:48 PM

Lilysmama--there are several safe herbal remedies for anxiety. I have heard that valerian is very helpful and that skullcap is also helpful. Hops and chamomile are also relaxing. (You should of course do some research your self and make sure you feel comfortable taking these).

Check out the book "Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year" by Susan Weed. I think she also has a website, although I've never looked at it.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I have heard so many different things about Unisom and Benadryl it is so confusing but I also know that the high levels of cortisone the baby is exposed to when I am not sleep and severely anxious isn't good either. Fortunately I found out that I can stay on Zoloft both my midwife and the OB agree on that. So far going back on the Zoloft has helped.

User Tag List