Seeing the dentist while still feeling nausea? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-26-2009, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I cancelled my dental appointment when I was newly pregnant because I had such a strong gag reflex. I also thought that my nausea would be gone by 14-16 weeks as it was last time I'm now 19 weeks and still feeling as much, if not more nausea than I was before. I certainly have less of an appetite. My gag reflex is also still very strong. I can barely brush my teeth well some days.

Normally I would not worry too much, as I have regular cleanings every 6 months. But my gums are quite sensitive and I am wondering about a possible cavity on one molar. It's painful if I eat something cold or sweet.

Any advice on how to get through a dental cleaning/check up with bad nausea? Even when I'm not pregnant it's difficult for me.
#2 of 8 Old 01-26-2009, 06:33 PM

: I have been wondering this as well.

{Partner to DH  and Former WOHM, now SAHM  to DD, DD , and DS } *** ***
#3 of 8 Old 01-27-2009, 02:21 PM

I told my dentist up front that I was still very queasy. They were extra careful not to do anything to set me off, until they put a tray in my mouth. I started coughing and gagging and nearly lost my breakfast. After that they let me hold the suction thing myself to avoid hitting sensitive areas. I ended up needing 4 fillings, so I'm glad I didn't postpone it more than I did. HTH!
#4 of 8 Old 01-27-2009, 02:25 PM
Banned

My question is, how did you manage to get the work done without x rays? I need some serious dental work but I figure they are going to need x rays and I'm still in the first trimester.
#5 of 8 Old 01-27-2009, 02:29 PM

I had to have a root canal at the height of my morning sickness. We paused periodically so I could throw-up. Really not ideal but it had to happen.

I still need some dental work done but I was advised by the dentist, the endontist, my gp, and my ob to wait to even get the exams done to figure out the extent of the work required until after the baby is born. Until then I'm just living with the discomfort. The only reason they did the root canal was because it was infected and the risk of infection spreading during the pregnancy was worse than the risk of the root canal.

If you do go in, I would tell them about the nausea and ask them to do as focused of an exam as possible. I wouldn't go for a full cleaning or anything like that.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#6 of 8 Old 01-27-2009, 02:42 PM

I have hg and I just had to power through. I had pregnancy gingivitis and the constant vomiting was taking a toll on my teeth so I had to do it.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#7 of 8 Old 01-27-2009, 04:01 PM

I went to the dentist when I was 9 weeks pg. I immediately told them (since they wanted to do x-rays and I wanted to explain why I hadn't been flossing the past month), and the hygenist was pretty quick. I also made sure the appointment was scheduled for a less nauseous time of day.

mama to DD (7), DS (3.5), and another DS arriving in August!

#8 of 8 Old 01-27-2009, 04:45 PM

Talula, have you been to the practice before? They will have old x-rays on file for you. They can also do a visual exam. I have never had a cavity show up on an x-ray that wasn't seen in a visual exam. If you have visible cavities, these can be filled. I waited until the second trimester to get my cavities filled, and the dentist used a numbing shot without epinephrine in it. I'd already been in pre-pregnancy and had the cavities diagnosed and got x-rays then, but I didn't have to get any further x-rays even though it had been months between my x-rays and the fillings. I also had a cleaning at around 25 weeks and had a visual exam done then, too. They were very okay with me not getting x-rays.

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page