Have to remove piercings when giving birth at a hospital??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 01-31-2009, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess I need to ask my CNM (Midwife) about this to clarify, but this just seems ridiculous to me. I was at Quizno's today getting a sandwich, and the lady behind the counter was asking when I was due, etc. She commented, "You'll have to take those (piercings) out when you go to the hospital, you know." I was all... She finished with, "You have to have them out for surgery", to which I replied, "I'm not having a c-section". She said "Well, all my friends had to take them out. I think you have to take them out in the hospital no matter what". :

Does this sound right to you? I guess I can see why they'd ask you to remove them if you are having a c-section, but for an unmedicated vaginal birth without even an IV? I will be pissed if I have to take out my piercings. I've got six earrings, and my nose and eyebrow pierced. The ears wouldn't close up (except for the cartilage ones) b/c I've had those for so long, but the others are only a couple of years old. : Is there any truth/rationality in what this lady told me? I know it's just some lady at Quizno's, but it has me freaking out now.

-
#2 of 48 Old 01-31-2009, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i have seven holes in my ears (i mean, in addition to the holes where the sound goes in), and i don't *think* anyone will say anything about really subtle studs. that's my hope, anyway. not because the holes will close, but just because i like having them in and i don't see how they'd get in the way of anything i'll be doing at the birth center.

edit: also, now i want a sandwich.

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
#3 of 48 Old 01-31-2009, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

LMAO @ the random sandwich comment!

Well, I don't have subtle studs, and I don't have any extras right now to put in in place of what I have. I've got small CBRs in all six ear holes, a small rhinestone in my nose, and a bar in my eyebrow.

-
#4 of 48 Old 01-31-2009, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I had both a vaginal birth and a C/S and I was not asked with either birth to remove any pf my jewelry - I wore my wedding rings and diamond studs into my C/S and never had a problem with anyone.
#5 of 48 Old 01-31-2009, 05:11 AM

Don't know if there's truth in what that lady said, but to me, it sounds like she's a nosy busy-body who doesn't know the difference between a C/S and a vaginal birth.

I'd ask the hospital, and if it is their policy to have things removed, see if there is a waiver you could sign to keep the piercings in (unless you have to have surgery). It really doesn't make much sense.

Enjoying the adventure of NFL with my partner-in-crime , DD 03.09 , , &
#6 of 48 Old 01-31-2009, 08:34 AM

Hmm not sure about piercings but when I went to my eye doctor, she mentioned that I would need to have a good pair of glasses because the hospital doesn't let you do a vaginal delivery with contacts on (b/c supposedly a c-section is *always* a possibility). Guess the same applies to piercings?

Mama to my cutie girlie luxlove.gif for 2 years and one on the way bouncy.gif (7/7/11)!
#7 of 48 Old 01-31-2009, 08:40 AM

My nose piercing stayed in through delivery with my dude. It is discreet though... I suppose they might have just missed it?
#8 of 48 Old 01-31-2009, 09:56 AM

I had to remove my piercings when I went in for DD. They were especially nervous about my tongue piercing because I guess it could get in the way if they needed to stick a tube down my throat in an emergency.

I did end up with a c/s with DD and my tongue closed up before I remembered to put my bar back in (2 days). My cartilage piercings stayed open and my regular ear ones stayed open as well.

Loving WAHM/Student Mommy to DD (6.5) and DS (2.5)  

#9 of 48 Old 01-31-2009, 09:59 AM

I didn't take mine out nor was I asked to.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#10 of 48 Old 01-31-2009, 10:17 AM

First C\S they didn't have time, second one yes (my last two kidlets were emergency c\s).
#11 of 48 Old 01-31-2009, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

The lady at Quiznos was really being nice and all, but you're right that she shouldn't be giving unsolicited advice related to my pregnancy/baby. She should have just kept it at, "When are you due?" and "What are you having?"

Anywho, sounds like there are a variety of scenarios that could happen. I'm just going to straight-up ask my midwife @ my appointment next week. I'd rather know ahead of time so I can be prepared, than have someone tell me while I'm in the middle of labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayakas View Post
Hmm not sure about piercings but when I went to my eye doctor, she mentioned that I would need to have a good pair of glasses because the hospital doesn't let you do a vaginal delivery with contacts on (b/c supposedly a c-section is *always* a possibility). Guess the same applies to piercings?
Wow. No contacts? Well I guess if I might have to go blind, then. Seriously. My vision without correction is 20/1200 or something ridiculous like that. I don't HAVE glasses. I can't afford to get an updated pair right now.

I guess the piercing I'm most concerned about is my eyebrow. The only time I've ever taken it out was for the interview at my current job. That was back in March of '08. I only had it out for about two hours, but it started to close quickly. After I put it back in, I had one of those horrible scar tissue bumps there for several months that just wouldn't go away until recently. I don't want to deal with that again. It looked horrible.

-
#12 of 48 Old 01-31-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayakas View Post
Hmm, I wore my contacts throughout my vaginal delivery; no one even asked. That said, I showed up at the hospital fully dilated and pushed her out an hour later, so there wasn't a whole lot of time for them to try to do too much of anything to me...

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#13 of 48 Old 01-31-2009, 10:33 AM

I don't know anyone who's been asked to take out their piercings while having a baby. Definitely take out the contacts, though. I'm legally blind without mine and I only sometimes have a working pair of glasses, but pushing can put a fair amount of pressure on your eyeballs and contacts are *not* comfy. If you have weighted contacts or the old-style hard ones, the edge could even cut in a little while pushing. I wore my glasses with my first labor, but forgot to take my contacts out the second time, and I felt the difference.
#14 of 48 Old 01-31-2009, 10:40 AM

It never occured to me to take out my piercings and no one asked.

I also wore my contacts during my long induced labor with my first. I didn't have glasses either and can't see a THING without. I wore my contacts for my waterbirth at home with my second, too.
#15 of 48 Old 01-31-2009, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama369 View Post
I don't know anyone who's been asked to take out their piercings while having a baby. Definitely take out the contacts, though. I'm legally blind without mine and I only sometimes have a working pair of glasses, but pushing can put a fair amount of pressure on your eyeballs and contacts are *not* comfy. If you have weighted contacts or the old-style hard ones, the edge could even cut in a little while pushing. I wore my glasses with my first labor, but forgot to take my contacts out the second time, and I felt the difference.
Unfortunately if I have to take out my contacts (and they are the soft kind), I won't be able to see ANYTHING unless it is about 12 inches in front of me. That means I won't be able to see my baby unless I am holding her, and won't be able to see anybody else's expressions or anything in the room. The only pair of glasses I have are over 5+ years old, and I still can't see crap with them, so why bother?

-
#16 of 48 Old 01-31-2009, 10:43 AM

I would wear your contacts. I wouldn't want to miss seeing my baby!
#17 of 48 Old 01-31-2009, 11:15 AM

i didn't take out my nose one and no one said anything.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#18 of 48 Old 01-31-2009, 01:58 PM

I was told that I would have to take my nose ring out by a nurse when I went to have my first daughter. When I said that was easier said then done she went on to tell me that if I had to get a c/s the nose ring would cause my nose to get severe burns yet didn't explain how. She was very abrasive and seemed annoyed with having to deal with this teenager with a piercing thinking she had a right to have a baby. Thankfully she was leaving and I got a new nurse who said that she had no idea what the first nurse was talking about. Didn't get a c/s but I did keep the piercing in.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#19 of 48 Old 01-31-2009, 02:01 PM

I have my hood pierced, and have never taken it out in 3 births.
#20 of 48 Old 01-31-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~gilli~ View Post
I have my hood pierced, and have never taken it out in 3 births.
:

I have my 6 holes in my ears, my nose pierced and a vertical clitoral hood piercing. I did not have to take out any piercings. I had asked my doctor about the VCHood one at about 36 weeks and she said that if it wasn't bothering me during pregnancy it would be fine during birth. It was fine- and I know that there was no overlooking that it was there by the nurses.

Unschooling Mommy of 3: Lilith (14), Panda (6), and Fox (4)
#21 of 48 Old 01-31-2009, 07:56 PM

**Saw this on new posts. Im not pregnant. **

DD1 was born in a hospital (transfer) and at the time I had my belly button ring in and 5 of my 7 ear ones. No one said anything. In fact they chatted me up about my tattoos and never even mentioned the earrings.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#22 of 48 Old 01-31-2009, 08:00 PM

I have always wondered about genital piercings and vaginal delivery. So the clitoral hood piercings aren't necessarily a problem, but what about labial piercings? I would think it is probably a good idea to remove them towards the end of pregnancy for colonization reasons, but if you don't would they be a tearing risk?
#23 of 48 Old 01-31-2009, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I wore my contacts through a long labor at home, (48 hours) a little more at the hospital several hours of pushing, through a c-section, and the entire hospital stay :X Geez, they had to have been in for like 5 days straight. Not that I recommend THAT! Just honestly, I forgot about them. No mention of it at the hospital. Didn't plan to go to the hospital so we didn't have the case/solution packed ahead of time, and when it was time to go we just threw a bunch of stuff together and ran. Luckily I didn't have any irritation from having them in so long and sleeping in them a few nights in a row. But I don't think they were an issue for labor or even the c/s. My vision is HORRIBLE without them. I really, really hate not being able to see. I would be so miserable and panicked without them.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#24 of 48 Old 01-31-2009, 11:35 PM

Most people in American hospitals end up with csects now. Also, even without the csects, you will need to be strapped down and have lots of monitors, IVs, and such on you. Because they like to do so much medical intervention and csects, they want you prepped for the csect pretty much when you come in. So yes....all body peircings from ear rings to belly button rings need to be taken out. Sorry.
#25 of 48 Old 01-31-2009, 11:42 PM

Haven't experienced having to take earrings out for a birth yet, but when my fallopian tube ruptured in October, they wanted me to take out all my piercings. I took out the 3 "normal" ear piercings on each side, but told them I wasn't able to take out my 2 cartilage piercings or my nose piercing. They said that was fine and they just covered them with tape. If they really put up a fuss about taking them all out, just ask for some tape and tape them up. I don't think they can really force you to take them out.

Erin , loving wife to Dave, mom to 3cat.gif, angel.gifangel.gifDec. '06, angel.gifOct. '08, DD Reagan Oct. 3, 2009

and DS Jack April 4,2012

#26 of 48 Old 01-31-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1970 View Post
Most people in American hospitals end up with csects now. Also, even without the csects, you will need to be strapped down and have lots of monitors, IVs, and such on you. Because they like to do so much medical intervention and csects, they want you prepped for the csect pretty much when you come in. So yes....all body peircings from ear rings to belly button rings need to be taken out. Sorry.
What percentage is "most"? I wasn't strapped down when I went to the hospital with DD1. And it sounds like plenty of people have left their piercings in. Hmm.

Danielle, fabric artist, mama to Eleanor 5/05 and Charlotte James 09-26-09
#27 of 48 Old 02-01-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1970 View Post
Though it varies by state, hospital, and physician, the US c-section rate for 2006 was 31.1% (I looked but couldn't find the stat for 2007 or 2008), which is still way too high, but not 50% or above, as "most" would imply.

That said, I agree that a lot of hospital policies in L&D are based on being prepared for an emergency c-section-- that's why a lot of hospitals don't want women eating during active labor.

I think the concern in surgery has to do with being "grounded" to minimize chances of burns occurring during cauterization and, god forbid, defibrillation (should the heart stop). Again, how "worried" each hospital is about this risk varies.
#28 of 48 Old 02-01-2009, 12:20 AM

the only piercing that has to come out is a tongue ring.... that's in case you have to go under general on an emergent basis for a c/s. I know sometimes they request that clit-type rings come out too, just so you don't tear.

(and I work on LDRP... sitting here now)
#29 of 48 Old 02-01-2009, 12:34 AM

I wore my nose ring for DS1's birth and my gauges for both. I was never asked to remove them and I never brought it up.

I don't see why anyone would be concerned with piercings on your head (except your mouth in case of an emergency) when you are giving birth from your vagina!! Even if you have a csections, again the baby wont come out of your head. :
#30 of 48 Old 02-01-2009, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischievium View Post
Though it varies by state, hospital, and physician, the US c-section rate for 2006 was 31.1% (I looked but couldn't find the stat for 2007 or 2008), which is still way too high, but not 50% or above, as "most" would imply.

That said, I agree that a lot of hospital policies in L&D are based on being prepared for an emergency c-section-- that's why a lot of hospitals don't want women eating during active labor.

I think the concern in surgery has to do with being "grounded" to minimize chances of burns occurring during cauterization and, god forbid, defibrillation (should the heart stop). Again, how "worried" each hospital is about this risk varies.

You are right, I am sorry. I was thinking of it as I posted that I was quoting using our local hospitals as my knowledge. I was shocked to not find a hospital near me with less than a 50% csect rate recently. In all my years of having children have I never seen it so bad. I was thinking as I went to click on submit that maybe it is different where she lives.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page