Test they perform on baby after birth - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 02-01-2009, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
( Im not sure what section to put this in..)

I am wondering what everyone is doing for the " standard" procedures taht they do after the baby is born and why you are or aren't doing it.

Eye ointment is the only one I can think of off the top of my head. Im plan on not getting that done because I know I dont have any infections or diseases " down there." I know I'm missing a ton..
#2 of 23 Old 02-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Banned

Eye goop - you've got that one figured out. If you don't have an STD it is not needed.

Vitamin K shot - increases blood clotting factor. Babies are "low" in vit K until about 8 days old (hence the jewish tradition of waiting for circumcision until 8 days old). Shot is a very high dose in my opinion and has been linked to childhood cancers. I won't be doing it because I don't feel that God made a "mistake" and forgot to put vit K in ALL BABIES. There must be a reason we don't know (so my decision is faith-based, but there are others).

Hearing Test - I want my pediatrician to do this so I will be declining. My only reason is this is the only time my birth center would take the baby out of my room and I don't want that. Also, I've heard you can get false positive so young and waiting a few weeks is better.

Routine Newborn Screening - I'm still not sure. I would say no just to spare my baby a heel prick but since I have Gestational Diabetes she'll get one anyways to check sugar levels. I hope some other ladies give you some advice.

Hep B vaccine - Not in a million years would I inject my 12 hour old infant with this vile thing. She isn't a drug user or a prostitute and won't be until at least 2 years old - I have rules. This vaccine causes juvenile diabetes, arthritis, and SIDS. This is the most irresponsible of the childhood vaccinations in my opinion. They are injecting it into people who are in no way the target population! ok, end rant!

That's all I can think of.
#3 of 23 Old 02-01-2009, 09:36 PM

I'm not doing any of them. I'm requesting oral K drops. I'm refusing the PKU(heel prick) because the blood is taken and stored in a national database. Which I don't agree with.

no goop, I have been tested for STDs
No vacs none of them do any good in my research.
I haven't heard of a hearing test but I will probably wait on that. They can do it at a well visit.

I think thats it.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#4 of 23 Old 02-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
I'm not doing any of them. I'm requesting oral K drops. I'm refusing the PKU(heel prick) because the blood is taken and stored in a national database. Which I don't agree with.
Ah, I forgot about that. Do they do that in all states? That is terrible. What are the compelling reasons in favor of PKU?

(sorry not trying to hijack but I'm interested too)
#5 of 23 Old 02-01-2009, 09:43 PM

I had a hospital birth (NEVER doing that again!) and did all the usual stuff (except eye goop, and they don't do hep b on newborns in my peds office). The only compelling reason I can think of for the PKU is that you'd want to know if your kid had it before they starting being exposed to phenylalanine. I don't know if it transfers through breastmilk, but you could just avoid it and wait on the PKU test, I've seen some research that shows the results are more reliable on an older baby. Newborn screening: debatable. I did it, but I'm a peds RN and I'm crazy paranoid after all that I've seen...maybe someone less crazy could share why this isn't necessary?

Wife to dh and mama to : dd (7/08) and ds (11/09)
#6 of 23 Old 02-01-2009, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We did Nothing at birth. At his 1 week appt. We did the heel prick - it tests for SO many things I felt it was worth it but was glad his entrance into the world wasn't greeted with pain.

PaigeC - I had gd. I breatfed asap & they ended up never testing his blood glucose because he never showed any signs of a problem. I would discuss options with your care provider.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#7 of 23 Old 02-01-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaigeC View Post
Ah, I forgot about that. Do they do that in all states? That is terrible. What are the compelling reasons in favor of PKU?

(sorry not trying to hijack but I'm interested too)
I'm pretty sure its all states, I think I remember bush doing it, which makes it federal.

the PKU tests for phenylketonuria a genetic disorder where you break your food down in to essentially poison. You really can't detect this until after the baby eats and has a chance to build up some of the poison in their blood stream, so its best that the test be preformed after some time not right after birth, plus 1 in 10,000 babies a year have this. A very very tiny number.

The compelling reason is that it is just a drop of blood, to identify a deadly syndrome.

If they didn't put the blood in a database, and if the problem was more common I would consider having it done.

Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#8 of 23 Old 02-01-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleysmama23 View Post
The only compelling reason I can think of for the PKU is that you'd want to know if your kid had it before they starting being exposed to phenylalanine.
I want to add something. It isn't in your milk or carried by your milk it IS your milk. They baby breaks down anything they eat into phenylalanine. It works better later because baby had started breaking down you milk and it has started to build up. NOTE that you milk usually doesn't come in for a few days, so you need to wait to get an accurate result

#9 of 23 Old 02-01-2009, 10:05 PM

They don't just for one disease when they do the PKU test, though. Most places test for anywhere from 20-50 different diseases. While all of them are rare, if your baby has one of them, it can mean life or death to find it early. With a lot of them, by the time the baby shows symptoms, it's already too late and at best they'll have severe problems.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#10 of 23 Old 02-01-2009, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to ask my ped. if he can do the hearing test at his one week in the office, Id much rather have that then in another room at the hospital.
#11 of 23 Old 02-01-2009, 10:45 PM

I think the PP got all the routine tests mentioned. Here's my opinion on them:

Eye goop - I've been tested, no STDs. Therefore, no eye goop for kiddo.

Vitamin K shot - I'm against it in general - high dose, preservatives and other things in shot that aren't good. However, I will accept it IF the birth is unusually traumatic, which usually increases the chances of bleeding by a tiny amount.

Hepatitis B - NO WAY!!!!

Newborn Screening - includes PKU test. My ped strongly recommends 2 tests - 24 hours and 1 week. This test covers 30-50 different diseases depending on which state you live in. I can handle taking blood out of a heel over injecting baby with any shots. I agree to this test. I can remember if I did both tests with DS or just one.

Newborn Hearing Test - I have a congenital hearing loss that wasn't discovered until I was 15. Knowing sooner could have really helped me. I very much in favor of the test. The hearing test was done in our hospital room with DH and me present, and DS didn't even wake up. It took only a few seconds. I'd strongly recommend it. A PP mentioned taking the baby away - what?! No way! Go with them, have them bring the machine, or get it done later. This is not a test that requires the parents to be separated from their child.

: DS - June '07 : DS2 - May '09 : (may be delayed a really long time!)
#12 of 23 Old 02-02-2009, 01:51 AM

Eye ointment--nope, it's only necessary if you have syphilis or gonorrhea.

Vit K--haven't decided yet. It's used to prevent hemorrhaging from a rare disease; they give it to all babies because you can't know which ones will have the disease. As far as I know the supposed link to leukemia has been debunked. I'm not too clear on what the possible side effects are though, I need to look into it further.

PKU--definitely getting this one. It's my understanding that it tests for a lot of diseases that will not be as severe if they are diagnosed early. I haven't researched it recently, but from what I recall the benefits WAY outweigh the discomfort of the baby's heel being pricked.

Hep B--definitely not, I don't have Hep B and my baby is not at risk for it.

hearing test--I'll get this done, don't see any reason not to. It's completely non invasive and with my son they did it while I was holding him.

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

#13 of 23 Old 02-02-2009, 02:12 AM

I think the eye goop and Vit K are required around here where I'll be delivering. I'm not sure yet, but I've heard it's one of those things that you CANNOT opt out of...

Be wary of any blood sugar testing if you're breastfeeding. A friend breastfed before this test was done and her doctor almost freaked out because the baby's blood sugar was "higher" than normal...well, he'd just eaten so yeah it would be.

Forget Hep B. I don't have it and I'm against shooting a newborn up with crap anyway.

The hearing test is probably fine. As long as he doesn't leave my side I'm fine with it.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#14 of 23 Old 02-02-2009, 02:57 AM

I'm homebirthing, but in the event of a transfer...

Eye goop: No way. I have no STDs and my husband is allergic to that antibiotic. Between his erythromycin allergy and my severe penicillin allergy, I'm avoiding antibiotics in general as long as I can.

Hep B: Again, no way. I think I'll have my kid get it when they're 9 or 10, not 9 or 10 minutes.

Vit. K: I don't see a real need for it.

PKU: My midwife can do this for us, and I think the potential information is valuable enough that I want to do it. So, at a follow up appointment I'll have her poke my baby's heal.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#15 of 23 Old 02-02-2009, 03:00 AM

I'm just goign to chime in on the "PKU test" aspect. This test, as others have pointed out, tests for WAY more than just PKU, and some of the metabolic disorders that it screens for are accurate immediately, not just after your milk comes in. This is why they do 2 seperate tests, one to immediately catch those that are not milk dependant, and the second to catch those that are. Yes, these disorders are extremely rare, but that doesn't mean that it is a guarantee that your child is not one of those affected. My youngest daughter tested positive on her 24 hour newborn screen for Biotinidase Deficiency (which I had never even HEARD of before). As a result of this screen, we were able to start supplementing her with biotin at 5 days old and she showed no negative effects from the disorder. As long as she is supplemented she should never have any effects. If she had not been diagnosed early she could have had irreversible damage or even died from it. I am not an alarmist, and I'm not big on allowing them to do unnecessary proceedures (we decline vaccines, eye goop, Vit K, etc), but please reconsider before you choose to decline the "PKU screen."
#16 of 23 Old 02-02-2009, 03:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
I think the eye goop and Vit K are required around here where I'll be delivering. I'm not sure yet, but I've heard it's one of those things that you CANNOT opt out of...
I think you can waive administration in any state: find you state here, http://www.vaclib.org/exemption.htm
#17 of 23 Old 02-02-2009, 04:11 AM

I'm another who thinks the PKU/Newborn Screening is worth the heel prick. I know a mom whose baby was saved lots of damage because they found out (I think it was galacto-something?)

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#18 of 23 Old 02-02-2009, 10:36 AM

I refuse everything except the PKU and I wait to have that done until the home nurse visits which is within a week after baby is born. And OP, you do not have to homebirth to avoide these. You can just sign the waver at the hospital and refuse them. I give birth at the birthing center that's down the hall from labor and delivery at our hospital and they are WONDERFUL beyond words. I refuse everything and they don't bat an eye.
#19 of 23 Old 02-02-2009, 10:47 AM

We don't have the Hep B shot here in Canada for newborns, so that wasn't a consideration.

My first dd we skipped the eye ointment and vit K, but did the metabolic screening.

Second dd we skipped eye ointment, but did vit K because she was a forceps birth and came out really banged up. She also got metabolic screening.

I'm not sure if Canada keeps the samples in a database, but it wouldn't matter to me. I've worked in combined care before, and think that while the numbers of instances are low, the devastation caused by some of the metabolic diseases makes it worth catching early.

JMO.

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
#20 of 23 Old 02-02-2009, 11:26 AM

From what I understand the requirements for these procedures vary from state to state... I have been told that you can't refuse the hearing or PKU in Georgia and my mw said that they can't just give the Hep B you have to fill out a form for them to be able to administer it so it isn't something you really have to fight against.
#21 of 23 Old 02-02-2009, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Another thought on the PKU...many insurance companies won't cover your child if you don't have it done. We just waited until she was 6 days old and went back in to have it done.

We refused everything else (except the hearing test that they did in our room while she slept) and got so much crap about it! They essentially told us we were neglectful, uneducated parents making poor choices for our child.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#22 of 23 Old 02-02-2009, 01:35 PM

I'm giving birth in GA, and though PKU/infant screening is state law, you can get out of anything you want.

No: vit K, eye goop, hep B

Yes: PKU/infant screening, hearing test, blood sugar due to me being high risk (I have insulin resistance and as a result, I can pass the 3 hour GTT and still have GD. My second child was a situation of undiagnosed, untreated GD since I passed the glucose tests easily).
#23 of 23 Old 02-02-2009, 03:24 PM

:

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page