Anyone try Shettles....did it work? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-14-2003, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we're thinking of trying to conceive soon - and i thought i'd try shettles method for a girl. for anyone who has tried it, did it work?
#2 of 11 Old 12-14-2003, 10:37 AM

I have a friend who tried it. She has 2 boys and really really wanted a girl.

She is 24wks. preggo with a girl.

I do not know though if that is just what she was suppose to have or if was actually the Shettles method that made it happen?
#3 of 11 Old 12-14-2003, 01:15 PM

What is the Shettles method?
#4 of 11 Old 12-14-2003, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I did the Shettles method with both of mine and got exactly what I wanted. With DS I had sex the day before O and the day of O. I had a boy. With DD I had sex 3-4 days before O and then not again until after O and I got a girl. It might take awhile longer to get a girl unless your DH has hardy swimmers like mine. We got out girl on the first month I ovulated (but I don't ovulate every month I have PCOS).

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#5 of 11 Old 12-14-2003, 04:05 PM

I didn't really try Shettles, but am familiar with the method. I can tell you that dh and I had sex two days before I ovulated, and I am now almost 21 weeks pg with a little girl. My first is also a girl, but I have no idea when I ovulated.

HTH.
#6 of 11 Old 12-14-2003, 04:25 PM

I didn't try it, but when I went back and looked at my dates, I knew dd was a girl and ds was a boy, just from when I ovulated. Dd we did it about 2-3 days before (don't remember exactly now), with Ds, it was the day before or the day of. With this one, I'm not sure- as we were more *ahem* active than we were with either of the other two, so it could go either way. I've got the feeling it's a girl, but who knows. With the dates, it could go either way.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#7 of 11 Old 12-14-2003, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We did Shettles for a girl, along with some other methods (diet, etc) but we won't know if it worked for about another month or so.

It was a bit of a PIA to follow it all, and there were times when wanted to forget it all and just make a baby, but we figured the aggrivation was worth the higher chance

I'll let you know if it worked when we find out

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#8 of 11 Old 12-15-2003, 09:38 AM

We weren't doing Shettles, but I think it would work in theory. With my son we got pregntant after having sex the day before and the day of ovulation. With this pregnancy (if U/S due date and gender prediction is correct) then we got pregnant with our daughter after having sex 4 and 3 days before ovulation and the day after. Seems like my two babes support the shettles method.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#9 of 11 Old 12-16-2003, 10:07 AM

Again, could someone please explainhow the Shettles method works?
Thanks!
#10 of 11 Old 12-16-2003, 10:38 AM

It worked for us - after 2 boys, we got our girl! I didn't obsess over the method - just read the book, and followed the suggestions. I got the book from a friend of mine who also had 2 boys, and then a girl with Shettles.

Sorry I can't tell you about the method, though - I don't really remember too well what we did..
#11 of 11 Old 12-16-2003, 12:28 PM

the method worked for our 2 kids. We didn't use the method for my daughter, but she was conceived before O. We tried to time it just right for my son, and i think we bd the day i O'd. and we got a boy! i have no idea with this pregnancy, i don't even know my lmp. lol

i don't know the whole method, but basically it says that you should have sex before you ovulate for a girl, and the day you ovulate for a boy. the basis is that female-sperm are slow, but long lived, and male-sperm are fast, but die off fast.

interesting theory and seems to be right, with most people i know.

Melanie
edd #3 7/10/2004

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page