Aspartame & Pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-02-2009, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just read the label on my Flinstones chewables - they don't have iron - and aspartame is listed. I thought this was a big NO NO for preggies, but gee - kids...should I still take them? Anyone have any aspartame during pregnancy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009, 10:28 PM

I stay away from it!! It's even in chewing gum. I've heard aspertame could cause miscarriage. scary stuff!!

SAHM to 2 daughters (conceived thru IVF) and one baby on the way (conceived without medical intervention)

Old 02-02-2009, 10:47 PM

Thats sad that we would rather give KIDS apartame than some real sugar!

UGH, have you heard of Florodex? I am not sure the spelling is correct, but its a disolvable vitamin powder.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:57 PM

I use aspartame during pregnancy in small amounts. If you are uncomfortable doing so, though, not all of the flintstones varities use that as a sweetener. My DD takes Flinstones with iron and they are sweetened with sucrose (sugar).

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

Old 02-02-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayeser View Post
I've heard aspertame could cause miscarriage. scary stuff!!
Oh wow!! That IS scary! And it seems to be in everything now. :

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

Old 02-02-2009, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to the general pregnancy forum since it's not a DDC-specific topic

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 02-02-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayeser View Post
I've heard aspertame could cause miscarriage.
I have never seen a study on this, and searching pubmed for "aspartame miscarriage" came up with no results.

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

Old 02-02-2009, 11:34 PM

If you want to take a flintstone's type of vitamin that is naturally sweetened you could try Animal Parade vitamins (made by Source of Life). They are derived from whole foods. My kids love them.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:38 PM

NO WAY. aspartame is freaky freaky. even worse that I imagined initially. I've been reading up on this a lot lately and trying to convince all my friends to kick their aspartame habits (mainly its the diet cokes they can't give up).

If you have netflix, there is a documentary on there that is available to rent or to watch instantly.

Its called SWEET MISERY: A POISONED WORLD. if you watch it, I bet you won't ever touch the stuff again. The production quality isn't amazing, but the research is pretty solid and checks out. And the timeline on its FDA approval and all that is all fact. Its crazy.

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:36 AM

I personally don't feel comfortable with aspartame whether pregnant or not. I have a couple cups of coffee a day, and the occasional glass of wine, but that stuff freaks me out.

There must be a similar vitamin out there that doesn't use artificial sweeteners?

JMHO
Old 02-03-2009, 01:28 PM

Check out a health food/vitamin store. The one I work at will not carry anything with aspartame or splenda. I think most use xylitol to sweeten.

Mary, mama to Adeline (5/12/09) luxlove.gifbrokenheart.gif July 2010 and brokenheart.gif Sept 2011, and Huxley (11/6/12) biggrinbounce.gif  and  stork-suprise.gif October 2014??
Old 02-03-2009, 01:35 PM

I won't eat ANYTHING with artificial sweeteners. Aspartame is by far the worst, but splenda and the like aren't any good either. My DH' family eats a lot of it and his grandpa bakes with it and I am constantly asking 'is this made with sugar or splenda?' at their house. And they just don't really get it. "Sugar Free" is such a load of BS - it may be sugar free. But its far, far, far worse for you than any amount of sugar ever could be!!
Old 02-03-2009, 01:41 PM

The problem with aspartame is that it crosses the blood-brain barrier, and anything that crosses the blood-brain barrier will cross over into the placenta (and thus the bbay's blood stream and the baby's brain) as well. And aspartame kills brain cells-- in adults, so presumably in a fetus as well.

That said, I have ingested some aspartame this pregnancy in the form of chewing gum here and there. I feel okay about that. I would not drink a diet soda which contains higher amounts of aspartame, and I would not take a daily vitamin that contains aspartame either.

Honestly, though, a vitamin which contains aspartame is going to be toxic in so many other ways, too, that the aspartame wouldn't be the first thing to keep me away. Did you know that many synthetic versions of vitamins are toxic, are not usable by the body as nutrients, and actually do more harm than good to ingest? I mean it would be better to take nothing than to take Flinstones-- for you or your kids. A good prenatal vitamin that your body can actually use is a food-based one like Rainbow Light or New Chapter or Floradix brands. For my kids, they don't take a multivitamin, but they get a calcium supplement (they don't eat much dairy) a vitamin C, and a probiotic. Ocassionally my older son gets some Floradix iron supplement.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Old 02-03-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
I won't eat ANYTHING with artificial sweeteners. Aspartame is by far the worst, but splenda and the like aren't any good either. My DH' family eats a lot of it and his grandpa bakes with it and I am constantly asking 'is this made with sugar or splenda?' at their house. And they just don't really get it. "Sugar Free" is such a load of BS - it may be sugar free. But its far, far, far worse for you than any amount of sugar ever could be!!

I totally agree with this. It is very scary and nasty stuff.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
Old 02-03-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
Did you know that many synthetic versions of vitamins are toxic, are not usable by the body as nutrients, and actually do more harm than good to ingest?
Everything is toxic at some point.

sorry, I'm a toxicologist and had to point that out

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
Old 02-03-2009, 02:13 PM

I drank diet coke through my first pregnancy - bad bad bad I know. I knew it at the time but I didn't want to believe it because it was the only thing that settled my stomach. DD was an extremely high needs, gassy baby and sometimes I feel very guilty that my diet coke drinking made that worse, etc. (although there are lots of other good reasons for her "issues").

When DD was about 2 years old, however, I started getting horrible mono like symptoms. I would get fevers for days at a time with swollen neck lymph nodes. I was achy and felt terrible. It started happening for a full week about once a month. I tried everything to make it better and of course doctors were NO help. I started seeing a NAET practitioner and she started to help me feel stronger but it was still happening. After about 8-9 months of this and a lecture from the NAET practitioner I stropped drinking diet coke completely. It didn't come back. A few months later I caved and had one diet coke and suffered through 3 days of fever and swollen glands. From that point onward I have stayed away from all aspartame and I HAVE NEVER GOTTEN IT AGAIN. I am now completely scared s**tless of the stuff.

, , , , , to DD1 (4.5 years old) and DD2 (7 months) and 2
Old 02-03-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
I use aspartame during pregnancy in small amounts. If you are uncomfortable doing so, though, not all of the flintstones varities use that as a sweetener. My DD takes Flinstones with iron and they are sweetened with sucrose (sugar).
that's the kind we have. I just bought it last week.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
Old 02-03-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naupakamama View Post
I drank diet coke through my first pregnancy - bad bad bad I know. I knew it at the time but I didn't want to believe it because it was the only thing that settled my stomach. DD was an extremely high needs, gassy baby and sometimes I feel very guilty that my diet coke drinking made that worse, etc. (although there are lots of other good reasons for her "issues").
I drank it through my last pregnancy as well and my DD was also high needs, gassy and wouldn't sleep, nothing would soothe her. I had never had diet sodas when I was pregnant with my oldest child and he was the calmest child on the earth. lol. It could be a coincidence though, but it's enough to tell me I need to start weaning myself from the diet pepsi.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
Old 02-03-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethSLP View Post
Its called SWEET MISERY: A POISONED WORLD. if you watch it, I bet you won't ever touch the stuff again. The production quality isn't amazing, but the research is pretty solid and checks out. And the timeline on its FDA approval and all that is all fact. Its crazy.
We have Netflix... I'll definitely be checking this out!

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

Old 02-03-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcytrue View Post
I drank it through my last pregnancy as well and my DD was also high needs, gassy and wouldn't sleep, nothing would soothe her. I had never had diet sodas when I was pregnant with my oldest child and he was the calmest child on the earth. lol. It could be a coincidence though, but it's enough to tell me I need to start weaning myself from the diet pepsi.
Yicks! Thats disturbing. Thanks so much for sharing this. Sample size of 2 but still. A friend of mine actually used some of my pumped milk when her DS was born because no matter what she tried she couldn't produce enough. She said that when she used my milk her DS got really gassy though That was the first thing that made me really think: uh oh.

I am now pregnant with number 2 so here's to hoping for a very calm baby!

Old 02-03-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancechylde View Post
I personally don't feel comfortable with aspartame whether pregnant or not. I have a couple cups of coffee a day, and the occasional glass of wine, but that stuff freaks me out.

yeah, this. and aspartame is the biggest reason I cannot chew gum. It makes me sick.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:06 PM

I took it during both pregnancies, and all my kids are rather high needs. I am not using it this time though as I read that aspertame turned into formaldehyde in the body :

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
Old 02-03-2009, 05:18 PM

I wont touch aspertame pregnant or not. I'm convinced it is poison. (DH is an oncologist and wont touch it either because it causes brain tumors in mice.)

BTW, DD was extemely high needs and fussy as an infant, and I never had aspartame when I was pg with her.

mama to DD (7), DS (3.5), and another DS arriving in August!

Old 02-03-2009, 05:45 PM

Honestly, I avoid artificial sweetners now because...just thinking from a logical perspective...they're probably not the best thing for our bodies because of how very unnatural they are.

HOWEVER, I consumed aspartame and sucralose throughout my first pregnancy on a regular basis and my baby was as calm as could be. No gassiness, no fussiness...the only time he ever fussed was when he was starving.

Sorry to be opposing anecdote...but I really think it's just coincidental.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplestraws View Post
Honestly, I avoid artificial sweetners now because...just thinking from a logical perspective...they're probably not the best thing for our bodies because of how very unnatural they are.

HOWEVER, I consumed aspartame and sucralose throughout my first pregnancy on a regular basis and my baby was as calm as could be. No gassiness, no fussiness...the only time he ever fussed was when he was starving.

Sorry to be opposing anecdote...but I really think it's just coincidental.
haha. I know, but I have to hold on to any hope that my current little bean will be much calmer then my DD was. please oh please.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I only took 1 vitamin so I'm pretty sure I'm safe. I never have artificial sweeteners otherwise, but I saw it on the label & was a bit baffled. I can't take my Rainbow Light because they make me vomit ASAP...I wanted to try the no-iron route...Thanks.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUOMI-SOFIA View Post
Thanks. I only took 1 vitamin so I'm pretty sure I'm safe. I never have artificial sweeteners otherwise, but I saw it on the label & was a bit baffled. I can't take my Rainbow Light because they make me vomit ASAP...I wanted to try the no-iron route...Thanks.
Ugh, I'm sorry it made you so sick . . . I know they have the big one-a-day kind, if that's the kind you were taking try the other, smaller version-- it might work better for you-- also, you could try taking the prenatal after taking a Mommy's Bliss Morning Sickness Magic capsule to hopefully prevent the nausea. The Morning Sickness Magic supplement contains vitamin B6, Folic Acid, Ginger Root Extract, and Red Raspberry Leaf.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Old 02-03-2009, 08:02 PM

I drank Crystal light almost every day when pregnant with DD b/c I didn't know any better. www.safefetus.com had it listed category A, the same as Tylenol, so I thought it was ok.

Now I don't have any artificial sweeteners preggo or not. Unless HFCS counts, I do indulge in Dr Pepper sometimes. Usually when I want pop I get Jones Soda, and for my tea I use stevia.

Erin~ Mommy to 3 curly-headed children and expecting #4 in December. ***4***8***12**16***20***24***28***32***36***40**

User Tag List