Hypnobirthing/Hypnobabies - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-09-2009, 03:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think everyone has pretty well covered everything I'd want to say about how amazing and wonderful Hypnobabies is! I only wish I had used it for my first birth. I came out of that birth feeling that if I were to get pregnant again I would find an OB that would let me schedule a c-section. It was awful. Luckily I did some reading when I became pregnant with baby #2! Among many other things, it brought me to hypnosis in birth. After reading up on Hypnobirthing and Hypnobabies, I decided to go with Hypnobabies.

It was AMAZING. We had to drive over an hour away to get to the birth center and even though I was experiencing waves every 5 minutes, I had NO pain, only pressure. And that was when I was cooped up in the car! My discman ran out of batteries on the way and I discovered I didn't even need the cds right then. I was totally relaxed and excited. When we arrived at the birth center my midwife didn't seem to believe I was going to be having the baby any time soon. Luckily I asked my DH to call my mom anyway so she and DD could head on over. They arrived moments after I birthed DS!

My midwife seemed pretty amazed by my birth. I heard her discussing it with the midwife, about how I was so calm and how I breathed the baby down. I did have a harder time during transition than I'd hoped, but I also had my DH turn the cd off because it was interrupting my concentration. I never did listen to the last one, but I think if I had had it on headphones instead of just on a cd player in the room, it would have gone much smoother. I could have focused a lot better.

The only time I had any actual panic was after his head came out. I didn't know what to do! Of course at the hospital they had just pulled the baby right out. My midwife calmly told me to push him the rest of the way out with the next wave. Duh!

I'm due with baby #3 in July and I can't wait to get my cds out of storage so I can start listening again! I HIGHLY recommend Hypnobabies!!! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2009, 04:31 PM

I am just joining the thread really, and haven't read the past posts but for the ones under mine, but I wanted to say that I never tell anyone what birth is or isn't "supposed to" be. That is really, in essence, exactly what we're trying to rectify in the Mother's mind. All of those "supposed to" ideas that society, family, friends, and TV have been bombarding her with.

I do tell my students it doesn't HAVE TO be painful. It CAN be comfortable, it WILL be. The "will be" is part of the suggestion. Suggestion is a necessary part of the hypnosis. I don't guarantee a pain free birth. I tell them it's intense. I tell them that everyone's experience is different. And most importantly, I make sure, MAKE SURE that they walk away from my classes knowing there is NO FAILURE INVOLVED.

These things are in the Hypnobabies materials. No where does it say that birth should or shouldn't be anything.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:51 PM

As someone who used Hypnobirthing the first time around, I really don't understand how some posters on here are claiming that the pain free birth and "no physiological reason" for pain is not part of the method or somehow the teacher wasn't listening during their training There is mentions of this directly in the book I was given in the class.

We were told there is no physical reason for pain, and like another poster said its only because of fear and tension.

I dont know how it is experienced by other moms, but I'm not quite sure how the "ring of fire" applies to no there being no physical reason for pain. your skin, cervix, etc. is being stretched quite liberally when a large baby comes out. I find that to be reason enough for pain

I'd be hesitant though of taking anyone's second birth story (as compared to their first) as a good reason to like one method over another. In general second births (and those thereafter) tend to go more quickly and easily. Not saying that accounts for the whole thing, but its not exactly comparing apples to apples. Not that every baby isn't different and every birth isn't different. But if I chose to do Hypnobabies this time, and it was a quick easy birth, I can't say I would attribute it all to that. My first birth was an induction fighting very unfavorable conditions (totally hard closed cervix) and the added joy of pre-eclampsia. So I don't blame Hypnobirthing in the slightest for my birth being f'ing crazy all around

I am actually grateful for my crazy birth, because I still learned a TON about myself. I think its important to prepare for birth, but also recognize it can't be controlled. I know people with natural births who are very proud they didn't need drugs. That is fantastic and something to be proud about. But I can also say without reservation, that if I had their birth, I could have done it too Its not a competition. In the end, whatever experience you have can be meaningful if you open your mind. In my case, I came out of that hellacious labor feeling like I could do anything. I had zero apprehension about taking care of a newborn for the first time at all. It was like "Give me that kid. I've got this HANDLED. If I can do what I just did, I can do ANYTHING." Really and truly I felt like a superhero.

So I think my biggest beef with Hypnobirthing is again the "shoulds." That and I personally have a hard time with the idea that you can just "breathe the baby down" and that pushing is not needed (esp. with first babies). My MW has attended over 1,500 births. Ina May also agrees that pushing is usually necessary. Aside from the fact that women natural feel an urge to push. Logistically, I'm not sure I can buy into the idea that its better to breathe them out. It makes sense that they would need a push to make it through that small space..... Anyhow, JMO.

I guess I still have a hard time with the idea of home study vs. a real person though because my hypnotherapist was soooo wonderful and supportive. To me THE BEST part (by far) were the hypnosis sessions we had together. She helped me a release a lot of fear and feel more positive about the unknown experience that lie ahead. I just loved those sessions.
XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethSLP View Post
I guess I still have a hard time with the idea of home study vs. a real person though because my hypnotherapist was soooo wonderful and supportive. To me THE BEST part (by far) were the hypnosis sessions we had together. She helped me a release a lot of fear and feel more positive about the unknown experience that lie ahead. I just loved those sessions.
For someone like me, the HypnoBabies home-study is the definite preferable way to go. I have a hard time letting anyone do stuff to me, especially hypnosis (it's been tried by therapists before, and it didn't work for me). I don't know that I could even be successfully hypnotized by someone else in person, because it's a control thing. I feel like listening to the voice on my iPod is self-hypnosis because I'm choosing exactly the moment I want to do it, where I want to, how I want to, and I'm not wasting a $100 session if I have to stop and come back later or I need to get up to deal with itchiness, RLS, etc. There's absolutely no pressure on me to "get it right" at that very moment, because I have all the hours in the day to come back and try again. I'd just be faking it through a "live" session because I'd feel like I was wasting the hypnotherapist's time, or I'd be told I wasn't doing it right, etc. I'd want to fulfill their expectations.

Plus, it's just gonna be me, DH and the MW at my birth, so having learned how to do it by myself, to myself, is essential to me. I find it hard to understand how anyone can translate hypnosis tools they learned while lying on a couch in someone's office, listening to that person's voice, to their birth situation where they probably won't be in that office, lying on that couch and listening to that person's voice, you know? So I guess that just proves that it truly is different for everyone.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:37 PM

Just to throw my two cents in, I found hypnobirthing two deliveries ago. I had an epidural as I had planned but still found the techniques useful, for (1) the time period prior to active labor - I have a lot of contractions during those weeks - and (2) during the pushing phase. I see the "breathing down the baby" as just a different form of pushing, using the muscles on top of the abdomen instead of the usual rear end. But maybe that was because I was already anesthetized LOL.

Ironically, I was not able to use the breathing down the baby technique in my most recent delivery. Again I wanted to use hypnobirthing and this time there was no epidural or pain relief of any kind. (I was on heparin and it was a fast labor anyway - baby was born two hours after I got to the hospital, which was at 5 cm.) It was a very intense labor, particularly once I got to the hospital. As usual, I could barely get that last bathroom trip to pee accomplished before I dragged myself to the bed wehre I couldn't move. (I envy all you who can move your bodies in labor - it seems physically impossible for me to move unless I get an epi.) It was like one giant contraction, and I could barely talk or move the entire time. I just laid there on my side trying to move air in and out of my lungs as evenly as possible; it was like trying to do a long run but with an elephant on your chest. So I concentrated on my breathing as if I was running, and concentrated on relaxing the area of the cervix, etc. as much as possible so the contractions could do their work. I really felt like I was running up a mountain, ironic since I was laying perfectly still. Indeed the monitor wasn't even picking up contractions so no one had any idea what was going on. But when the OB checked me and I was almost complete, she said the pain would all be over when the baby was out. So, when my body started involuntarily to "expel" the baby (that's how it felt), I pushed along with it, eager to be done LOL. There was no "breathing down" anything. There WAS a ring of fire. In my mind (my eyes were closed) it kind of looked like a solar eclipse lol. Essentially, hypnobirthing did little for me during the most critical time of that delivery, those two hours at the hospital, though it was certainly better than knowing nothing. Fortunately I found a way through on my own by breathing as though I were running, and I appreciated the importance of trying to relax the important "tissues" but it was a tall order that I hoped never to repeat, just last May. It almost seemed like kind of a violent birth, if there is such a thing. I was shaking and couldn't move enough to hold him when they wanted to put him on my chest immediately afterward - I had to say no.

Now I'm in a surprise pregnancy. So, I'm considering trying hypnobabies - is it worth not only the cost but the preparation time? I'd be doing home study - no way I'll be able to manage a class (I have five young kids and a DH who works late).

Can the hypnobabies course do anything for getting over fears? It is not pain that I am afraid of. Seriously, that I can do no matter how rough it gets. But for a time I felt like I was going to pass out, which was scary like something bad was happening (OB said that was probably just transition), and during the time prior to leaving for the hospital it felt like some sharp body parts of the baby were poking me in my c-section scar. That was my third vbac, so you'd think I'd be over fear of rupture; instead I seem more acutely aware of the risk and the sensations. I anticipate that, if the baby is positioned correctly, this will again be a short labor, perhaps even shorter, so again no epidural, and though I could get through what I did before since it was so temporary, I'd like to not feel like I got hit by a truck for those first few hours after. thoughts? I apologize if I'm hijacking the thread - I'll move this if I need to...

Old 02-09-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmom5 View Post
Can the hypnobabies course do anything for getting over fears?
There's a special "Fear Clearing Session" script that you can listen to as many times as you want, that I've heard a lot of really awesome stories about. It's for whatever YOU fear----literally anything. I'm sure someone here will have a good story to share about it!
Old 02-10-2009, 12:33 AM

For me, the homestudy (Hypnobabies) was perfect. There was no way I was going to be able to really release and get that relaxed in a class of others , or with someone I don't know. So, sure, if you already know it won't work for you, it won't. For others, it's the perfect solution.

Katie : Mom to three under four. Yes, i don't sleep often.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethSLP View Post
That and I personally have a hard time with the idea that you can just "breathe the baby down" and that pushing is not needed (esp. with first babies). My MW has attended over 1,500 births. Ina May also agrees that pushing is usually necessary. Aside from the fact that women natural feel an urge to push. Logistically, I'm not sure I can buy into the idea that its better to breathe them out. It makes sense that they would need a push to make it through that small space..... Anyhow, JMO.
I think there's a big difference between breathing the baby down and breathing the baby out. Had I been in a hospital, they would have been checking me. When the OB felt I was dilated and effaced, they would have told me to start pushing, regardless of whether or not my body felt that it was time. At least for me (and my midwife), breathing the baby down meant that my birthing waves did the work of getting the baby all the way down the birth canal. I did push, but only at the very end. It was pretty neat, actually. I felt this increasing urge and my body just took over. Instead of stressing my body out by forcing it to push when it wasn't ready, I was able to wait until it was actually time to push, so instead of pushing for 3.5 hours, I pushed through only about 5 waves. I never would have been able to do that if I weren't in a thoroughly calm state.

I never experienced the ring of fire with my second birth. I sure as heck did with my first. But I think it's unfair to discount a second birth story just because second births are "generally easier." Did Hypnobabies solve every problem? I'll never know, because my second birth was so drastically different from my first (hospital vs. birth center; epidural vs. waterbirth; pitocin, IV & constant checks vs. no interventions at all). I think the BIGGEST difference though, was that after doing the Hypnobabies home-study course I felt like I was prepared for birth. I was clueless and terrified the first time around, despite the hospital childbirth class. I was horrified of even the thought of giving birth again. If all Hypnobabies did was give me some extra knowledge and tools to use and to ease my fears by the time it was time to birth my baby, then it was WELL worth it.

If only I could express in words the depth of my fears and the complete turn-around to joyful anticipation in the last 3 months of my pregnancy...it was worth every single penny.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouKnowMe View Post
For me, the homestudy (Hypnobabies) was perfect. There was no way I was going to be able to really release and get that relaxed in a class of others , or with someone I don't know. So, sure, if you already know it won't work for you, it won't. For others, it's the perfect solution.
^Exactly!^
Old 02-10-2009, 01:22 PM

loving this thread! who is good at stats? it seems the majority had a positive experience with hypnosis, especially hypnobabies.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:33 PM

I'm due in April and have been waffling on Hypnobabies for a while. I always wanted it, but it's a big investment for us. After reading this thread, we decided to make it work.

I'm really excited. I've used their free half-hour relaxation script with great results. I'll be counting the days 'til my home study course arrives. ^_^

Gallifreyan nerdfighter :, doting partner to the sasquatch , mama to the boss : (10/05) and the new little one (4/14/09). :: and hoping to :
Old 02-10-2009, 01:34 PM

I am so grateful for this thread! We've been trying to figure out which of the two programs would be best for us for a couple weeks now. Hypnobabies sounds like just what I need...

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

Old 02-10-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasharna View Post
I'm due in April and have been waffling on Hypnobabies for a while. I always wanted it, but it's a big investment for us. After reading this thread, we decided to make it work.

I'm really excited. I've used their free half-hour relaxation script with great results. I'll be counting the days 'til my home study course arrives. ^_^
They have a waiting list for used copies that's considerably cheaper, if you're needing to go that route.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
Old 02-10-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten View Post
They have a waiting list for used copies that's considerably cheaper, if you're needing to go that route.
I am going to order a new one because I only have a few weeks left, but I just wanted to say thank you for letting us know about this.

Gallifreyan nerdfighter :, doting partner to the sasquatch , mama to the boss : (10/05) and the new little one (4/14/09). :: and hoping to :
Old 02-11-2009, 11:32 AM

I ordered the Hypnobabies home study course yesterday!

alsoSarah

I just happen to like apples, and I am not afraid of snakes. ~Ani d.
These dolls and toys confuse me so; Confound it all, I love it, though!~J. Skellington
Old 02-11-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanibani View Post
Basically, the uterus is like a muscle, you move your elbows, arms, it doesn't hurt... same deal with the uterus. It's not supposed to, but often it does because women tense up their bodies (anticipating the worse).
So you realize you are talking about the physiology of the uterus muscle with absolutely no proof.

Birth is the same as running a marathon in many ways. Muscles are what make our body move so we know they exist to be used. There normally is not pain when doing everyday movement with our legs - walking, lifting your leg, etc. The uterus is normally not used on a daily basis the way it is during birth and - if you are someone that casually works out or perhaps doesn't exercise at all - your leg muscles are usually not used to run a marathon on a daily basis. I know first hand that marathoners experience pain, even those that train hard WITH some sort of hypnosis. It's due to the physiological and chemical changes in the muscles being used (not to mention environmental factors like the weather, the overall health of the runner, etc). So if our uterus is going through a marathon, why wouldn't the experience of pain be natural? And why wouldn't it be different for everyone? Maybe because I am only 5'1" and have a shorter torso, maybe my contractions will effect my bones or other organs or another muscle that doesn't effect you during birth. (Haven't you heard of women cracking their pelvis bone during delivery - do you really think there is no pain associated with that?!!) Or maybe I just got over the flu so my body is more weak than it would be if I gave birth a week later.

Finding a way to overcome the pain psychologically is great, but physically the pain is there and is supposed to be because that muscle tissue - along with other muscles since you use more than just the uterus to give birth - is being overworked more than normal. Perhaps tensing up makes the pain worse, but it's NOT the CAUSE of the pain. So the pain isn't just related to the uterus doing what it is supposed to do during birth - contract - there is so much more involved that you are leaving out.

The only way to really prove that there is no pain associated with the uterus muscle contracting alone and that it's due to tensing the body, there would have to be physical studies on the chemical and physiological make up of the uterus muscle before, during and after birth. Just like they do on runners - it's been proven in labs that the chemical and physiological change in the muscle tissue is felt by the body due to nerves transporting the information to the brain. That passed info is how your brain knows to release endorphins to help ease the pain...which is what happens during birth too. But how many studies do you know of where birthing women were hooked up to machines and probes and had samples of their uterus cut out during, before and after labor?

And in addition...

Going with your way of thinking that our bodies are made for birthing so therefore shouldn't feel the pain - why stop there? Women's bodies are made for reproduction and part of that includes ovulation so then one must assume that menstral cramps shouldn't hurt (which I've heard is how contractions feel...hmmm, coincidence?). And women shouldn't experience morning sickness, fatigue, round ligament pain, etc, or any discomforts during pregnancy since it's a natural part of our bodies. Your stomach is also there to process food/liquids but we still "feel" hunger when it's there, and don't when it's not. But I don't know, perhaps the hypnosis techniques - whether Hypnobirthing or Hypnobabies - can be used to avoid all "natural" pain?
Old 02-11-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphindance View Post

Finding a way to overcome the pain psychologically is great, but physically the pain is there and is supposed to be because that muscle tissue - along with other muscles since you use more than just the uterus to give birth - is being overworked more than normal.
Saying that the pain is "supposed to be there" is kind of the same as saying "there's not supposed to be pain" don't you think? It's just completely dismissing the other side. Maybe for some women it's supposed to be there, and for others it's not.

And what I don't understand is, how can one say that it must have been some psychological reason that a woman didn't feel pain----there are tons and tons and tons of documented cases of women all around the world (and on this very board) who have absolutely no training or knowledge of hypnosis or even special breathing techniques, but yet they had no pain during labor (like the women who didn't know about being pregnant until the baby literally slipped out of them, without the warning signs of painful contractions). For them, it was a *physiological* reason for not having pain, not a psychological one.

Dismissing the possibility that it doesn't have to physically hurt, no matter what's in your head during labor, is just as bad as dismissing the possibility that some women are going to have painful labors no matter what they do. No one yet has the answer to why some uteri have painful contractions and some don't. Let's not argue what a woman is "supposed" to feel when her uterus contracts, as it's an unwinnable argument, on either side.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:10 PM

dolphindance i think your post is well written and i am not disagreeing with you here on a whole because i don't know if labor is supposed to hurt or not. but i have heard that menstrual cramps are not supposed to be painful. as someone who has suffered with painful periods and then started acupuncture and had the pain relieved, i can also tell you it's possible to not have pain during one's period. HTH
Old 02-11-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octobermoon View Post
dolphindance i think your post is well written and i am not disagreeing with you here on a whole because i don't know if labor is supposed to hurt or not. but i have heard that menstrual cramps are not supposed to be painful. as someone who has suffered with painful periods and then started acupuncture and had the pain relieved, i can also tell you it's possible to not have pain during one's period. HTH
I think that's a really interesting point that gets neglected in these kinds of conversations---about things like acupuncture relieving pain. That would seem to indicate that the menstrual pain had something to do with your chi/energy being backed-up or "off" or whatever, which translates to "something is wrong." There's a theory that pain is only supposed to indicate that something is wrong, and draw your attention to it, and I think one's chi could have a huge part in making their labor painful or not. Our energy is soooo important to our overall health and well-being, so why wouldn't it be during labor, too? If it was funky before labor, I can't imagine what would happen when labor set in!

I think it deserves a lot more research, anyways. Maybe that's the variable that makes the difference between one labor and another, even of the same woman? Not so much her *outlook* but her actual life energy....and maybe changing your outlook has a positive effect on that energy, sometimes enough so that it fixes whatever was going to cause a painful labor....

Fun to wonder about!
Old 02-11-2009, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

As an athlete, I don't completely agree that running a marathon or another test of physical endurance or strength is necessarily "painful". I've always experienced pushing myself to a state of exhaustion as INTENSE, absolutely, but not what I would call pain. It can be painful, especially if you do something wrong, like stretch too far, e.t.c. But in general is not. Otherwise, I sure wouldn't do it!

On the other hand, I have always experienced painful periods and have wondered about this. Since it's a natural cycle, shouldn't they be pain free? (for a lot of women they are, but not me ).
I had ovarian cysts a few years back and treated them with acupuncture. During the time I was having treatment I did have several pain-free periods, and I was completely amazed. So there may be something to the energy/chi thing. I've always just assumed that there is something off with my body.... magnesium, calcium imbalance....? Who knows....
Anyway, that's just my two cents.
And....
I just got the HypnoBabies homestudy, I originally had Marie Mongan's book and CD and I was so impressed with the positive effect it had on my mind (calmed me down and made me feel happy That I wanted something more in- depth.
I think there is for sure something to it! I'm anxious to hear other's stories.
BTW, has anybody read Grantly Dick-Reeds Childbirth Without Fear? I really liked it and recommend it!
Old 02-11-2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphindance View Post
Finding a way to overcome the pain psychologically is great, but physically the pain is there and is supposed to be because that muscle tissue - along with other muscles since you use more than just the uterus to give birth - is being overworked more than normal.
This was one of my problems with Hypnobabies (which I loved and which helped me a TON during my birth and I reccommend wholeheartedly). It felt the need to claim that pain during childbirth was ONLY due to expectation and tension and fear, and that you needed to believe this to have a pain-free birth. But they also pointed out that hypnosis can be used successfully to avoid pain medication for patients undergoing surgery. I don't hear anybody trying to convince surgical patients that their pain is just due to societal expectation.

So, for the record, you don't need to believe that pain in childbirth has no physiological basis in order for hypnobabies/hypnobirthing/etc. to "work".
Old 02-12-2009, 12:06 AM

I have a couple questions for anybody who has used Hypnobabies. I would like to try it but my husband is a little worried about me being hypnotized during the birth. So here are the questions that he asked me to post. Would I be alert during the birth? What happens if an emergency arises; is it easy to snap out of hypnosis? Thanks so much.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

" But they also pointed out that hypnosis can be used successfully to avoid pain medication for patients undergoing surgery. I don't hear anybody trying to convince surgical patients that their pain is just due to societal expectation"

prothyraia,
Good point
Old 02-12-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prothyraia View Post
This was one of my problems with Hypnobabies (which I loved and which helped me a TON during my birth and I reccommend wholeheartedly). It felt the need to claim that pain during childbirth was ONLY due to expectation and tension and fear, and that you needed to believe this to have a pain-free birth.
Can you point me to the page of the materials or script where this is stated? I've not come across anything in the materials that says this. I've heard women say this about "hypnobirthing" but NOT HypnoBabies.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggernorton04 View Post
I have a couple questions for anybody who has used Hypnobabies. I would like to try it but my husband is a little worried about me being hypnotized during the birth. So here are the questions that he asked me to post. Would I be alert during the birth? What happens if an emergency arises; is it easy to snap out of hypnosis? Thanks so much.
You can be as alert or as relaxed as you want to be, you can walk around and talk if you like, and all the scripts include the suggestion (I think...it's been awhile) that you'll be aware of and respond to any emergency. One the main techniques they have you practice is going into and out of hypnosis by envisioning flipping a light switch on and off.

I never experienced any grogginess or anything like that when I "came out of it", even during the times when I went deeply enough to not actually remember what was on the tape Or when I got interrupted in the middle of one for some reason.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Sarah~ View Post
Can you point me to the page of the materials or script where this is stated? I've not come across anything in the materials that says this. I've heard women say this about "hypnobirthing" but NOT HypnoBabies.
I don't remember exactly, but it was in the Painless Childbirth script (for the home study course). It may not have been spelled out exactly like that, but that was certainly the impression I took away from it. There was also a bit about feeling sorry for people who tried to tell you their painful birth stories because they just didn't know any better, or something.

I mostly remember being so irritated by that particular script that I only listened to it a few times, so this may not be *completely* accurate.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prothyraia View Post
I don't remember exactly, but it was in the Painless Childbirth script (for the home study course). It may not have been spelled out exactly like that, but that was certainly the impression I took away from it. There was also a bit about feeling sorry for people who tried to tell you their painful birth stories because they just didn't know any better, or something.

I mostly remember being so irritated by that particular script that I only listened to it a few times, so this may not be *completely* accurate.
Huh, I'll re-listen to that one tonight. It might be that that particular script has been re-done since you did the course; it's on the 5th edition now.

The only thing I've ever heard like that is that it doesn't HAVE to hurt, and that other peoples' negative experience are their own, and not mine. Bubble of peace and all that.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanibani View Post

Basically I was still under hypnosis from the NUMEROUS (2-3) Hypnobabies tapes I used. My psychic gave me some verbal commands to snap me out of it.

sorry but i really am doubting the "still in hypnosis" part. all hypnosis is self hypnosis. you choose and choose not to relax and take the suggestions for an easy birthing.

not to mention that all of the Hypnobabies scripts "count" you up at the end.

and I'm sure any Hypnobabies student can tell you that when it comes to the "mental lightswitch" (of which we're taught has 3 positions, on, center, and off) we never "override" our off switch.

i'm thinking your psychic is handing you a load of bull, and doesn't know very much about Hypnosis in general if she's telling you that you were "still" in it.

It's perfectly normal for some moms to not immediately bond with their baby. it doesn't mean you love them any less. and you said you were exhausted after the birth. that can impede that "immediate" connection.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggernorton04 View Post
I was absolutely alert throughout the entire birth. I talked with my husband and midwives, I heard everything they said, I took sips of water and asked for cool washcloths...I knew what was going on at every moment.

It's not at all like what most people see as hypnosis, like the people who hypnotize an audience or make someone act like a chicken or something. You're awake, you're aware, you're present and if an emergency did arise you'd definitely be able to respond appropriately. I never found it to be something I had to "snap out of."

The only problem I ever had with Hypnobabies was when I was first starting out. I was extremely skeptical and it took a while before I got over it. It also took a while just to learn how to calm myself down enough to even be able to sit still long enough to listen to the cds. I had major restless legs at the time and it was hard to overcome that and the skepticism. I kept plugging away though, and I'm SO glad I did!
Old 02-12-2009, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsrobertson View Post
i'm thinking your psychic is handing you a load of bull, and doesn't know very much about Hypnosis in general if she's telling you that you were "still" in it.
Funny, she is a hypnotherapist, but that probably wouldn't matter to you if you are going to discount everything I say.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl

User Tag List