Hypnobirthing/Hypnobabies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 106 Old 02-05-2009, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a first time mama, a little over five months along. I'm interested in hypnobirthing, and I'm studying the book along with the cd. So far I really like it, and I would like to get input from others who have used this method.

How were your labors and births?

Have you had experience with both hypnobirthing and hypnobabies, and which did you prefer?

I guess I'm not as much looking for a pain free birth experience as much as a positive and joyful one. I really like the philosophy behind the method, it makes a lot of sense to me to change the way we perceive pain.

Of course pain-free is always a plus!
#2 of 106 Old 02-05-2009, 04:21 PM

I teach HypnoBirthing and I think it's fabulous, but of course I'm a bit biased I haven't used it on my own birth...I didn't know about it 5 yrs ago and now that I do I'll be using it for my upcoming birth.

If you join a class, you can watch the videos the Hypnobirths are truly amazing. I can't wait to relax during labor. It's going to be wonderful...

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
#3 of 106 Old 02-05-2009, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

So you've seen good results with your students? You sound very positive about your upcoming birth!
I've always trusted that the body is meant to give birth naturally, as my Mom gave birth to six kids at home, but she always spoke of it more as something to get through and THEN it's really awesome, rather than the whole thing being awesome. the idea of it being something so empowering really resonates with me
#4 of 106 Old 02-05-2009, 04:45 PM

I used hypnobabies and really loved it. It helped me remain really calm and happy while pregnant, and while I didn't have a pain free birth (it was induced, so I'm sure that had something to do with it) it helped me focus a lot during labor. I'm definitely using it next time as well.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#5 of 106 Old 02-05-2009, 04:45 PM

I did hypnobirthing with my third pregnancy and am doing it again this time. It didn't make the birth pain free, but it was very much more manageable than my previous labors. Labor really is something to get through, it WILL end and the second your baby is in your arms there is nothing but pure joy!
#6 of 106 Old 02-05-2009, 04:45 PM

Yes, really great results. Even with a few people who ended up having C-sections (some by choice) they have told me that they couldn't have gotten through it without HB.

I too feel that our bodies know what they are doing and if we relax we can open up and let our bodies work as they were meant to!

That said, I know what you mean about the way your mom feels. But this time I don't want to just "get through it" I actually plan to really enjoy it!

#7 of 106 Old 02-05-2009, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Dahlea,
I agree - just in the week or so that I've started listening to the CD, I've been really calm and in a good mood. I tend to worry a lot, so that is a big plus for me.
I guess that's a good sign!
#8 of 106 Old 02-05-2009, 05:17 PM

If you are going to take a class, check out your instructor. Bad experience here. I think the hypnobabies concept is sound though.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#9 of 106 Old 02-05-2009, 09:00 PM

I'm currently studying Hypnobabies, so I can't give you a testimony about birthing with it yet, but I can tell you that it is helping me tons with pain in my life. I have diverticulosis and I get severe abdominal cramping. When I use the HB techniques, it totally takes away the pain! Good luck with whatever you decide

Single Mom with a BF  stillheart.gif  Mommy to 2 girlsphotosmile2.gif blahblah.gif & 2 boys jog.gifsuperhero.gif nocirc.gif

wash.gif banghead.gif Using the Law of Attraction candle.gif om.gif Loving my Family  cat.gif 

#10 of 106 Old 02-05-2009, 09:15 PM

I did some research on both for home studies, and decided on Hypnobabies, because of two things:

1. Hypnobirthing seems (from what I've read and what other mamas have told me) to focus on painfree as being a natural state during labor, which IME, is not the case. Maybe for some mamas, but not for me.

Hypnobabies however, focuses on positive terminology and that hypnosis is a natural state.

To me, there's a key difference. One is basically dismissing experience with pain; the other is acknowledging the pain but encouraging ways to deal with it. Maybe that's subtle, but it's key to me. Hypnobabies focuses on hypnotic self-induced anesthesia, which not only is acknowledging there is pain but it's effectively arming you to deal with it yourself. That gives a greater sense of control, which is reassuring to me.

2. Hypnobirthing seems (again, from what I've read, etc.) to be better suited to a homebirth, or environment with fewer distractions.

Hypnobabies allows for the same level of hypnosis in an environment where you need to move and interact constantly as well as one with few distractions. For me, not having a homebirth, going to a birthing center/hospital, yet wanting to labor at home, and having a toddler here, I need something that accommodates lots of distractions. Hypnobabies trains you to deepen your hypnosis on two levels: one that's complete anesthesia from head to toe and the other is from above your breasts to your midthighs, which leaves you able to move freely and interact, etc.

I don't know if Hypnobirthing offers the same accommodation or not.

---

Now, that all sounds like Hypnobirthing isn't "as good as" Hypnobabies and whether that's the case or not, I haven't a clue, because I haven't studied Hypnobirthing. And taking a class can offer a very different experience with either of these techniques than home study, I'm sure. So that's something else to consider for sure, as PPs have pointed out.

But I will tell you that for the past few days I've been dealing with prodromal labor and when the contractions get intense, AUTOMATICALLY the Hypnobabies scripts start in my head and I start breathing and doing the techniques. It's been amazing really. I was totally caught off guard the first time it happened, but was thrilled, too.

I've been listening to the CDs from about 27 weeks on, and was able to get ahold of the written materials too, and while some of it is hokey (I think you'll find that with both), the basis is very sound and it has helped me sleep and relax so much better than I did last pregnancy. And from the experience I've had with contractions this week, and painful sacrum issues at night for months now, it's been very helpful there as well.

I'm quite confident that it will make a huge difference in my labor this time, and highly recommend Hypnobabies just based on the positive experience I've had thus far. That alone has been worth it.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#11 of 106 Old 02-05-2009, 09:20 PM

I used hypnobirthing with DD, and I wish I had done Hypnobabies because they acknowledge the pain associated with childbirth. It did hurt.

Also, just something to be aware of with hypnobirthing. They were very unwilling to even mention/discuss possibilities other than a perfect birth. No coverage of what to do or how to handle a medicated birth if that's what you end up with. DD was early because my water broke at 35 weeks. I was not at all prepared for that since the classes focused so firmly on everything going fine.

I really think it is a huge flaw with that program (I don't know how hypnobabies approaches that issue). I would have benefitted a lot from more information about how to deal with a medical/hospital birth. I was able to use the relaxation/hypnosis and it was extremely helpful. I think if they taught some about using it with medical intervention as a possibility it would have been a lot less emotionally traumatic for it to not go the way I envisioned.
#12 of 106 Old 02-05-2009, 11:54 PM

:
#13 of 106 Old 02-06-2009, 12:00 AM

I have some of the same concerns with it as veganone. I used Hypnobirthing with my second birth (had a private class with an instructor), and also ordered and listened to the Hypnobabies tapes. I felt really positive about it until I was actually in labor, and then I found that it hadn't prepared me for anything but a completely comfortable birth. It wasn't working, and I had nothing else to fall back on, so I ended up feeling out of control. Our instructor had never given birth, and her view seemed to be that if you were doing it "right", everything would be peachy, just like on the videos. Even the fact that I had thrown up in transition with my first birth, she attributed to me not being relaxed, rather than as a normal event in transition. (We took Bradley classes for our first birth, btw.)

In any case, for my third birth, I read a bunch of other books that depicted normal birth, and the various ways women cope: Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, Baby Catchers and Birthing from Within, and I was by far the most prepared with that birth. Of course, it was my third, and that helps, but for the first time I had a lot of strategies in my "bag" and I called on many of them during my labor (my third back labor), and felt really in control and like I was managing for the first time in any of my births. My husband had the (incorrect) impression that this labor was much easier than the others because I looked so relaxed, but it really felt just the same, I just handled it so much better.

I feel like somewhat the dissenting view here, but after my experience, I feel like I want to at least suggest reading some other things as well, so that you have more than one strategy to fall back on.
#14 of 106 Old 02-06-2009, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There's quite a few threads both here and in Birth and Beyond that discuss both methods, experiences with them, and the differences. Do a search of both forums and you'll find a lot of info. It helped me make my decision to use Hypnobabies.
#15 of 106 Old 02-06-2009, 11:37 AM

I did Hypnobirthing. Quite honestly, I find the whole "pain free" thing to be absurd. They claim "there is no reason" that we feel pain in birth. Really??? I think it quite makes sense that birthing hurts

However, I still REALLY enjoyed it. My teacher was fantastic and did a number of hypnosis sessions with us too to help me let go of any fear I had. I had pre-eclampsia, and when things started showing up and we realized that was what was happening, I got really freaked out. She did a session with me and in it said things like "I'm grateful to my body for carrying this baby" etc. It was SUCH a beautiful experience. I realized so many unconscious feelings of failure I was experiencing at that moment, and it was very healing/productive for me.

I found the nightly "rainbow relaxation" homework to be a wonderful way to prepare for my birth.

I listened to the birthing affirmations in labor and really liked them.

And since I had blood pressure issues, it was VERY helpful in the relaxation aspect. I listened to my rainbow relaxation MP3 as I was getting my BP checked and it REALLY helped.

So I think its a great experience, but take the "pain free" part with a grain of salt. Its a slippery slope because you don't wanna go in thinking "this is gonna hurt like hell" but if you have pain free expectations, I think you'll be really taken by surprise. I've met moms who felt even a little angry afterwards because they bought into the idea that it wouldn't hurt.

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#16 of 106 Old 02-06-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganone View Post
They were very unwilling to even mention/discuss possibilities other than a perfect birth. No coverage of what to do or how to handle a medicated birth if that's what you end up with. DD was early because my water broke at 35 weeks. I was not at all prepared for that since the classes focused so firmly on everything going fine.
ITA but I think the reason is that they think by talking about it, you are creating fear/thinking negatively etc. which will affect your outcome. KWIM? Of course, water breaking at 35 weeks has nothing to do with anything. But I'm thinking just in general about talking about medication, etc. They want you to be totally convinced mentally you don't need it. I've heard of so many different births, that I think its rather stupid to think EVERYONE will make it just fine if they think positively.

Although I ended up induced in the hospital with pre-e and I just used my rainbow relaxation, birthing affirmations, etc. as best I could. And my teacher was available to me all the time, so when things started to go south we had an "emergency session" for hypnosis which was the best part in retrospect. her support was wonderful.

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#17 of 106 Old 02-06-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplykate View Post
Have you had experience with both hypnobirthing and hypnobabies, and which did you prefer
I prefer Hypnobabies. I took HypnoBirthing classes with my second baby. While there were some good things there about relaxation and positive thoughts, I felt rather lost on what to actually do. I ordered Hypnobabies supplemental materials (which were fabulous) and used them for the bulk of my practice. I did have a wonderful, 5-hour, painfree labor at home.

Eventually I decided I wanted to teach childbirth education. I really wanted to teach Hypnobabies, since I had such a great experience, but they weren't certifying instructors at the time. I certified with HypnoBirthing and taught that for 2 years. My students had the difficulties discussed on this thread due to no hypno-anesthesia techniques, no consumer information, and the implication that anyone who experiences pain just didn't "do it right" or "try hard enough". That leaves women open to the idea that they failed, which is sad and ridiculous.

I switched to teaching Hypnobabies in 2006 and my students are having much easier births. They are not all totally comfortable (although many are), but even moms who had discomfort or pain tend to say that they felt very well prepared and are satisfied with their births. I think this has to do with the fact that Hypnobabies teaches hypno-anesthesia (rather than simple relaxation), Hypnobabies includes info on non-hypnosis ways of increasing comfort (your typical natural childbirth "pain-coping" techniques taught in a hypno-friendly way), Hypnobabies equips moms with ways to instantly enter hypnosis, and Hypnobabies gives students a script/recording to reinforce every technique that is taught. While Hypnobabies focuses on easier and more comfortable birth, the program does acknowledge that birth has variations. I've had some non-textbook labors (including one with a signification complication) and I am so very glad I had hypnosis skills to keep me calm, focused, and as comfortable as possible.

I wrote more about my views on the differences here: http://www.birthnaturally.org/hypnobirthing.htm

I love hypnosis for birth. I've used it for my last four babies after a very painful first birth. IMO, HypnoBirthing is better than no hypnosis and it does work well for some women, but I've found that Hypnobabies tends to be more effective for a larger percentage of moms.

You can read over 150 hypnosis birth stories here: http://www.pregnancybirthandbabies.c...th_stories.htm

In the end, you need to prepare in the way that feels right for you. Best wishes!

Homeschooling Mom of 5 dds reading.gif

Planning my fifth natural birth using Hypnobabies for baby boy coming in June 2012! nocirc.gif

#18 of 106 Old 02-06-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten View Post

1. Hypnobirthing seems (from what I've read and what other mamas have told me) to focus on painfree as being a natural state during labor, which IME, is not the case. Maybe for some mamas, but not for me.
Not true at all. We will NEVER tell you it's pain free. It even says in the opening statement of Hypnobirthing that we do not guarantee pain-free. We give you methods to COPE with the feelings you are having.

We choose not to use the word pain in general, because for one thing, if you think of pain, even if you are thinking of alleviating pain, your subconscious hears the word "pain" and that's what you get. Next, several people do not feel pain, so we're not going to tell you that you will.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

#19 of 106 Old 02-06-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethSLP View Post
I did Hypnobirthing. Quite honestly, I find the whole "pain free" thing to be absurd. They claim "there is no reason" that we feel pain in birth. Really??? I think it quite makes sense that birthing hurts

However, I still REALLY enjoyed it. My teacher was fantastic and did a number of hypnosis sessions with us too to help me let go of any fear I had. I had pre-eclampsia, and when things started showing up and we realized that was what was happening, I got really freaked out. She did a session with me and in it said things like "I'm grateful to my body for carrying this baby" etc. It was SUCH a beautiful experience. I realized so many unconscious feelings of failure I was experiencing at that moment, and it was very healing/productive for me.

I found the nightly "rainbow relaxation" homework to be a wonderful way to prepare for my birth.

I listened to the birthing affirmations in labor and really liked them.

And since I had blood pressure issues, it was VERY helpful in the relaxation aspect. I listened to my rainbow relaxation MP3 as I was getting my BP checked and it REALLY helped.

So I think its a great experience, but take the "pain free" part with a grain of salt. Its a slippery slope because you don't wanna go in thinking "this is gonna hurt like hell" but if you have pain free expectations, I think you'll be really taken by surprise. I've met moms who felt even a little angry afterwards because they bought into the idea that it wouldn't hurt.

XOXO
B
Any practitioner who tells you it will be pain-free must have fallen asleep in the training. Lol. We're advised never to say such things...it's just not true for everyone.

#20 of 106 Old 02-06-2009, 02:19 PM

I took the hypnobabies self study course and really enjoyed the whole thing. I liked the fact that it really was a full birthing course and felt totally prepared for every part of the birthing process. I also ended up having to be enduced so I guess the pressure waves were stronger than non induced ones. But it was all very managable. At the end I did use gas and air, but at no point was I scared or worried by the process at all. I remained calm at all times and pushed effectively and carefully to try not to tear. I realised the other day that I never experienced the 'ring of fire' don't know if most people do experience that but I didn't even realise she was crowning.

I can't recommend the course enough, I went into labour 3 weeks early and so hadn't had enough time to practice with my other half, but even without that much practice when he put a hand on my shoulder and said peace I did have a wave of relaxation. I also put on a relaxation essential oil when I listened to the CDs and yesterday when I was very upset just the smell of the oil reminded me of being relaxed and really helped.

My little girl passed away 3 weeks after the birth and I've decided to scatter her ashes at my special place used in the hypnosis.

I enjoyed the whole birthing so much (even despite the induction) I can't wait to be able to experience it again. Everything went smoothly but because I'd not practiced enough I did have pain and had to use gas an air, and I felt a bit annoyed with myself that I had actually not been able to go without. Next time I'll start sooner and be completely prepared a month ahead of the guess date.

Clare briefly mother for 3 weeks to Isabel 25-12-08, Soaking up every precious moment with my little guy Dec-10. My blog link is in my profile.

1********10**stork-suprise.gif ******20*********30*********40

#21 of 106 Old 02-06-2009, 02:23 PM

I took the Hypnobirthing class and I listened to the Hypnobabies CDs. I felt very relaxed and fear-free during my birth which I think helped it go as smoothly as possible. (My doula was also indispensable to the whole process.) The nurses were all amazed at how calm I was throughout the birth. I also have a pretty low pain tolerance and was able to do it med free.

I also read "Birthing from Within" which is a fabulous book, but I found the Hypno stuff to be more helpful. In BFW, she talks about ways of "managing" the pain and I just don't think that's possible. Completely surrendering to it was the only way to go for me. I felt like it was a hazing- preparing me for the constant surrender that is motherhood.

I'm pregnant with my second and I will definitely be using at least the CDs again. Best of luck to you for a smooth and happy birth!

Jen
#22 of 106 Old 02-06-2009, 02:36 PM

I used Hypnobirthing for my son's birth in December (he is my first and only so far, my birth story is posted in the Dec 08 DDC). I had an incredibly positive birth experience and definitely plan on using it again. I labored at home until 9 cm's, then went in and gave birth at the hospital with a midwife. I will definitely say that the skills I learned helped me through it. I stayed calm, trusted that my body knew what it was doing, and relaxed.

It was the most intense thing I've ever been through but I would certainly not call it painful. It was difficult (it is labor after all!) but it was not the painful experience everyone led me to believe. One thing that helped was if I "came out" of the relaxed state I was in my birth partner reassured me that I was doing great and helped me get back into the calm state.

I definitely recommend Hypnobirthing, but I think you have to go into learning about it with an open mind and believe that it will work. Picturing a positive birth helped create it. I know we can't control everything with our thoughts of course, but it worked for me.

Oh and they say Hypnobirthing babies are calm and don't cry as much. Not sure if that's always the case but it's true with my son. He only cries when I do something silly like clip his finger when trying to cut his nails!

#23 of 106 Old 02-06-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raene View Post
Not true at all. We will NEVER tell you it's pain free. It even says in the opening statement of Hypnobirthing that we do not guarantee pain-free. We give you methods to COPE with the feelings you are having.

We choose not to use the word pain in general, because for one thing, if you think of pain, even if you are thinking of alleviating pain, your subconscious hears the word "pain" and that's what you get. Next, several people do not feel pain, so we're not going to tell you that you will.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

All I was going by is what I've read from mamas who've used Hypnobirthing and it seems (unfortunately) fairly consistent that if things didn't go as planned -- and there was pain or something that wasn't expected -- they felt as if they'd failed or weren't prepared for it, as several mamas in this very thread have mentioned.

It's quite possible it's not the fault of Hypnobirthing as a course, being lacking somehow, but rather was due to faulty teaching or something. I don't know. But in my research and asking for feedback, the consistent comments regarding pain and failure were red flags to me and enough to make me choose Hypnobabies instead. I know labor hurts. I know it can be very unpredictable. I want to be armed to handle anything -- including vomiting nonstop for 20+ hours (which was my first labor).

Perhaps there's nothing that can fully prepare you for any situation, but based on the feedback I've gotten from other threads here and elsewhere, it seems Hypnobabies was a better fit in terms of being more accommodating to a variety of scenarios, including painful labors, which is what I tend to have.

It's nothing against Hypnobirthing nor anyone who teaches/uses it. It just wasn't as good a fit for my needs, based on what I'd read. The last thing I wanted was a repeat of my previous labor in terms of feeling unprepared.

But obviously it does work for some mamas and that's great.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#24 of 106 Old 02-06-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten View Post
It's quite possible it's not the fault of Hypnobirthing as a course, being lacking somehow, but rather was due to faulty teaching or something. I don't know. But in my research and asking for feedback, the consistent comments regarding pain and failure were red flags to me and enough to make me choose Hypnobabies instead. I know labor hurts. I know it can be very unpredictable. I want to be armed to handle anything -- including vomiting nonstop for 20+ hours (which was my first labor).
Honestly, when I taught HypnoBirthing and presented things the way Mongan taught us to at our training, I felt like I was telling women there is no physiological reason for birth pain. I think that's what Mongan believes. I think she thinks that women only feel pain because they expect to. (She also thinks that women only feel an urge to push because they've been told that they will. Ie. She doesn't think there's a physiological reason to push your baby out.) Therefore, any woman who does feel pain after taking HypnoBirthing did so because she willed it on herself. That's just not right and was a big reason why I chose to switch to teaching Hypnobabies instead.

Certainly expectation plays a role in what we experience, but it's unfair and inaccurate to imply that it is the major reason why women experience birth pain. HypnoBirthing also talks about fear/tension/pain, which definitely makes sense (Hypnobabies, Bradley, and other birth classes talk about this, too). I just think HypnoBirthing leaves a lot of mamas (mistakenly) feeling like they just didn't want it hard enough or do it right.... A mom could do everything "perfectly" and still have a more challenging birth than she anticipated (I'm one of those mamas, btw). That's another place I see Hypnobabies as being very valuable, since the techniques are adaptable to unique situations.

Homeschooling Mom of 5 dds reading.gif

Planning my fifth natural birth using Hypnobabies for baby boy coming in June 2012! nocirc.gif

#25 of 106 Old 02-06-2009, 04:32 PM

Interesting about your thoughts on "Birthing From Within".

I have always found that book to go against Hypnobirthing concepts b/c it is all about "being a fierce warrior and fighting the pain"...something I don't find relaxing to think about. However, I'll admit I have the book too! There are a few chapters that are more helpful to me.

#26 of 106 Old 02-06-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethSLP View Post

Although I ended up induced in the hospital with pre-e and I just used my rainbow relaxation, birthing affirmations, etc. as best I could. And my teacher was available to me all the time, so when things started to go south we had an "emergency session" for hypnosis which was the best part in retrospect. her support was wonderful.

XOXO
B
I had a teacher who made it clear that if you don't have the birth you envision, it is because you failed in the hypnobirthing process. I had a friend call her to tell her why we missed our final session (I gave birth) and never heard from her again.
#27 of 106 Old 02-06-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raene View Post
Any practitioner who tells you it will be pain-free must have fallen asleep in the training. Lol. We're advised never to say such things...it's just not true for everyone.
I guess my PP addresses this, but my impression was VERY different and much closer to what Beth said; that if you experience pain it's because you bring it on yourself.

My instructor trained with Mongan, so I don't believe it was lack of training. I think that's what Mongan's view really is.
#28 of 106 Old 02-06-2009, 06:01 PM

I took a HypnoBirthing class prior to my first birth. I ran into the same issues others have mentioned, plus some others. I found it useful in making me more optimistic about my birth being comfortable, but I left the final class feeling baffled about how to achieve that. I wound up using supplemental scripts designed for women who feel they need more after taking HypnoBirthing to prepare. Those scripts gave me some more powerful skills to use during the birth, so I managed to go med-free. But I had a long, complicated birth and within a few hours found that the only way I could remain focused and calm was to curl on my side with my eyes closed - not at all how I wanted to give birth. That inability to move around as my body wanted to really made the complications worse. But the thing that still irks me to this day is the fact that before signing up for the class, I spoke to the instructor several times about my expectations and the fact that I was looking for as complete an education as possible. She assured me that the class was a complete childbirth education class, and I wouldn't need to take any other classes or even read anything else. It wasn't until long after my birth that I began doing more reading and began to realize just how wrong she was. Much of the difficulty I experienced during my birth could have been eliminated or minimized with even basic knowledge of birth, but I didn't have it. I also had no understanding of potential interventions, so I could tell the staff that I didn't want interventions, but when things were no longer going "by the book", I was completely unable to have an intelligent conversation about my wishes, because I had never learned the risks I was supposed to be avoiding by not getting interventions. I honestly feel like I had a great birth despite taking the HypnoBirthing class. And when I talked to my instructor afterwards, she was happy for me about having a comfortable birth, but made it clear that I needed to study more next time, because the long, difficult birth I described made it clear I wasn't trying hard enough. Ironically, when she had her first child several months later, she wound up with a c-section due to FTP and actually apologized to me for her previous attitude, so it wasn't just my imagination that she thought that.

With my subsequent children, I ordered the Hypnobabies Home Study program, and can't say enough wonderful things about it. Within 30 minutes of opening the book, I had learned more about hypnosis and birth than I had gotten out of the entire HypnoBirthing class. I was shocked to learn how very little I actually knew about birth, despite the previous class. I was also surprised that the Hypnobabies home study was actually much more thorough, easy to follow and far easier to learn than the HypnoBirthing class I had taken. But the true test was my birth - I was totally blown away by how much easier it was to use the skills I had learned through Hypnobabies. I remember during my first birth, it felt like I needed a crane or an act of God to change my position even slightly. But with Hypnobabies, I was not only completely active the whole time (except when I napped) - it felt GOOD and easy to move around. I stayed at work for a full day, even though I was well into my birthing time. I came home, had dinner and then happily worked on taxes while calling out my waves to my husband so he could time them for a couple hours so I wouldn't have to do taxes with a newborn (or risk letting my husband attempt them - he's brilliant but not so good with numbers). Then when things became really intense and I couldn't sit there any more, I went to bed and slept soundly for 4 hours. When I woke up, I decided it was time to head to the birth center and arrived 20 minutes later, fully dilated. Now, I did experience one of the same complications from my first birth at that time, and began having intense back labor that turned into a uterine spasm (like a constant birthing wave with no break). So I waited a few hours until that let up before I pushed him out. But I still can't say how incredibly easy it seemed to handle even something like that using my Hypnobabies self-hypnosis and hypno-anesthesia skills, rather than trying to do it with the HypnoBirthing relaxation approach. I could move around as my body needed me to, which helped relieve the intensity and shorten the experience. Plus, I had learned all about natural childbirth through Hypnobabies, and knew all the typical ncb "tricks" to staying comfortable and moving the birth along. That knowledge would have helped so much with my first birth!

I think HypnoBirthing means well, and I know that having any additional relaxation training will make a woman's birth better than it would be without any. But I still think there are very few, if any instances where someone would be better served by taking a HypnoBirthing class rather than doing Hypnobabies (Home Study or Live Class). If you're going to take the time to prepare, it just makes far more sense to me to spend that time preparing completely. In my experience, there is really no comparison between the two as far as the level of preparedness and effectiveness goes.
#29 of 106 Old 02-06-2009, 09:03 PM

Okay, I did a sort of minimal hypnobirthing class with my first pg. I had a hospital induction for being "post dates" and I definitely do not remember it hurting (although at the time it may have), I just remember it being so intense that I really had to go into myself and focus. Hospitals don't like to wait around to see what happens for very long after they batter you and your baby with pitocin for 8 hours, so I ended up getting a c/s. :::

This time, I took a much more informative (Hypnobirthing) class taught by a hb mw instead of a hospital employee. I really liked the class, and I liked having an instructor there to ask questions and to teach us everything. It wasn't as cheap as hypnobabies (which I believe is being sued by the hypnobirthing people for illegedly stealing their content, btw) but it was worth the money to have hands on instruction. I'm planning an hbac waterbirth this time, and I am getting pretty excited about it.

Anyway, if you don't care whether or not you go to an actual class, I'm sure either one is probably going to really help you (if you practice!) when you need it most.
#30 of 106 Old 02-06-2009, 09:45 PM

I used HypnoBirthing for my 2nd baby and Hypnobabies for my 3rd. I felt like Hypnobabies had a LOT more tools and I had a very comfortable birth. You can read my comparison of the two programs here.
http://www.pregnancybirthandbabies.c...pnoclasses.htm

You can also see my birth video on that site too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page