radiation in utero & childhood cancer - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-06-2009, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering when/if it is ``safe" to travel internationally while pregnant and I found this (at http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/1031002608.html)

``Airport security radiation exposure is minimal for pregnant women and has not been linked to an increase in adverse outcomes for unborn children to date. However, because of early reports of a possible association of radiation exposure during pregnancy and subsequent increased risk of childhood leukemia and cancer, a pregnant passenger may request a hand or wand search rather than being exposed to the radiation of the airport security machines."

This is our third baby (BIG SURPRISE) and I did not know that you can ask for a wand search while pregnant!

Anyway, I am concerned because about 2 weeks after conception I had a Pipida scan to figure out why I had a pain on my right side (they thought that it was my gallbladder). The scan came back normal, but I know I was injected a radioactive substance that emits gamma rays. When I asked my obgyn about the outcome for the baby, he said that the baby either will be fine or I will miscarry. Now I see that down the road things may not be so good for the baby and I start to worry again. I read some abstract of papers and it looks like (from 1950 ) they knew about a possible association between radiation exposure in utero and childhood cancers (in particular, leukemia). Do these doctors even go to med school anymore?

Does anyone here know anything about the radiation level during the Pipida scan? I found somewhere the ``dangerous levels" and I want to see where
the baby and I were. I may try to call the doctor, but he was pretty useless so far and I doubt that he will find something trustworthy.

Thank you!

Mom to DS (04) , DD ( 07) , DS ( 09)
#2 of 2 Old 02-06-2009, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't know. I did read that PG people aren't to be around chemo patients. My MIL may be taking therapy and hasn't said anything. I made a point to tell FIL that if she was having chemo she needed to tell me because she may be harming her own grandson.

I imagine its one of those things that you should avoid if you can, but if you can't you can't and there is no reason that you should beat yourself up over it.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page