smoking pot while pregnant.. is it safe? - Page 10 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#271 of 292 Old 02-13-2009, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
I eat sushi while pg too. And eat soft cheese too. And deli meats. And my kids are unvaxed. And they play in the dirt
totally must be a "bipolar thing"
Alphaghetti likes this.

Different drummer dancing with 3 kids in 3 decades.
#272 of 292 Old 02-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt_phoenix View Post
totally must be a "bipolar thing"
#273 of 292 Old 02-13-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizawill View Post
i have yet to hear of someone in western civilization die from morning sickness. my midwive gave me amazing remedies and ideas to deal with my sickness, and they helped me a great deal. in fact, i was even able to have more than one child, lol. but seriously...as i said previously, i don't care who smokes what - but in answer to this thread, i do not think getting high while pregnant is alright. i just don't. i know that pisses some people off, but i'm okay with that.
I know I haven't read everything, and really my opinion on smoking or consuming pot while pg in one way, shape or form to deal with MS has got to be better then what I just went through being on reglan and phenergan for nausea. I was a complete and total idiot on the medication, couldn't think properly, couldn't drive, couldn't hold a conversation with my children, and really, it didn't even stop the puking.

BUT I did want to answer say something to this, my sisters best friend (and this is a woman I have known since she was 4 so that is 23 years) almost did die, but her baby did die. Mom went into completely organ shut down from her HG, this was after 2 months of hospitalization. She lost 50 lbs, her body was shutting down and in the end, at 15 weeks her baby died. All due to her morning sickness. Mom was on her death bed and by a miracle she survived.

Now for her, she DID try pot with the advice of her Dr., and with the support of her family members. It didn't help her, BUT, if she gets pg again, that will be the only thing she will use, as it was the ONLY thing that even remotely helped. She couldn't use it in the hospital though. The zofran, phenergan etc didn't even touch her sickness.

So YES, people have died, it might have only been the baby and not the mom, but there was still a life that ended and mom almost died.
#274 of 292 Old 02-13-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogger View Post
I know I haven't read everything, and really my opinion on smoking or consuming pot while pg in one way, shape or form to deal with MS has got to be better then what I just went through being on reglan and phenergan for nausea. I was a complete and total idiot on the medication, couldn't think properly, couldn't drive, couldn't hold a conversation with my children, and really, it didn't even stop the puking.

BUT I did want to answer say something to this, my sisters best friend (and this is a woman I have known since she was 4 so that is 23 years) almost did die, but her baby did die. Mom went into completely organ shut down from her HG, this was after 2 months of hospitalization. She lost 50 lbs, her body was shutting down and in the end, at 15 weeks her baby died. All due to her morning sickness. Mom was on her death bed and by a miracle she survived.

Now for her, she DID try pot with the advice of her Dr., and with the support of her family members. It didn't help her, BUT, if she gets pg again, that will be the only thing she will use, as it was the ONLY thing that even remotely helped. She couldn't use it in the hospital though. The zofran, phenergan etc didn't even touch her sickness.

So YES, people have died, it might have only been the baby and not the mom, but there was still a life that ended and mom almost died.
Actually, I was just reading a couple of days ago, on a site about HG, the story of a man whose wife did die from HG- along with their twin girls. It wasn't all that long ago either.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#275 of 292 Old 02-13-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Actually, I was just reading a couple of days ago, on a site about HG, the story of a man whose wife did die from HG- along with their twin girls. It wasn't all that long ago either.
That is really sad. I would do anything in my power to save my babies. Even if it was something that most people didn't agree with.

I didn't have HG, luckily we figured out that my problem was actually my gallbladder, since surgery I have been feeling awesome, but even there. Many people would think it was insane to have surgery while pg and even take, Morphine for the pain. I did what I had to do, and if a momma has to smoke pot to do what she has to do for herself and her baby, more power to her.

Medicine IS useful and the method and type of medicine people take has to be decided by the mommas. I took pharmacuticals and felt HORRIBLE, others smoke pot and feel awesome. Who is the smarter person there? I am just a chicken and living in military housing makes it difficult since it is illegal.
#276 of 292 Old 02-13-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbsmama View Post
And as for the foggy haze, that's just your experience, not everyone's. Not everyone reacts to it the same. Pot has been used for many many many many years to enlighten one's mind and soul, not just to get wasted, yet another stereotype!
Yup. For a long time, pot just settled down my temper (really bad in my youth), and stopped me from wanting to die. It's only other noticeable effect was that I slept better. Eventually, I started getting kind of paranoid - not in a "people are out to get me" kind of way, but more a "everyone's looking at me, and they all know I'm ripped (or what I'm thinking" kind of way. It was unpleasant, so I quite the weed.

OTOH, I had a friend years ago who was just unbelievably creative and a truly gifted painter. He used to smoke up before he started painting...and said he loved the effect pot had on him when he was doing "detail" work (such as the spirals of dots he used to use for visual effect), because it helped him stay focused on the overall vision, instead of losing himself in the tedium of dot...dot...dot...dot...dot. He had a full-time job at which he excelled, and was a very active, involved father of three (who also did at least his share of the cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt_phoenix View Post
If someone is doing nothing BUT sitting around stoning, there is something deeper going on than the stoning, I can assure you. The same might be said for someone that sits on the computer all day. Shall we make computers illegal? Call them UNSAFE?
:
I know all about that. I mean - check out my post count, despite having two young children at home, plus a teenager. I spend way too much time here, but it's not because the computer is so incredibly addictive. It's because I'm ducking out of dealing with real life, which has been too overwhelming for me for much of the last few years. When I was younger, I crawled into a book, or occasionally into music (playing the same CD over and over and over, while singing along and tuning out everything else). I still do both of those occasionally...but now I mostly use the computer. And, fwiw...my ex did this with videogames, as well as with pot...anything to keep him away from dealing with real life.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#277 of 292 Old 02-18-2009, 05:48 PM

I am so glad that I wasn't able to get to a computer for the past week to read some of this stuff. I also find that many comments made were extremely judgemental and down right mean. Being afraid of persecution is the reason why most women will not admit to use, and apparently even in a environment where we felt "safe", we were still attacked. In my PP, I clearly stated that I had tried the OTC, Pharms, & other herbs recommended.... none of these worked for me and I lost 5 babies from HG. FIVE!! The beautiful girl I have now is perfectly healthy and far advanced for her age. FAR advanced.

As for the recommendation of BuSpar:
Pregnancy Category B: No fertility impairment or fetal damage was observed in reproduction studies performed in rats and rabbits at buspirone doses of approximately 30 times the maximum recommended human dose. In humans, however, adequate and well-con-trolled studies during pregnancy have not been performed. Because animal reproduction studies are not always predictive of human response, this drug should be used during pregnancy only if clearly needed.

Labor and Delivery
The effect of BuSpar (buspirone hydrochloride) on labor and delivery in women is unknown. No adverse effects were noted in reproduction studies in rats.

Nursing Mothers
The extent of the excretion in human milk of buspirone or its metabolites is not known. In rats, however, buspirone and its metabolites are excreted in milk. BuSpar administration to nursing women should be avoided if clinically possible.

Personally, I don't trust studies on rats and my baby is not a rat. I tried BuSpar before becoming pregnant and it tore up my body and shut down my mind. (yes, it gave me the runs.) So, no, this was not an option for me. Thank you for the suggestion.

I think that maybe the point that most people have the problem with is the actual smoking, which is not the only way to ingest the herb.... and it seems that most of us on here agree that smoking while pg is not good. But, a different delivery other than smoking is a safer alternative.

As for the 40+ yr old loser scenario, I do believe it is something other than MJ that causes that. It is quite surprising to "unbelievers" that most of the most successful people have some occasional MJ. It has to do with the amount of dedication a person has. The ones I know who own their OWN businesses use MJ to help relieve the stress, lessen back and muscle pain from working so darn hard, or many other reasons. But, the fact remains that they are the boss, the owner, the person who makes it happen. MJ does not make a couch potato....

For me, a little MJ ingested is always better than a dead baby.
#278 of 292 Old 02-18-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiandmoi View Post
Would you give a baby MJ?
um, no, but i also wouldn't give a baby antidepressants. and i took those while pregnant. taking it yourself does not = giving it straight to your baby. if it did, i doubt the human race would even be here.

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#279 of 292 Old 02-18-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoretica View Post
I've genuinely *never* heard of a baby born addicted to marijuana. Never.

Crack? Yes. Heroin? Yes. Cigarette withdrawl? Yes.

But not marijuana.

I could be wrong, entirely possible, I'm just saying I've never heard of it.
maybe because MJ isnt physically addictive

can't believe i'm only on page 2 and already this thread is making my head spin!

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#280 of 292 Old 02-18-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raene View Post
Smoking's bad for the lungs...at least if you're going to ingest marijuana while preg, you could eat it...brownies, anyone??! :
do you/have you actually used marijuana? because lemme tell you, all the times i ever ate it, i got WAAAAY more effed up than when i smoked. i would not want to be that "altered" while pregnant.

#281 of 292 Old 02-18-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readytobedone View Post
maybe because MJ isnt physically addictive
Entirely my point

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#282 of 292 Old 02-18-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
What I saw you say is the opposite of what I heard from the time I got diagnosed, Talula Fairie, hence my last comment. I'm sorry that you were hurt by my words, it was not my intention, but I will not change the comment since that is still how I see it since that was my experience.
At no point did I say anyone was "the definition of mental illness". What I did say is that telling someone to keep doing something that's obviously not working is the definition of mentally ill.
I still don't feel that I was disrespectful towards you. I do think there was some misunderstanding though about what I said.
How could someone NOT be confused by what you said here? I know the phrase that you're trying to quote:

"The definition of mentally ill [insanity] is when that person continues to do the same thing while expecting different results."

But that is NOT what you inferred at all!

Ali - Wife to Steve and mom to Zoe - age 7, and Ezra - 17 months (9/2009)
#283 of 292 Old 02-18-2009, 10:15 PM

My mother smoked pot with both myself and my younger sister. We were both in perfect health and never experienced even ONE severe or even slightly serious illness our entires lives. I also never even suffered a cavity! I have never broken a bone, and both my sister and I have higher than average test scores and IQ levels. We were ahead of our classes, and even though 12 years apart (and my sister being a homebirth to my mother of 33 with no prenatal testing or so much as a midwifes visit until her 7th month) are very VERY intune with each other and our mother.
I don't smoke, however. But if I decided I would want to, that would be entirely my choice based on my own experience. I am not saying every child will be as lucky as my sister and I , but with our cousins, and close family friends being perfectly healthy as well I can only speak from my own life.
Every mother is free to make her own decisions on the well being of her child, unborn or not. I don't understand the uppity opinions people have sometimes based entirely on public opinion rather than personal.
Sorry if this comes off as harsh, and this will always be an incredibly heated debate, but in my own opinion smoking pot is not going to harm your baby (unless your smoking is literally a habit not unlike smoking cigarettes, and you are breathing in smoke more often than oxygen!!!! ahah)

Married to my best friend, and favorite person in the world... Proud 1st time mama to our son, Conway James. Born July 29th!::::
#284 of 292 Old 02-18-2009, 11:06 PM

I have to say that I was so sick for the first four months of pregnancy, that if I had kept feeling like that I was thinking about getting hold of some pot to see if it helped. I've only tried it once or twice during my college years, as it never held much attraction for me. I was at the point that I believe it would have been healthier to smoke pot and feel better than to be so sick as to not be able to eat or move for five more months. Of course I would have researched it more, but I think I would have felt more comfy with that than with a highly chemical prescription drug. That being said, I'm from the camp that believes in moderation. I've taken baths all during pregnancy as a form of pain control, HAD to take tylenol as a form of pain control, AND I drink a cup of coffee a day ( that started as a form of pain control too). My midwife approved all of these.
I would TOTALLY and COMPLETELY understand someone who chose to smoke pot for something like HG. If you haven't been there you just don't know how insanely horrible it is!
Just my two cents
#285 of 292 Old 02-18-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommal View Post
I'm curious:

1. What sort of marijuana use is acceptable in pregnancy? Only therapeutic, or is recreational use also acceptable?

well, personally i think if one is morally okay, the other has to be too. i mean, assuming you are using mairjuana in similar ways, at similar dosages. because to say taking 2 tokes twice a week is fine if you're throwing up a lot otherwise, but it's not if you're just nauseated all the time...i mean, really. who cares? if it's safe in moderate amounts, it's safe. and to stigmatize the "recreational" users is just puritanical nonsense.
2. For those of you who use pot, how did you determine what level of use was “safe” during pregnancy?
despite being fine with pot use during pregnancy, i actually haven't used it.
3. What sort of pot do you use? Home-grown, or just what the market has to offer? If you don’t use organic home-grown pot, are you at all concerned about what it might be contaminated with?
i think the argument that pot is only okay when you know the source 100%, blah blah blah, is kind of ridiculous. great in theory, but almost impossible to live that way. most people don't know the source of their sushi grade tuna, but if they're told it's sushi grade tuna by a reputable tuna dealer (aka grocer, fish market person), then they trust that.

4. Why would a drug derived from an herb be safer than medications synthesized in a lab? Do you think that man-made molecules are inherently less safe than those derived from natural sources?
i have no opinion on what's safer between a drug derived from pot and pot itself. i just say, since pot is safe, why bother making a drug, unless it's just to placate people who are tsk-tsking anyone getting "high."

I have no quibble with those who say that pot is useful in treating their hyperemesis or their anxiety or whatever debilitating condition they’re suffering from. Nor do I think- on a gut level- that pot is particularly dangerous. But to me it seems hypocritical to claim that marijuana is indisputably safe during pregnancy when:

1. You have no idea what it might be contaminated with (unless you grew it yourself).

what do you think it is generally contaminated with? and let me ask, if pot is usually full of like clorox, then how on earth could a drug dealer keep selling bad pot? wouldn't his clientele go find better pot elsewhere? just sayin. if you go to a reputable source, or one you've used or someone you know has used, you don't really need to worry about bad stuff. the dealer samples it, believe me
2. No one really knows what pot does to the developing fetus.
i don't know what string cheese does to fetuses either. or fox news. or snickers bars.

3. Some of the studies on how pot affects adult people are mixed, with some finding negative health impacts. Would anyone defend aspirin as ardently as some here have defended pot if the data on safety were as mixed?

Just to illustrate that final point, some more anti-pot study abstracts follow:

- Effects of frequent marijuana use on memory-related regional cerebral blood flow. Block et. al. Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior. Vol. 72, Iss. 1-2. May 2002, Pages 237-250. Concludes that there are “altered memory-related brain function in marijuana users.”

- Cannabis use and risk of psychotic or affective mental health outcomes: a systematic review. Moore et. al. Lancet. 2007 Jul 28;370(9584):319-28. Found “increased risk of psychotic outcomes independently of confounding and transient intoxication effects” and despite “uncertainty about whether cannabis causes psychosis [which] is unlikely to be resolved by further longitudinal studies” was able to “conclude that there is now sufficient evidence to warn young people that using cannabis could increase their risk of developing a psychotic illness later in life.”

- Heavy marijuana users show increased serum apolipoprotein C-III levels: evidence from proteomic analyses. Jayanthi et. al. Psychiatry 13 May 2008. Found that marijuana use was associated with increased levels of a protein associated with cardiovascular risks.
i think most studies showing MJ in moderation has ill effects are completely bogus.* yeah, i just said that and i'm not even a pothead--haven't partaken in nearly 3 years, since before conceiving DD.

*well, almost completely bogus. i totally get the angle of it makes some people's depression/anxiety worse, some better. or schizophrenia, it can be dangerous. i feel ya! but for a normal person, i just don't think it's bad for you, physically speaking. can be bad mentally speaking (as in psychologically addictive), but then again, so is the SIMS!!!

#286 of 292 Old 02-18-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoretica View Post
Entirely my point
oh yeah, mama, i knew you knew that. i was just saying it for the benefit of others who seem confused!

#287 of 292 Old 02-18-2009, 11:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by readytobedone View Post
do you/have you actually used marijuana? because lemme tell you, all the times i ever ate it, i got WAAAAY more effed up than when i smoked. i would not want to be that "altered" while pregnant.
I think that's definitely true as when you eat MJ your liver converts it into a substance that's a hallucinogen.

That said, it DOES depend on how much you ingest, and how the item was prepared. When I was a teen, I've ate a small pot cookie before and wasn't messed up at all. Another time, I ate a huge pot brownie and was very altered.
#288 of 292 Old 02-21-2009, 12:45 AM

I would prefer not to smoke Herb during pregnancy, to take good care of my health. I vaporize. You can also make very nice tinctures out of it, a very nice way to use it healthfully, medicinally...and use the proper dosages so you don't have to get "effed up" if that's not your intention. I have epilepsy and am using it medicinally for that disorder.
#289 of 292 Old 02-21-2009, 12:47 AM
Banned

A pot tincture! That's brilliant! Why did I not think of that? (not that I smoke pot, but if I were going to use it medicinally....that's a great idea). If only it were legal.
#290 of 292 Old 02-21-2009, 12:49 AM

Safe compared to what?

Cigarettes - yep, pot is safer. Alcohol - well, I'm from Europe, no one stops drinking just because they're pregnant. A glass of wine here and there is both safe and normal. A whole continent can't be wrong.

Otherwise, I haven't read anything about pot smoking being harmful to the baby.

Would I do it? No. But, I smoke pot like once a year, maybe. So it's not like I'd be sacrificing anything.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#291 of 292 Old 02-21-2009, 05:39 PM

everything i have read says it is perfectly safe in moderation. smoking is smoking though. the smoke itself has stuff in it. although it has a lot less stuff than cigarette smoke. have you ever read about how many man made chemicals are in cigarettes? its crazy!

I reccomend a vaporizer if you can afford it. if you cant, then use in moderation. I also reccomend quitting at least 2 months before birth if you live in a state where they test babies first poop. in my state, if you have any posession charges or CPS cases, they will automatically test babies first poop.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#292 of 292 Old 02-21-2009, 05:46 PM

I haven't read all the responses but I had to chime in. I have a cannabis perscription for anxiety, pain and PMS issues since 215 went into effect in California. I have medical records that I kept myself dating back to when I was 16 years old. I am a responsible adult, two children and have been a teacher and married to the same man for 18 years. I smoked during both my pregnancies, but only when necessary. The severe anger and anxiety that I experienced were not good for me or the baby in both cases. In limited amounts, the cannibis was very helpful. In one case in particular, after my amniocentisis with my second child, I was on bed rest for 48 hours. I felt fine but when I eventually got vertical, I began to experience severe cramping and was afraid that I would have yet another miscarriage. I had had two in the previous 8 months. At 38 years old, the fear and stress, with the cramping caused a situation that could have resulted in a trip to the ER and many unnecessary interventions that would have been far more dangerous to the baby than the cannabis. Twenty minutes after vaporizing cannabis, I felt fine. The cramping stopped, the anxiety stopped and the fear subsided. I have read the studies about Jamaican women, I have read the lists of drugs that are considered "safe" during pregnancy and my opinion is that the ability to self regulate the dosage of cannabis makes it the more attractive option from a medicinal perspective.

************************************************** *****************************************

Now that I've read all of the posts, I'm saddened that people are so seemingly angry at one another over this issue. We all make different birthing and parenting choices. I disagree with all sorts of things that other mothers do and perhaps they disagree with my choices. Yet I'd like to believe that we all have our children's best interests at heart. Also, we are all empirical beings, have experienced all sorts of different lives and have divergent reactions to those experiences. Tempers here have flared and not for the best reasons. I would hope that we could all find a way to agree to disagree rather than pass judgement and make assumptions when we have not "walked in another's shoes." If we had, perhaps we would make alternative choices as well.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page