smoking pot while pregnant.. is it safe? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#61 of 292 Old 02-10-2009, 10:38 PM
 
Storm Bride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 27,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA'sMama View Post
I am sorry you find that laughable. But whatever you take the baby takes you should not take cold and flu meds while pregnant because it is not good for the baby why would pot be any better?
Blowing a hit in the baby's face also exposes them to the smoke itself, not just the drug.

Quote:
If it is under a doctors supervision and you are not getting it off the streets.
A doctor's supervision? Why? People can educate themselves about the risks and benefits.

Quote:
Also at one point drinking while pregnant was accepted and there used to be no cause for concern then in the late 70's that changed
Yeah - it changed once they did some studies, unlike the pot situation, where the condemnation isn't backed by research. Even the anti-alcohol thing is over the top.

Quote:
just like cigs. that use to be fine and look what they found out! Don't you believe that pot would have the same if not more of an affect?
Pot has been studied. Cigarettes hadn't at that time, and what studies had been done were by the tobacco companies and were suppressed. While I'm very hesitant to trust studies in some ways, there's a big difference between "this has been studied and it's safe" and "nobody sees a problem with it". It's like epidurals in labour - just because lots of people do it, doesn't mean it's been proven safe. When there have been some studies done, that's different - maybe not entirely conclusive, but different.

Quote:
She was offered pot by her girlfriend and my mother said she could not do that she would rather throw up and be sick the whole time than risk her children. some could argue that we did not get essental vitamin and minerals and if she smoke we would have but the doctor watched her and did extra sonorgrams to make sure we developed on target and we did and here we are many years later.
Extra sonograms also haven't been studied and proven safe. I really don't care what choice a woman makes in that situation, but saying "I won't smoke pot when I'm throwing up all the time" is choosing to risk nutritional deficiencies, instead of risk the exposure to drugs. It's not about not taking risks - it's about choosing which risk.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Storm Bride is offline  
#62 of 292 Old 02-10-2009, 10:39 PM
 
wiksty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Surely there are already enough replies to this entry, but I'm just now seeing the post, so...

I wouldn't do it, personally, because I wouldn't want there to be any possibility of it negatively effecting my unborn child. It's not that long...ten months. Take a break and start back up again once you deliver, if you must. Your lungs will thank you anyway *winks*

All the reading I've done on smoking pot while nursing proves it safe.
wiksty is offline  
#63 of 292 Old 02-10-2009, 10:57 PM
 
SunShineSally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In the land of NO punctuation.!,?':
Posts: 2,975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
Blowing a hit in the baby's face also exposes them to the smoke itself, not just the drug.


A doctor's supervision? Why? People can educate themselves about the risks and benefits.


Yeah - it changed once they did some studies, unlike the pot situation, where the condemnation isn't backed by research. Even the anti-alcohol thing is over the top.


Pot has been studied. Cigarettes hadn't at that time, and what studies had been done were by the tobacco companies and were suppressed. While I'm very hesitant to trust studies in some ways, there's a big difference between "this has been studied and it's safe" and "nobody sees a problem with it". It's like epidurals in labour - just because lots of people do it, doesn't mean it's been proven safe. When there have been some studies done, that's different - maybe not entirely conclusive, but different.


Extra sonograms also haven't been studied and proven safe. I really don't care what choice a woman makes in that situation, but saying "I won't smoke pot when I'm throwing up all the time" is choosing to risk nutritional deficiencies, instead of risk the exposure to drugs. It's not about not taking risks - it's about choosing which risk.


I respectfully agree to disagree with you and thankl you for the debate I haven't had one in a long time (it was kindda fun) I see your point I just do not agree and the reson for the doctors supervision is because the only reason I feel a pregnant Mama should use pot is for madisonal (again i can not spell I don't feel like useing spell check .) reasons ie:MS, arthritis,and so on and I think that type of use should be allowed everywhere not just in some states my grandfather was going through chemo and he would have greatly benifited from some pot but he wouldn't let anyone get it for him. that is just MY thoughts and feelings I do respect yours and all the other Mamas thoughts even the one I donot agree with that is why I love MDC because we all have different thoughts and opions and we can all express them together.

Karen

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

 

Quote:
 

 

SunShineSally is offline  
#64 of 292 Old 02-10-2009, 11:07 PM
 
herbanmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: over yonder
Posts: 552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was a single mom from day 1 with dd#1. Biodad dumped me when I came up pregnant and he harassed me in ways unimaginable - to pressure me into having an abortion, then to make me feel like sh*t after I chose to have the baby. I was an absolute wreck. One of the things which relieved my anxiety was occasional MJ use. In my mind, the anxiety and stress I was experiencing was much more toxic than the few hits of organic MJ I occasionally medicated myself with. It allowed me to dissect my thoughts and emotions, calm down, and actually relax and be a semi-happy mama. Yeah - I admit it. I self-medicated. Judge me as you will, but I stand my my decision. As the pregnancy progressed, my natural coping mechanisms improved, and I pretty much quit smoking it altogether as a part of the natural progression.

I'd like to say that I went on to have a lovely homebirth. Dd has always been very healthy, is a talented dancer and artist, creative on all levels, compassionate and sensitive, in the gifted and talented program, and her test scores place her at a post-high school level (I know...test scores shmest shmores, but it backs up my counter-point) in reading and language arts. She is in the 4th grade.

10 years later, I am now married and 31 weeks pregnant with dd #2. I have not felt compelled to use MJ during this pregnancy as the desire is not there. But if I had morning sickness, I'd have used it rather than zofran or whatnot. If something tragic happened in my life and it was affecting the vibes my baby was receiving, I'd sooner reach for MJ than anti-depressants or pharmaceutical options.

As for my decision to use MJ during my first pregnancy, I'd no sooner expect to be judged than I'd judge another mama for eating fast food, drinking diet soda, having a medicated birth, or any other decision that I may personally not make. The difference here is that we have been culturally conditioned to accept that fast food, diet soda, medicated birth, etc. are okay but MJ is not in any situation.
herbanmama is offline  
#65 of 292 Old 02-10-2009, 11:10 PM
 
Storm Bride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 27,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA'sMama View Post
...and the reson for the doctors supervision is because the only reason I feel a pregnant Mama should use pot is for madisonal (again i can not spell I don't feel like useing spell check .) reasons ie:MS, arthritis...
Even if I were using pot for that kind of thing, I probably wouldn't do it under a doctor's supervision. Doctors aren't gods, and I'm just as capable of researching the positives and negatives as they are.

However, I also agree to disagree. It has been a pleasant debate.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Storm Bride is offline  
#66 of 292 Old 02-10-2009, 11:16 PM
 
kriket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 4,790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg784 View Post
lets not forget about the myth Ive already dispelled in this thread. MJ is not addicting, Google it for studies, theres LOTS on this one. so even if youre a recreational user who does indeed smoke to get high, I dont think its right to call them an addict.

Agree with the rest of your post though.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Just wanted to say by the way its has been a LONG time since there was a civil mj debate/swap of information here at mdc, usually it gets nasty and heated and ends up deleted. Thanks to all of you for posting concerns opinions questions and facts in such a UA friendly manner! :
it has been a while!

I probably should have been clearer about "if you smoke to get high you're an addict." If you smoke for the high you're searching for a high, not relief, or relaxation and are on the road to drug abuse. Just like if you drink to get drunk, you're on the road to alcoholism. sorry should have been more clear!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

kriket is offline  
#67 of 292 Old 02-10-2009, 11:23 PM
 
SunShineSally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In the land of NO punctuation.!,?':
Posts: 2,975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
Even if I were using pot for that kind of thing, I probably wouldn't do it under a doctor's supervision. Doctors aren't gods, and I'm just as capable of researching the positives and negatives as they are.

However, I also agree to disagree. It has been a pleasant debate.

Trust me I do not listen to half of the this my Doctor or my sons Ped tells me I honestly think they think they are Gods gift (at least mine do) However I do love my naturalpath she is a sweetie and I do not listen to her all the time

well thanks again for the debate (I just had to add that about the Docs ) By the way I love your username

Karen

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

 

Quote:
 

 

SunShineSally is offline  
#68 of 292 Old 02-10-2009, 11:36 PM
 
geekgolightly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: on top of a very lovely mountain
Posts: 1,707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
Well, I don't really care, because you couldn't pay me to smoke pot at this time in my life. I have a very real, but totally irrational, antipathy towards the stuff.

However, while your above point may be true, it's also true that every sanctimonious lawmaker who participates in the "war on drugs" and refuses to legalize marijuana is also contributing to the death industry. Many of them aren't doing so out of a desperate attempt to self-medicate for mental health issues (which is why I originally started smoking pot) or deal with pain or nausea or whatever. They're doing so because they can't be bothered to look outside the box and even contemplate the idea that marijuana may not be devil weed, after all.
I feel it's important to emphasize this as we (I assume!) aren;t lawmakers here, and while we can voice our concerns, the biggest thing we can do is refuse to purchase blood products. Diamonds and mj included.

If someone needs mj for HG find a doc who will prescribe marinol!

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
geekgolightly is offline  
#69 of 292 Old 02-10-2009, 11:45 PM
 
ananas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuamami View Post
I've heard people say that a lot. I think they might be surprised to know how many people actually smoke. And frequently.
I totally agree. One of the reason pot gets a bad rap is because of the people you HEAR about smoking it. Many, many people from all walks of life smoke...family people, professional career people, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
Excuse me? That's like saying that someone who occasionally has a couple of drinks to get a buzz is an alcoholic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
Just like if you drink to get drunk, you're on the road to alcoholism. sorry should have been more clear!
I agree with Storm Bride on this...when I drink, it's because I WANT to feel something. If I don't, I stick to water or tea or something. I don't think I'm on the road to alcoholism because I drink TO feel the buzz.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

ananas is offline  
#70 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 12:04 AM
 
MyZoeJane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Algonquin, IL
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My problem with this lies not with the theory or safety of why it might be okay to smoke a controlled amount of pot while pregnant... Rather, my problem with the notion of it being "okay" to smoke pot while pregnant lies within the fallability of human judgement and intelligence, as well as the possible legal ramifications.

If Susie Q is a smarty pants with a severe case of hyperemesis and she is underweight and her baby is suffering nutritional deficiencies due to her nausea and inability to keep enough food down... maybe she can justify that a quick toke of MJ with a vaporizer "but not enough to get high" and "only the purest, safest stash available" is the "best" option for her to address her baby's health issues. Sure, maybe the risk (known and unknown) of pot is less a concern than the immediate and known risk of malnutrition. And heck, it thrills Susie Q to know that this Mother Herb came from the Earth and not a laboratory, right?! (Nevermind the fact that Calotropsis, Loveage, and Hemlock come from the Earth, too, but I ain't ingesting 'em!)

But consider Plain Jane. She's not as smart as Susie Q. She's prone to making her decisions based on what other, smarter people have told her is true. She was told that Susie Q toked some kind bud during her pregnancy so it must be okay for her to do it, too. "Oooh," she says, "I don't have to talk to a professional about my issues to get it, either! I can buy it from Jim Bob down on Weed Street!" But remember, Plain Jane isn't exactly a rocket scientist. She doesn't really understand what "hyperemesis" is and tends to be a bit of a baby when it comes to dealing with anything that causes her discomfort, so her occasional morning sickness must be cause for her to pick up her bong and keep on truckin', right? I mean she's only gained 5 pounds in her first trimester! So it's time to smoke up! And if she doesn't get a good stone on, then she's not really getting the benfit from it, right?

I have a problem when intelligent people contrive convoluted reasons why something that is generally not okay is "actually" okay under certain extreme circumstances. I think it's irresponsible. Does that mean I think that as a member of a larger society that I am somehow responsible for the wellbeing of other members of society? Why yes it does.

The fact of the matter is... If all other things were equal, it probably is not any riskier for a mama to take a single, well-filtered toke of MJ than it is for that mama to pop a Zofran. They both have known and unknown risks. But all things are not equal. Pot is illegal, whether you like it or not. I don't think it's possible to be a good citizen or to be a good example as a parent if you break the law because you happen to "know better." The ramifications of obtaining pot (either from someone else or by growing your own in some super-uber-foolproof-secret vault) are tangible and I have a difficult time swallowing the notion that it would ever be okay to do something that could land me in jail when there are perfectly reasonable alternatives.

I think sometimes people cling to their ideologies too fiercely. I am all for taking a stand against what society dictates as "the norm." But to do so in this case flies in the face of what is good for society as well as what constitutes reasonable risk.

I'll take the Zofran, thanks. My first daughter is alive and healthy because of it, and my next one will be, too. Maybe it has some unknown effect on some babies. But then again, so might pot, right? The sheer fact that pot comes from the ground does not guarantee its safety when ingested, sheesh! I have faith that most intelligent mamas here know that just because something is found in nature doesn't automatically make it any more harmless than something that comes from a lab.

And if you're going to argue that smoking pot "works better" than the alternatives, then all I can say is that it's still not "okay" in my opinion. I'd rather settle for "enough relief to keep me healthy" as opposed to "perfect relief that might land me in jail and sets a bad example."

Ali - Wife to Steve and mom to Zoe - age 7, and Ezra - 17 months (9/2009)
MyZoeJane is offline  
#71 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 09:26 AM
 
herbanmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: over yonder
Posts: 552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I realize that this thread is winding down, but replying on it made me view my username in a new light! I'd like to put it out there that the selection of 'herbanmama' has absolutely nothing to do with pot...more to do with the herbs I grow in my garden, make tea with, and use to heal my family. I don't even use MJ anymore.
herbanmama is offline  
#72 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 10:29 AM
 
darcytrue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: here and there
Posts: 2,653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightBabies View Post
i don't know how it could be safe? if it alters one's mind, wouldn't it alter a growing mind? if it can make one addicted to a hallucinogen, would not a baby get addicted? if it can decrease oxygen and blood flow, wouldnt it do the same for the baby? if it causes side effects for mom, wouldnt it for baby? (imagine the baby getting the munchies inutero ) how does one know it is really really safe...safe level of THC, how does one know where it really came from, and what it if is laced with something else?? it just doesn't seem healthy or safe to me, even if it is organic . i'm always open to reading more about it and learning otherwise. the sources so far aren't evidence based enough for me yet.

beyond that, i don't think it is safe for any pregnant mom to do anything illegal. (im in the south US on the border of mexico, so not going to find it legal here). it's not safe for her to do a "drug deal". it's not safe for her mind to be altered. it's not safe for her to get arrested. it's not safe for her go to a filthy jail for "possession". it's not safe for her to have to pay fines, get a record, and risk her "fit mother" status. it's not safe for her baby to be taken away from her when her bloodwork comes up positive for illegal drugs. (of course if you get it prescribed it would be another story, but where i live, that wouldn't happen). Also it is not safe to smoke pot while breastfeeding-so you put baby at risk there....

Even if it is considered "safe" during pregnancy, because of lack of studies, it is known to not be safe while breastfeeding. THC is transferred into breastmilk- levels can be up to 8 times higher than in the mom's bloodstream. I learned as an IBCLC that exposure to marijuana through breastmilk can delay infant development. The American Academy of Pediatrics considers it as a contraindication for breastfeeding and we are advised to say that moms should abstain from all use of THC while breastfeeding.
i think if a mom wants to smoke a joint with her kid, say when he is 18, then i say go ahead. they can make their own choices at that age. they can weigh the risks and benefits. but until then i wouldnt risk this important part of development for what we dont know.

and on another note. if you live on the border of mexico you may see what i see and hear the stories i hear about drug smuggling. if not, then read up on what is going on and see what marijuana is doing to our families here and abroad. men women and children are all dying to get Americans their pot (among other drugs). as long as there is a demand, they will keep dying. lately women have been kidnapped, decapitated, have had their breast branded by the drug lords . im not saying thats where i think all US pot comes from, of course not, but if its not prescribed/not grown in the US, then please have a second thought.

like i said, just my opinion
I agree with all of this.

I think its selfish for anyone to use a drug, alcohol or smoke while pregnant. All humans are different and how such a drug affects a few pregnancies doesn't mean it will affect ALL pregnancies and babies the same way. All babies are individuals. I want my child to have every change possible at a healthy life. I've seen too many people with children with disabilities around me to purposely do something that may harm my unborn child. I can wait 9 months. I'm an adult and I'm able to do that.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
darcytrue is offline  
#73 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 12:28 PM
 
MyZoeJane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Algonquin, IL
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcytrue View Post
I agree with all of this.

I think its selfish for anyone to use a drug, alcohol or smoke while pregnant. All humans are different and how such a drug affects a few pregnancies doesn't mean it will affect ALL pregnancies and babies the same way. All babies are individuals. I want my child to have every change possible at a healthy life. I've seen too many people with children with disabilities around me to purposely do something that may harm my unborn child. I can wait 9 months. I'm an adult and I'm able to do that.
You're not getting a key element of the argument and that makes your post less valid. The fact is, some women HAVE TO take drugs during their pregnancies, otherwise, they become too unhealthy to carry the pregnancy.

I don't think most of the mamas here are talking about the occasional ache, pain, or inconvenience. Are you suggesting that a women is being selfish if she takes a drug because without it she is physically unable to keep down enough food to to stay alive?

Ali - Wife to Steve and mom to Zoe - age 7, and Ezra - 17 months (9/2009)
MyZoeJane is offline  
#74 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburbian Sacramento
Posts: 4,866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg784 View Post

It is a well known myth that marijuana is linked with mental illness. It actually can HELP some with mental illness so they don't need to take pharmacutecals. There are lots of studies right now about schizophrenia and nicotine, as well as with marijuana. And its the opposite type of link you are implying. Instead of Pot causes.... Pot helps.....

Link please?

While a few people may claim this, in my personal experience (I'm bipolar), mj is horrible for mental illness. I can't tell you how many people (usually schizophrenics) I've met in the hospital that had a psychotic episode just after smoking pot. I've also known it to exacerbate my manic symptoms. And it doesn't mix well with psych meds, it renders them ineffective.
Talula Fairie is offline  
#75 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburbian Sacramento
Posts: 4,866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyZoeJane View Post
You're not getting a key element of the argument and that makes your post less valid. The fact is, some women HAVE TO take drugs during their pregnancies, otherwise, they become too unhealthy to carry the pregnancy.

I don't think most of the mamas here are talking about the occasional ache, pain, or inconvenience. Are you suggesting that a women is being selfish if she takes a drug because without it she is physically unable to keep down enough food to to stay alive?
:
Talula Fairie is offline  
#76 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 12:51 PM
 
Raene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ithaca
Posts: 1,994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:

Mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09)
Raene is offline  
#77 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 12:52 PM
 
Raene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ithaca
Posts: 1,994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Smoking's bad for the lungs...at least if you're going to ingest marijuana while preg, you could eat it...brownies, anyone??! :

Mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09)
Raene is offline  
#78 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 01:06 PM
 
poiyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 861
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
still never tried brownies, and it makes me sad.

To the mamas who don't think you should put any drug into your body, Im just curious - while pregnant do you ingest caffeine or sugar? Both have had numerous studies showing harmful effects on a growing baby - and some inconclusive studies as well.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and Im not trying to convince or sway anyone - Im just trying to figure out where the line is for some people...

Lindsay: DS#1 (06/06) DD#1 (09/07) DS#2 (10/08) DD#2 (06/09). AND A BABY DUE NOVEMBER 2013

poiyt is offline  
#79 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 01:13 PM
 
jeliphish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,027
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This debate could go on forever LOL....but I tell you what: THIS IS TOTALLY OT but I have been CRAVING MJ this whole pregnancy and I have never been a consistant "user". I have used it three times since DD was born in 06 (while she was with my in laws, or parents lol.....but for some reason everynight I either dream about sex (totally gross and inappropriate sex) or smoking weed.

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
jeliphish is offline  
#80 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 01:16 PM
 
Raene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ithaca
Posts: 1,994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FYI marijuana is an herb, not a drug. It's completely God-made...not a scary man-made pill.

Don't get me wrong, I don't use it nor would I ever during pregnancy, but this should be looked at like raspberry leaf, not like Vicodin.

Mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09)
Raene is offline  
#81 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 01:17 PM
 
lilbsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: in the beautiful foothills of NC
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raene View Post
Smoking's bad for the lungs...at least if you're going to ingest marijuana while preg, you could eat it...brownies, anyone??! :
DH is getting these for Valentines Day! I thought it to be a perfect gift! Yummy!

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

lilbsmama is offline  
#82 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 01:24 PM
 
lilbsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: in the beautiful foothills of NC
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just wanted to say: If reefer is a drug, then so is caffeine, chocolate, sugar, coffee and anything else that gets and keeps us going throughout the day. I think that it grows for a reason, we are finding out more and more uses all the time, and it shouldn't be shunned because it gives you a spacey head and the munchies. If you don't like it and you think it's wrong, don't do it. If you understand that it is a plant and a wonderful alternative to many toxic pharmaceuticals, then by all means, toke away.
BTW, I smoked almost everyday of my pregnancy, bc of morning sickness all day everyday, bc I don't take very many medications. MJ does a wonderful job of curbing nausea! stand behind all the plants and trees!

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

lilbsmama is offline  
#83 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 01:32 PM
 
Theoretica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Inside my head (it's quiet here!)
Posts: 3,825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbsmama View Post
DH is getting these for Valentines Day! I thought it to be a perfect gift! Yummy!
He's not pregnant is he? :

:

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
Theoretica is offline  
#84 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 01:37 PM
 
lilbsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: in the beautiful foothills of NC
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoretica View Post
He's not pregnant is he? :

:
no but i would take out a mortgage to pay to see that!

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

lilbsmama is offline  
#85 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 01:58 PM
 
sg784's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the woods
Posts: 1,257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
Link please?

While a few people may claim this, in my personal experience (I'm bipolar), mj is horrible for mental illness. I can't tell you how many people (usually schizophrenics) I've met in the hospital that had a psychotic episode just after smoking pot. I've also known it to exacerbate my manic symptoms. And it doesn't mix well with psych meds, it renders them ineffective.

This is an ecerpt from a book written by a harvard professor

http://www.alternet.org/drugreporter/19687/

http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=3995

http://www.schizophrenia.com/sznews/...es/002767.html
http://www.sfn.org/index.cfm?pagenam...efings_smoking

Im a broc1.giflovinghippie.giffly-by-nursing2.gifcd.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
sg784 is offline  
#86 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 02:06 PM
 
~Sarah~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
Link please?

While a few people may claim this, in my personal experience (I'm bipolar), mj is horrible for mental illness. I can't tell you how many people (usually schizophrenics) I've met in the hospital that had a psychotic episode just after smoking pot. I've also known it to exacerbate my manic symptoms. And it doesn't mix well with psych meds, it renders them ineffective.
That would probably be because there's an abnormality in the THC receptors in the hippocampus of someone with schizophrenia that makes them react differently. http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-mrg061802.php

See, there are receptors in a normal hippocampus that are specifically and EXCLUSIVELY for THC----nothing else. They grew (naturally, with evolution) to receive just marijuana. Makes you think, doesn't it? Why does our brain have a part specifically to feel the effects of THC and nothing else? Is it because we've been using it for so long (like millions of years) that our brains know what to do with it (which is release dopamine and endorphins)?
~Sarah~ is offline  
#87 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 02:32 PM
 
karina5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
Link please?

While a few people may claim this, in my personal experience (I'm bipolar), mj is horrible for mental illness. I can't tell you how many people (usually schizophrenics) I've met in the hospital that had a psychotic episode just after smoking pot. I've also known it to exacerbate my manic symptoms. And it doesn't mix well with psych meds, it renders them ineffective.



Pot helps me big-time with my depression and anxiety. I can see how pot would be calming to many people, but not to everyone.
karina5 is offline  
#88 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 02:34 PM
 
karina5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I smoked a bit of pot while pg w/ DS. Probably about 2-3 times per month. I had just horrible nauseau and anxiety, and pot helps with both.

I'm in the "moderation" camp when it comes to many things, and that includes mj while pg.
karina5 is offline  
#89 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 02:36 PM
 
rhiandmoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Jose CA
Posts: 1,637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raene View Post
FYI marijuana is an herb, not a drug. It's completely God-made...not a scary man-made pill.

Don't get me wrong, I don't use it nor would I ever during pregnancy, but this should be looked at like raspberry leaf, not like Vicodin.
This sentiment makes me crazy. The worlds most lethal toxins are God-made.
rhiandmoi is offline  
#90 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 02:41 PM
 
philomom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 9,430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcytrue View Post
I agree with all of this.

I think its selfish for anyone to use a drug, alcohol or smoke while pregnant. All humans are different and how such a drug affects a few pregnancies doesn't mean it will affect ALL pregnancies and babies the same way. All babies are individuals. I want my child to have every chance possible at a healthy life. I've seen too many people with children with disabilities around me to purposely do something that may harm my unborn child. I can wait 9 months. I'm an adult and I'm able to do that.
Yes. Folks who use drugs, even mj, when kids are in the picture are being selfish and short-sighted.
philomom is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off