smoking pot while pregnant.. is it safe? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbsmama View Post
I lost 23 lbs. in the first 8 weeks of my pregnancy, to 103 lbs. I'm not saying I could have died, but it sure as hell felt like it.
i've been there. i feel ya. my point is pot isn't the only option out there to help, ykwim? plus, this thread isn't about smoking a bowl when the sickness is upon you...it's about whether or not getting high is a big deal or not while being pg. in my opinion, people will either agree or disagree with whether it's okay or not. i'm in the *not* camp.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#122 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizawill View Post
i've been there. i feel ya. my point is pot isn't the only option out there to help, ykwim? plus, this thread isn't about smoking a bowl when the sickness is upon you...it's about whether or not getting high is a big deal or not while being pg. in my opinion, people will either agree or disagree with whether it's okay or not. i'm in the *not* camp.
I agree, although I am an recreational as well as medicinal user, I know that there are other options out there. Pot worked for me, and I trusted it, bc it has worked for me since I started using(not just smoking) it almost 9 years ago. It just seemed to me like you don't think anyone should do it. I think it's about what it all boils down to for you, and it's not for you! I can respect that.

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

#123 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
well i'm glad most mothers would disagree with you.

Actually, I think more mothers would disagree with you.
#124 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
i have yet to hear of someone in western civilization die from morning sickness.
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/mo...g-in-pregnancy

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#125 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 04:07 PM

do you mean i don't think anyone should get high while pregnant ...or no one should get high ever? to clarify. while pregnant, i don't think it's good to smoke pot. i've said that like 50 times. in general, i don't care. now is this a platform of mine??? an agenda i pursue?? no. not even a little. i just stumbled upon this thread and it beats cleaning my house. lol.

#126 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 04:09 PM

I'm shocked there is even debate here.

Of COURSE smoking pot while pregnant is NOT ok. I would think especially on a natural family living site this would be condemned.

No drugs for labor, but LIGHT that bowl during pregnancy! Makes a lot of sense.

Nicole - Mom to FOUR healthy, happy, wild boys.
#127 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post

i'll go read it, but i assume it's just proving me wrong. lol. and that's fine. just take my point for what it was meant to be. other alternatives exist outside of smoking pot to cure morning sickness. certainly, we can all agree on that. if not - go to the health and healing boards here. they are amazing and informative & will prove you wrong, lol. anyway - this thread isn't about that, so let's stay on topic.

okay i read it. 1 death per country? and no details as to what was associated with it other than vomiting? do you think smoking pot would have changed the outcome of those women?

#128 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 04:11 PM

Since I have not seen any studies or heard of anecdotal stories that show that pot is detrimental while pregnant, it's hard for me to get up in arms about it.

For those of you that think it's bad, even in small doses. Why? I don't get it.
#129 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
do you mean i don't think anyone should get high while pregnant ...or no one should get high ever? to clarify. while pregnant, i don't think it's good to smoke pot. i've said that like 50 times. in general, i don't care. now is this a platform of mine??? an agenda i pursue?? no. not even a little. i just stumbled upon this thread and it beats cleaning my house. lol.
I guess both. But i get what you're saying. I am avoiding cleaning like the plague today.

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

#130 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
i'll go read it, but i assume it's just proving me wrong. lol. and that's fine. just take my point for what it was meant to be. other alternatives exist outside of smoking pot to cure morning sickness. certainly, we can all agree on that. if not - go to the health and healing boards here. they are amazing and informative & will prove you wrong, lol. anyway - this thread isn't about that, so let's stay on topic.

But pot is safe and works best for many women, so why wouldn't people use something safe that works well?
#131 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoringTales View Post

Of COURSE smoking pot while pregnant is NOT ok. I would think especially on a natural family living site this would be condemned.

pot is exactly that. natural family living. formula feeding isn't natural but it's not condemned on MDC, is it?

#132 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm so with you on that eye roll.
#133 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karina5 View Post
But pot is safe and works best for many women, so why wouldn't people use something safe that works well?
because there is a stereotype and stigma attached to everything, and it projects an unwanted image, i suppose. Some people just take pot for more than it is, which is.....drumroll.....just a plant. just like every other plant.

I don't believe a word of the bible, but here's my best shot at it :

"Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things." (Genesis 9:3).

#134 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Since I have not seen any studies or heard of anecdotal stories that show that pot is detrimental while pregnant, it's hard for me to get up in arms about it.

For those of you that think it's bad, even in small doses. Why? I don't get it.
Smoking ANYTHING is detrimental during pregnancy.
Quote:
The Dangers of Marijuana Use

As with other drugs, such as alcohol and tobacco, the chemicals found in marijuana enter the baby's body directly when a woman smokes during pregnancy or while breast-feeding, causing toxic effects in the baby. In addition, marijuana use among pregnant women increases the mother's heart rate and blood pressure, which in turn reduces the rate of blood flow to the baby.

Women who smoke marijuana during pregnancy are likely to have babies who are born prematurely and small for their age. Marijuana-exposed babies often experience behavioral problems, central nervous system disorders, tremors and jitters. In addition, they are often difficult to comfort.
Quote:
pot is exactly that. natural family living. formula feeding isn't natural but it's not condemned on MDC, is it?
It isn't exactly applauded either.

#135 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 04:21 PM

okay. here's my thought. you all will disagree ...otherwise you wouldn't smoke pot while pg, right?

i believe it is not in the best interest of the baby.

i'm not going to type 10 supporting paragraphs about it. those are my thoughts. i honestly believe that. based on what? you ask. i've been high many times. pot effects the way i feel and think. i believe it will have the same effect on my child inside me. i don't want that for a baby. you don't have to agree with me. i don't have to agree with you. right?

#136 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
well. i don't think pot is best for baby, lol. shocking i know.

#137 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 04:25 PM

okay. i'm being a complete thread hog. i will go away and be back later! as always....i enjoyed it!!

#138 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:

Well it's your opinion, but your opinion is not fact.
#139 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Smoking ANYTHING is detrimental during pregnancy.

It isn't exactly applauded either.
No it isnt. And if you read many of the posts above many MJ users will say they use vaporizers (so none of the toxins in the smoke) or cook with it in order to have the same affect.

Quote:
okay. here's my thought. you all will disagree ...otherwise you wouldn't smoke pot while pg, right?

i'm not going to type 10 supporting paragraphs about it. those are my thoughts. i honestly believe that. based on what? you ask. i've been high many times. pot effects the way i feel and think. i believe it will have the same effect on my child inside me. i don't want that for a baby. you don't have to agree with me. i don't have to agree with you. right?
Im NOT trying to sway you, nor are you me...but what i REALLY dont understand, and am REALLY looking for someone to explain to me is its totally fine if you dont think its best for baby - but there are TONS of things that women do everyday that arent in the best interest of the baby. I have mentioned caffeine, sugar, hydrogenated oils, not enough exercise, not eating a balanced diet, dehydration...etc..etc...Im really wondering where the line is for people about what things are acceptable even though it isnt in the best interest of the baby.

Quote:

see above comment.

Lindsay: DS#1 (06/06) DD#1 (09/07) DS#2 (10/08) DD#2 (06/09). AND A BABY DUE NOVEMBER 2013

#140 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:

I believe that in some interests it is...and smoking pot during pregnancy is something I will not do - ever. However, in certain cases, such as the severe kind of morning sickness, I certainly believe it's in the best interests of the baby. In other cases...I've seen nothing to convince me that it's not in the best interests of the baby. Sure, it's possible that pot isn't good for babies (although I've never seen anything documented that says this)...but maternal stress, insomnia, excessive vomiting, etc. aren't good for the baby, either. Sometimes, one has to weigh risks...and the risks of pot use don't necessarily trump all others, just because it's illegal, not socially sanctioned and acts as a drug.

As someone who has come to hate pot with a passion, and as someone who has never suffered from morning sickness, it's very easy for me to state that I will never, ever smoke pot during pregnancy. I've never been in a position where it's quite possibly the best thing I could do - but that doesn't mean that position doesn't exist.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#141 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
because there is a stereotype and stigma attached to everything, and it projects an unwanted image, i suppose. Some people just take pot for more than it is, which is.....drumroll.....just a plant. just like every other plant.

I don't believe a word of the bible, but here's my best shot at it :

"Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things." (Genesis 9:3).
I don't smoke every other plant with the intention to get high. Just like (when I'm not pregnant) I don't drink a glass of an alcoholic beverage to get DRUNK. Wine is 'natural'. I'm not downing that during pregnancy either because I'm stressed out.

I hate to break this to you, but I"m not some anti-drug pot is the devil over-reactor here. I've smoked pot, many, many, many times. Then I got married and got pregnant and....drum roll please....GREW UP. My "stoner" days are long gone.

I'd encourage those of you who seem to be addicted to this to seek help. I understand addiction. I understand trying to justify continuing that addiction despite KNOWING that you shouldn't. Just because pot isn't as physically addictive as cigarettes doesn't mean you can't be addicted. Get help. Really. Your kids need you sober and clear headed to make the best decisions for them.

I'm not speaking of someone with severe hyperemesis, either. I think that its clear most people would say that if it was between being hospitalized on iv's and being malnourished, and smoking pot...one would pick smoking pot. I'm not sure that situations actually exists with the medications available for nausea these days, but for argument's sake, we'll assume it does.

#142 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I believe that in some interests it is...and smoking pot during pregnancy is something I will not do - ever. However, in certain cases, such as the severe kind of morning sickness, I certainly believe it's in the best interests of the baby. In other cases...I've seen nothing to convince me that it's not in the best interests of the baby. Sure, it's possible that pot isn't good for babies (although I've never seen anything documented that says this)...but maternal stress, insomnia, excessive vomiting, etc. aren't good for the baby, either. Sometimes, one has to weigh risks...and the risks of pot use don't necessarily trump all others, just because it's illegal, not socially sanctioned and acts as a drug.

As someone who has come to hate pot with a passion, and as someone who has never suffered from morning sickness, it's very easy for me to state that I will never, ever smoke pot during pregnancy. I've never been in a position where it's quite possibly the best thing I could do - but that doesn't mean that position doesn't exist.

ok. i am seriously going to peel my fingers away in 1 minute, lol. this is a good thread!!!

this thread isn't asking about rare instances that pot could benefit mom. and your response implies that no other alternatives exist....it's like either mom is vomiting and has insomnia or she can smoke pot for relief. why is it a big deal that i believe other alternatives exist outside of "this or that".

#143 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 04:32 PM

People that smoke pot occasionally are not "stoners."
#144 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Well it's your opinion, but your opinion is not fact.
that's why i said *think* instead of *fact*.

#145 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
Im NOT trying to sway you, nor are you me...but what i REALLY dont understand, and am REALLY looking for someone to explain to me is its totally fine if you dont think its best for baby - but there are TONS of things that women do everyday that arent in the best interest of the baby. I have mentioned caffeine, sugar, hydrogenated oils, not enough exercise, not eating a balanced diet, dehydration...etc..etc...Im really wondering where the line is for people about what things are acceptable even though it isnt in the best interest of the baby.

yea, i've seen this several times being pointed out. but i'm not arguing that it's all okay and pot's not. i've never implied that.

#146 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:

Exactly, I have my thoughts and you have yours, and we can agree to disagree, and the world is a better place! I'm such a hippie!

#147 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
People that smoke pot occasionally are not "stoners."
If its only occasionally though, what's the big deal to NOT do it for 9 months? Really?

Addiction, I can understand. Medical necessity, I can understand.

Just occasionally wanting to get stoned? Selfish B.S. that makes me wonder what kind of a parent these people are really going to be.

#148 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
If its only occasionally though, what's the big deal to NOT do it for 9 months? Really?

Just occasionally wanting to get stoned? Selfish B.S. that makes me wonder what kind of a parent these people are really going to be.

Do you think someone that has a small glass of wine a few times during their pregnancy is a selfish person who you wonder about, too?
#149 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Do you think someone that has a small glass of wine a few times during their pregnancy is a selfish person who you wonder about, too?
Does that small glass of wine make them drunk?

#150 of 292 Old 02-11-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:

Wow. Thats a pretty harsh statement - but you are entitled to think that way.

Lindsay: DS#1 (06/06) DD#1 (09/07) DS#2 (10/08) DD#2 (06/09). AND A BABY DUE NOVEMBER 2013

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page