Help this picky couple figure out names for their twins! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 106 Old 02-11-2009, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
Just goes to show you that whatever you name your kid at some point they aren't going to appreciate it.
See I always appreciated my name, as common as it is. I just wished every other parent had named their kid something else. LOL

I like Ezra Earendil. I have an Earendil.

Hyrum Haldir is nice too.

My dh loves the name Thranduil and Lorien or Lothlorien has been in our names list for several babies now.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#62 of 106 Old 02-11-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
yeah, as an Elizabeth, I always wished I had a more unique name too.. I even thought about changing it.. but I don't know that I've met anyone who loves their name completely!
I do!! (Although I did go through a stage in middle school of wanting to be Laura, but I think that was just cause I liked Little House on the Prairie lol). But I completely love my name.

Ronna
#63 of 106 Old 02-11-2009, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

That is so funny because I love Thranduil too! When we were pregnant with our first I wanted to make that our son's first name and Dh thought I was nuts. That's when he said we could do Tolkien middle names.

Anyone read Children of Hurin? I love the name Lalaith.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#64 of 106 Old 02-11-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I talked DH down nicely from Zefram, thank goodness.

We can agree on Aengus. The only problem is we only like it spelled with the 'e' but the proper Irish/Gaelic pronunciation is een-gus and we prefer angus. Then again who in this part of the world is really going to look at that and say "een-gus" even if that is what we wanted?

So right now it's kind of looking like our picks could be Hyrum/Aengus and Clementine/Tessa though we are not 100% on our second choices.
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Clementine!!! I don't think Tessa really goes with it though Tessa kind of stands out as the black sheep of all the names.

The boy's names aren't my style, but if you love them that's all that matters!

ETA: I think Hyrum/Ezra would be a better combo

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#65 of 106 Old 02-11-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
So right now it's kind of looking like our picks could be Hyrum/Aengus and Clementine/Tessa though we are not 100% on our second choices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Clementine!!! I don't think Tessa really goes with it though Tessa kind of stands out as the black sheep of all the names.
I agree about Tessa. It sounds very modern/trendy compared to the other names-- even cheerleader-ish. It is a fine name, it just doesn't match the others at all!

Clementine is a great name. Let's see, I can't think of any girl names from Tolkein that start with C to go with Clementine. Hmmm. I'll keep thinking.

For Aengus of course there is Aragorn. That's kind of obvious though-- but still a good one. Still can't think of an H Tolkein name that I really like.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#66 of 106 Old 02-11-2009, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not really invested in Tessa. I love Byrd just as much. The problem is I have already used such beautiful girl names I feel sort of content and like "I'm here again?!" if that makes any sense.

And it doesn't help that DH refuses to discuss girl names.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#67 of 106 Old 02-11-2009, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Also we are going to do something different with the boy names. We'll probably give them 2 middle names and the Tolkien one won't have to match their first name's letter.

#68 of 106 Old 02-11-2009, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Me again! I need to remember all my thoughts when I am posting.

The thing with the name Byrd is I love Byrd Beren. I just love love love that name. But as the Tolkien-ites here know Beren was a man. I'm just not sure if I care about that or not....

#69 of 106 Old 02-11-2009, 01:59 PM

I worked with a young man named Beren. He was such a sweetheart, just a really great guy.

I know you don't want to do the matchy-matchy thing, but Byrd and Beren would be adorable brother-sister names.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#70 of 106 Old 02-11-2009, 02:29 PM

Hyrum has been on the top of our boys names list for years.

:
#71 of 106 Old 02-11-2009, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenivere View Post
Hyrum has been on the top of our boys names list for years.
Well then you better not have a boy today

#72 of 106 Old 02-11-2009, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I really want you to use N and P names for the lmnop thing I do love Byrd and Beren as Brother-sister names!

Boys: Noam, Nigel, Nils and Nico or Peter, Peregrin, Perrin, Pascal and Philip
Girls: Neviah, Niamh, Naomi and Nigella or Paloma, Padma, Penelope, Phoebe

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#73 of 106 Old 02-11-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post
If I wanted to do a Tolkein name, honestly I'd pick Tom. Tom Bombadil is the character I would most like my kid named after, even though I'm not a fan of the name Tom.
Or Bombadil...who says it has to be a character's first name

Quote:
The thing with the name Byrd is I love Byrd Beren. I just love love love that name. But as the Tolkien-ites here know Beren was a man. I'm just not sure if I care about that or not....
Um, there are lots of girls who have names that were originally boys names: Sharon, Kelly, Shannon, Tracy, Tyler, Taylor, Madison, McKenzie, Sam....the list goes on and on. It's a trendy sort of thing when the name first starts crossing over, but then it becomes standard (like Kelly or Shannon)...so I think if you like Byrd Beren then go for it...who cares the source of the name. If you can name a daughter after a forest, you can name her after a guy

I like Haldir with an H...good guy too...but if you're breaking up the matching initial thing then you can do whatever of course.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#74 of 106 Old 02-11-2009, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
I worked with a young man named Beren. He was such a sweetheart, just a really great guy.

I know you don't want to do the matchy-matchy thing, but Byrd and Beren would be adorable brother-sister names.
Cornelius and Clementine would be so cute too, IMO.

#75 of 106 Old 02-11-2009, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
Um, there are lots of girls who have names that were originally boys names: Sharon, Kelly, Shannon, Tracy, Tyler, Taylor, Madison, McKenzie, Sam....the list goes on and on. It's a trendy sort of thing when the name first starts crossing over, but then it becomes standard (like Kelly or Shannon)...so I think if you like Byrd Beren then go for it...who cares the source of the name. If you can name a daughter after a forest, you can name her after a guy
Very true (BTW Hilary is such a great boys name).

The other issue with Beren is I'm wondering if I should care that Lilith's middle name is Luthien. I honestly don't. Just trying to fish out if I'll care down the road, ykwim?

#76 of 106 Old 02-11-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Well then you better not have a boy today
I'd like it to come today but I don't have a clue what it's going to be. Honestly though we haven't decided on names and probably won't till it's a few days old.

:
#77 of 106 Old 02-11-2009, 05:10 PM

I love Elanor for a girl and Hiram for a boy.
I also really like Byrd for a girl and Noam for a boy.
#78 of 106 Old 02-12-2009, 01:34 AM

I love Elanor.
Baren is pretty cool too.
Although every time you type out Aegnus I think of beef. Angus beef. Mmm, I want a hamburger. J/k, It really just makes me want to throw up.
#79 of 106 Old 02-12-2009, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Food for thought- concern for what the masses might think or what that future wife/boss/etc might think is the same excuse a lot of parents use to circ their sons not to mention vax. No thanks. It's never a good excuse.

You're saying that "a lot of parents" vax their children because of what other people (BOSSES and FUTURE WIVES) might think?? Really?
That's a bit of a sweeping statement IMHO-

In fact I can't really see how vax/circ could be compared to naming your child an unusual name at all actually.
It's not really the same thing at all
#80 of 106 Old 02-12-2009, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancechylde View Post

You're saying that "a lot of parents" vax their children because of what other people (BOSSES and FUTURE WIVES) might think?? Really?
That's a bit of a sweeping statement IMHO-

In fact I can't really see how vax/circ could be compared to naming your child an unusual name at all actually.
It's not really the same thing at all
It's catering to other people. That's where they meet. As parents we shouldn't do things (anything) just to cater to the masses. Unless you disagree.

And yes the majority of people I talk to IRL about circ and vax do it because "that's what people just do" and "what about when he gets married? What if his wife thinks it's ugly?" and "what if his boss won't hire him not being vax'd and all?" and "what if people find out he's not vax'd? They'll be afraid to go near him!" and so on.

#81 of 106 Old 02-12-2009, 02:23 PM

This is such a great name thread!

When i saw you mention Byrd I thought of a friend of DH's that has the name Bridie. I always heard it as "Brighty" and think either one of those names are pretty cool!

Do the syllables of your name possibilities matter to you? You have 3, 2 syllable names and would it throw things off to have a 1 or 3 syllable name thrown in there? I like Atticus & Clementine together or Wren and Noam (or Elanor & Clementine) Ezra and Tessa is cute but definitely more trendy.

Will you be finding out the genders ahead of time?

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#82 of 106 Old 02-12-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus.blossom View Post
Do the syllables of your name possibilities matter to you? You have 3, 2 syllable names and would it throw things off to have a 1 or 3 syllable name thrown in there? I like Atticus & Clementine together or Wren and Noam (or Elanor & Clementine) Ezra and Tessa is cute but definitely more trendy.

Will you be finding out the genders ahead of time?
I like Elanor and Clementine too.. great combo

#83 of 106 Old 02-12-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Actually I am not going for creativity. We are LDS and the brother of Joseph Smith spelled it Hyrum. Trust me we can't stand those creative spellings. But Hyrum/Hiram/Hirum has been spelled numerous ways for 100+ years now.
I wondered

"Well behaved women seldom make history." Laurel Ulrich   To make my mark I familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFhbac.gif waterbirth.jpgcd.gif adoptionheart-1.gif, among other things,  and try to live a sustainable, natural life. My brood includes DD1, DS1 2 and 3, and expecting another in Aug 2014. 
#84 of 106 Old 02-12-2009, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyvangy View Post
I wondered
Why? Do I have green jello in my teeth? :

#85 of 106 Old 02-12-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Why? Do I have green jello in my teeth? :

#86 of 106 Old 02-12-2009, 10:32 PM

Well I don't have much to add--I just read through this post and all my ideas have been stated and you've replied to them! But, I just wanted to say first that I LOVE your taste in names--similar to my own taste if I were naming kids without DH! LOL. And, I love the name Hyrum (and being LDS myself I thought the other spellings were the creative ones!) My first thought to go with it was Ezra. I love that name and would have used it in a second if DH would allow me, but he hates EVERYTHING and keeps my choices completely NORMAL. I also like Solomon, and love Elias. I LOVE Hazel, Ruby and Lydia.

Good luck and CONGRATS on the twiins!! (I am SOOO glad you aren't naming them "matchy" I can't stand that.)

Mama to DD 8 * DS 6 * DS 2
Expecting #4 Late Nov 2011
#87 of 106 Old 02-13-2009, 12:57 AM

You've gotten a lot of interesting suggestions. I thought I'd mention one more.

Cyrus - I think Cyrus goes well with Hyrum and is a cute name. Maybe Cyrus Cirdan.

Cirdan was minor character in The Lord of the Rings trilogy. He was a ShipWright at the Grey Havens. He was the last Elf to sail west. He played a very minor role towards the end of the story. My info on him comes from http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Ramp...ncharlotr.html
#88 of 106 Old 02-13-2009, 01:39 AM

Solomon is my maiden name. Keep in mind, your kid will be called Salamander for years and years if you go with this.

I've never read LOTR (I "read" the Hobbit. Couldn't stand it) but I really like the name Eowyn. What about Elanor Eowyn?

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#89 of 106 Old 02-13-2009, 03:28 PM

So, I love this thread. Your criteria for names are mostly different than mine but I LOVE that you are equally as picky as I am! I am not a big Tolkien fan, so I'm no help there. But I really think you should go for K & N or N & P, just because. I also think your three girls all have such "classic" names that sticking with "classic" first names might be a good thing, boy or girl.

Have you tried this site? I love it. All the info on meaning, popularity (over time), sibling matches, etc. are there.

Went ahead and searched. Here are some 2 syllable names that are not SUPER popular (a couple might be too popular for you, depending) that are K, N or P names that I think go well with Lilith, Mable and Olive, that have not already been mentioned:

Boys: Kenan, Kendrick, Kenneth, Kingsley, Padraig. Philip was mentioned, and I can't remember if you responded to it, but I really like it with your daughter's names.

Girls: Nanette, Patience, Portia. Phoebe was mentioned, and is relatively popular, but I love it with your daughter's names.

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

#90 of 106 Old 02-13-2009, 06:36 PM

Have you thought of actually using Tolkien as a middle name?

and FWIW Eidth was his wife's name. So, if you like it, it could be a middle name?

Who knows? I have to admit that your post stumped me.

Married to my best friend, expecting #1 6/09. Little angel came early- 4/10/09, 2lbs 5oz. Lilah Grace:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page